The Student Room Group

"Why do you want this job?"

Dumbest question ever! "

What the f you think!? Because I need the money.. as we live in a world where you must live like a slave just to get the basics"

Its ridiculous when interviewers ask this. Asif you would be there for any other reason.. You need the money endof

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMG... Can relate yesterday lol.There is this charity fundraising job I want and yesterday this lady who was the assistant asked me why I want the job...she was so ****ing patronising....I was like well, I love charity work and I have done some experience".... that wasn't enough for her and she wanted me to say more loool.I just wanted to say because I want ****ing money. Like God damn.
"Because I want to establish myself in the sector, to gain experience, further my career and become a more responsible person."
(even if you don't mean it)
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
"Because I want to establish myself in the sector, to gain experience, further my career and become a more responsible person."
(even if you don't mean it)

Which you do for the money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You just have to butter them up, say why you love the company and its ethos. It's not hard.
Original post by AsapRocky
Dumbest question ever! "

What the f you think!? Because I need the money.. as we live in a world where you must live like a slave just to get the basics"

Its ridiculous when interviewers ask this. Asif you would be there for any other reason.. You need the money endof

Posted from TSR Mobile

They dont tend to ask it in that way, so you are talking about something that rarely happens.

If you were actually asked that question and that was your answer, then it would be a very poor one and other less dumb candidates would give more effective answers.
Well at new look interviews, they score all your responses out of 10. (Well they did for my group).

When they asked me that I just started with "I feel like I have a lot to offer" then rambled on for an additional 20 seconds about my personality. She gave me a 9 score. Ended up getting the job lol. It's bs but it works i guess.

I don't think I was supposed to see the scores but I peaked before I left
(edited 7 years ago)
I was asked that question at a recent job interview and the money didn't even cross my mind - find a job doing something you love and you'll never feel like you're going to work.*

(Before anyone points it out - Obviously the world revolves around money and you can't survive without it, but the point is that there's got to be something more than just the money when you go for a job that you want to keep, surely).*
Original post by loveleest
OMG... Can relate yesterday lol.There is this charity fundraising job I want and yesterday this lady who was the assistant asked me why I want the job...she was so ****ing patronising....I was like well, I love charity work and I have done some experience".... that wasn't enough for her and she wanted me to say more loool.I just wanted to say because I want ****ing money. Like God damn.

Charity workers are mostly in it for the money
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
They dont tend to ask it in that way, so you are talking about something that rarely happens.

If you were actually asked that question and that was your answer, then it would be a very poor one and other less dumb candidates would give more effective answers.

Idiot thats one of the most common interview questions, clearly you have never been to one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Idiot thats one of the most common interview questions, clearly you have never been to one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They tend to ask.

Why do you want to join this firm/ company or why do you wnat to be a [ whatever the job is].

Clearly your answer has paucity of thought in what the employer is looking for. Practice your interviews more.
Original post by 999tigger
They tend to ask.

Why do you want to join this firm/ company or why do you wnat to be a [ whatever the job is].

Clearly your answer has paucity of thought in what the employer is looking for. Practice your interviews more.

Rekt
This question is really an interesting one, because it underscores how approaches to work shift as you age. When starting out, you need money, so you need a job. If you want more money, you need experience to get a better job. And this dynamic pretty much encapsulates the driving force for all applications.

"Frankly? Because I need money. I heard that you guys had money, and were willing to exchange some of it for time spent using a specific set of basic skills, which I've evaluated and decided I'm competent in. But also I blah blah blah complementary goals blah blah personal development blah blah respect your values."

If I were interviewing other people for jobs at 22, this question would never cross my mind. Of course people want to work here for money.

But as you get older, your reasons for not wanting to work at any particular place starts to grow. I don't want to work someplace where my skills stagnate. I don't want to work where my day-to-day tasks are too repetitive. I don't want to work someplace where they don't believe I have a right to a personal life.

So if I were interviewing other people for jobs now, the question seems very relevant. Why should I invest time and resources training you as our new hire? Convince me it's not a waste of time and money and that you're not going to be out of here the second you think you've got enough experience to earn more money someplace else.

I know people always say to concentrate on the positives, but it may be easier with this kind of question to focus on the negatives. Imagine the worst job in the world for you, and say how this job would be different. "I like how devoted you are to your Continual Development Programme. I like the diversity of the position duties, that there's a wide variety of activities I'll be responsible for. I heard that you had a policy to discourage after-hours calls that I really admire, because it I know it will mean that efforts I give to the organisation during my personal time will be really respected."

But I don't think a lot of people starting out spend much time thinking of things an employer might do, to which they'd say, "Well I wouldn't even want to work at a place that thought that was okay to do."

Posted from TSR Mobile

he called 999tigger an idiot :toofunny:
Original post by 0to100
he called 999tigger an idiot :toofunny:

I know. He wounded me. If i'm an idiot then what does it make him on the food chain?

If you want to get good at interviews, then understand the underlying question an employer is asking and model your answer around that.
Dumbest question ever! "

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I just applied out of boredom......
Reply 16
Because I want to work for this company because it has a reputation for .........balalalala.......... and I would really like to work with product blalallalaallal. NO really I want the money durhhhhhhhhh
Dumbest question ever! "

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a word called aspiration as well you know. Money isn't just everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending