The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Newcastle

Hi,

Im most probably going to be starting durham in october, just wondering how easy it is to get to newcastle? I hear its 20 minute train and a 3.50 return ticket?

How far is St. James park or the metro centre from the station, for example? Would probally want to vist those places at least once or twice.

I guess due to the size of Durham its probally much easier to find a job in Newcastle aswell, does anyone have any experience of that?

Thanks,

Andy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got a bus from Stanley (small village in Co Durham) to the Metro Centre in Gateshead for £3.90, so I'd imagine its a similar price from Durham.

I saw plenty of vacancy notices around the shops as well. :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
St.James' is two metro stops or a 15 minute walk from Central Station.

The Metro Centre ---- hmm its quite a way from Central Station. (About 10 miles at a guess, its south of river) Totally not worth going to imo, shop in newcastle instead

(I live in Newcastle btw.)
Lardydah
Hi,

Im most probably going to be starting durham in october, just wondering how easy it is to get to newcastle? I hear its 20 minute train and a 3.50 return ticket?

How far is St. James park or the metro centre from the station, for example? Would probally want to vist those places at least once or twice.

I guess due to the size of Durham its probally much easier to find a job in Newcastle aswell, does anyone have any experience of that?

Thanks,

Andy

i had an open day at durham today,just got back.i had 6 hours to kill so i went to newcastle.£5.10 return, 20 mins
Reply 4
another economist
i had an open day at durham today,just got back.i had 6 hours to kill so i went to newcastle.£5.10 return, 20 mins

Do you have a railcard?
nope
Reply 6
It's nearer £3.50 with a railcard. :yy:
Reply 7
£3.35!
Reply 8
Jelkin
£3.35!

:eek4:
Reply 9
Heartbreaker
St.James' is two metro stops or a 15 minute walk from Central Station.

The Metro Centre ---- hmm its quite a way from Central Station. (About 10 miles at a guess, its south of river) Totally not worth going to imo, shop in newcastle instead

(I live in Newcastle btw.)

The thing about living in Newcastle is that you get a kind of bias! I would agree that I never really need to go to the Metrocentre and instead just stay in Newcastle...

BUT for those who are at Durham, the Metrocentre is a haven! Firstly there are maps all over the place showing you where shops are (unlike Newcastle City Centre). Everything is under one big roof (unlike Newcastle CC). There is a larger variety of shops than Newcastle CC, and it being a shopping centre means it's one of those things "OOOhhh it's a masssive shopping centre, how impressive" etc etc to people who haven't been there before, unlike Newcastle, which is essentially just another city full of shops :biggrin:

For those at Durham, they can buy a train ticket for the Metrocentre, get a train to Newcastle then not have to wait long for a train to the metrocentre (literally 5-10mins from Newcastle).

Finally, NEVER EVER EVER get a metro from the Central Station to St.James Park. Although just TWO stops away, you will actually have to wait for the metro, travel ONE stop, get off, go upstairs, wait for another metro, then travel one stop before getting off at St James! Instead just walk out of Central Station and up the road for less than 10mins. Honest, walking is quicker, cheaper and easier!

PS. I live in Newcastle too :wink:
Reply 10
Jelkin
£3.35!

And what's annoying - a single is £3.05! :mad:
Reply 11
Thanks for the replies.. seems newcastle is well within reach then! :biggrin:

Whats the story with jobs though? I'll probally end up with a fair bit of saved money, but I imagine by the end of the first term it'll be gone!

Alot of my friends are at uni at the moment and say its quite difficult to get jobs, I imagine the size of Durham makes it even harder?!
Reply 12
dobbs
And what's annoying - a single is £3.05! :mad:

I know! How stupid. I hate train pricing in this country. :mad:
Finally, NEVER EVER EVER get a metro from the Central Station to St.James Park. Although just TWO stops away, you will actually have to wait for the metro, travel ONE stop, get off, go upstairs, wait for another metro, then travel one stop before getting off at St James! Instead just walk out of Central Station and up the road for less than 10mins. Honest, walking is quicker, cheaper and easier!

But for a newbie its probably easier than getting lost. You cant see the stadium from most places in town.
Lardydah
Thanks for the replies.. seems newcastle is well within reach then! :biggrin:

Whats the story with jobs though? I'll probally end up with a fair bit of saved money, but I imagine by the end of the first term it'll be gone!

Alot of my friends are at uni at the moment and say its quite difficult to get jobs, I imagine the size of Durham makes it even harder?!

There are actually loads of jobs in Durham because the DSU and the colleges employ students to work in all the bars, shops and canteens, also there are loads of bars, clubs, restaurants etc. always looking for people. The Careers Advisory Service runs a job shop so it's easy to find jobs there. I very much doubt you would need to go as far afield as Newcastle for employment :-)
x
Reply 15
Heartbreaker
But for a newbie its probably easier than getting lost. You cant see the stadium from most places in town.

No, I still think you're wrong. As long as you look up directions on the internet beforehand, and assuming you're going to St James' during the day (i.e. for a match!) rather than at night then it's really not hard to find at all! Even easier would be to print out a map.

Otherwise, you're going to have to fork out about £1.80 to spend maybe 15minutes waiting for and then getting two metros (moving from one platform to another on a different level) to get there.
Reply 16
It's very, very easy to get to Newcastle on the train. Just go to Durham train station (tickets are 5.90 return without a student railcard) and there are trains there all the time, you would probs only have to wait 15 mins.

To get to the metro you have to go to newcastle and then get another train that takes you right to the metro but make sure you ask for a return ticket to the metro when you buy the ticket at durham.

Just walk to St James, it's 10 mins from Newcastle train station. And for jobs in Durham, you should try ricardo's, they're always hiring and there's lots of new restuarants and bars that have just opened or will be soon so it should be pretty easy to find a job.
Reply 17
hotgoose
To get to the metro you have to go to newcastle and then get another train that takes you right to the metro but make sure you ask for a return ticket to the metro when you buy the ticket at durham.

lol...one of the most confusing sentences I've ever read in my life! :p:

(next time call it the "metrocentre", not the "metro", since the "metro" is the light railway system that runs around Tyne & Wear, not a large shopping centre!)
Reply 18
dobbs
lol...one of the most confusing sentences I've ever read in my life! :p:

(next time call it the "metrocentre", not the "metro", since the "metro" is the light railway system that runs around Tyne & Wear, not a large shopping centre!)

lol.Sorry I'm just so used to calling it 'the metro' instead of the metro centre and i forget that it can confuse people who don't live near it (everyone calls it that). To clarify you need to get a train from durham to Newcasle. then a train from newcastle to the metro centre. But at durham ask for a ticket to the metro centre.
Reply 19
Awesome, Thanks.. Hopefully will be able to get some away tickets for a game or two!

Good to hear about jobs, would want at least a little bit of cash coming in every so often. Travelling to Newcastle for a job would be a bit of a pain, considering I'll be at Aidans, which if I remember is about the furthest you can get from the station.

Latest