The Student Room Group

What Should I Do??

Hey,
Some time ago i had an exam, but the exam was not set in exam conditions as people where playing drums and singing music in the background. So i wrote a letter of complaint to my school and examining board.
Today i received a reply from the school which is full of lies!!!
I Quote

"The examinations officer was present at the start of the exam and closed the windows"
this is not the truth, she was present for a few minutes of the exam and about 10 minutes into the exam where only the INVIDULATOR was present were the windows closed, and i was the one that begged for the windows to be closed!

"the music rooms were cleared form students rehearsing"
Again a lie! i could hear music for over an hour in to the exam.

"other students present in the same examination room confirmed that they were not disturbed by any noise during the exam"
Once again lie, and what a big lie because i am aware of another student who also posted a letter of complaint to the school. further more you could here every one in the exam sigh because of the noise.

"all candidates in examination confirmed they were satisfied with the exam thirty minutes before the official finishing time"
Lie, Lie, Lie, i complied on numerous occasions that i could not concentrate, like come on DRUMS, SINGING, MUSIC. and the only reason why i said i finished was becasue i became soooooo demoralised and felt pressured by the the other candidates to finish early.

"the examinations officer was present at the end of the exam and the candidates did not mention he was unhappy with the exam"
Once again Lie, she was not present at the end of the exam, and the whole point of me posting the letter of compliant was to inform the school i had a hard time.

what should i do?? should i just give up??:frown: , and get over the fact that i can't do anything about it :frown: .
get all the students who were in the exam to sign you letter?
Reply 2
yup, and get the ones who can be bothered to write letters of complaint to the exam board and the school.
:ditto: Make it a combined effort.
Reply 4
nimz
Hey,
Some time ago i had an exam, but the exam was not set in exam conditions as people where playing drums and singing music in the background. So i wrote a letter of complaint to my school and examining board.
Today i received a reply from the school which is full of lies!!!
I Quote

"The examinations officer was present at the start of the exam and closed the windows"
this is not the truth, she was present for a few minutes of the exam and about 10 minutes into the exam where only the INVIDULATOR was present were the windows closed, and i was the one that begged for the windows to be closed!

"the music rooms were cleared form students rehearsing"
Again a lie! i could hear music for over an hour in to the exam.

"other students present in the same examination room confirmed that they were not disturbed by any noise during the exam"
Once again lie, and what a big lie because i am aware of another student who also posted a letter of complaint to the school. further more you could here every one in the exam sigh because of the noise.

"all candidates in examination confirmed they were satisfied with the exam thirty minutes before the official finishing time"
Lie, Lie, Lie, i complied on numerous occasions that i could not concentrate, like come on DRUMS, SINGING, MUSIC. and the only reason why i said i finished was becasue i became soooooo demoralised and felt pressured by the the other candidates to finish early.

"the examinations officer was present at the end of the exam and the candidates did not mention he was unhappy with the exam"
Once again Lie, she was not present at the end of the exam, and the whole point of me posting the letter of compliant was to inform the school i had a hard time.

what should i do?? should i just give up??:frown: , and get over the fact that i can't do anything about it :frown: .

First of all, I want to say I do sympathise with you, because I know how hard it is to complete an exam in such difficult circumstances. However, there are a couple of things I'd like to point out. First of all, just because you are "aware of another student who also posted a letter of complaint to the school", doesn't mean other students who have been asked haven't said there was no problem. Secondly, you shouldn't have said you were finished 30 minutes early if you weren't. I understand you felt pressured but at the end of the day it's your life and your exam, so you have to do what's best for you.

With regards to what you should do, I would consider trying to make an appointment with the school to discuss what happened and what they've said in the letter. Don't get stroppy in the meeting, be fair and rational, and see what happens.
butterfly_girl_5
get all the students who were in the exam to sign you letter?

:ditto: It'll carry more weight if it's everyone saying it and not just you. And if they still don't do anything, setting up a meeting, as ~Bex~ suggested, would be the logical next step.
Reply 6
I definitly wouldn't let it drop, I agree with ~Bex~. Arrange a formal meeting with the appropriate people and go from there.

Many people in our Jan. exams complained about the fact that we had to walk up Steep Hill, (in Lincoln) while it was chucking it down at 9 in the morning, and then sit for 2 hours soaking wet, so college did something about it for the June exams for us.

Plus, when a tutor found out that an invigulators phone went off in an exam she went to the Exams office and complained (from what I've been told)....

So it's definitly worth doing something about it, but also like ~Bex~ said, stick to what you know, and not what you assume others to think, you'll sound more mature and like you want something done about it, rather than just creating a problem.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
All our exams are like that, so I sympathise completely with OP. For some reason, the school have moved all the drum lessons to the room next to ours, so that the GCSE exam is not interrupted by the awful noise incompitent year sevens manage to produce when given a drum set! I have asked "what about us?" kinda thing, but apparently we're more mature and able to cope with it... You do get used to it after a while. And complaining got me nowhere, so you're already doing better than me.
I remember last year a fire alarm went off during my chemistry exam, i'd finished at the time cos it was a gcse re-sit and it was a foundation paper so the paper was piss easy probs could have done it just aswell with the fire alarm going lol but i can imagine that alot of ppl got angry because of it, also they didn't evacuate us for obvious reasons yeah like discussing exam questions but imagine if there was a real fire and we got burnt alive lol. I could imagine me getting really angry if that had happened during an a level exam though

Latest