The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
thegman!
My Dad has no formal qualifications what so ever and he earns over £40000 a year.

He wouldnt have started on that though.
University graduates typically have much more earning power.
Reply 21
Yes but I know so many people who have been to uni and have not got a 'proper' job in something that they want to do. I can get a job doing what I want with prospects of a good career. Also learning at a company like BMW is big chance as not many of the big car companies hire that often as I have to spoke to them and this vacancy has only just become open.
Reply 22
I would like to know who starts on 40k a year. Or how many people achieve that with a degree from University within 10 years of working.
Reply 23
Did I ever say my dads first jobs was £40000+? Nope.
Reply 24
you cant take one person in particular and say thats how it is, there are many one-off cases. like my mums bf, he left school with no qualifications and is now earnign 100k+ a year. i think everybody agrees experience is more valued, but qualifications are what employers ask for. so why not go for the safe bet and get both? seems logical otherwise youl be treated as a trained monkey with very little to say for yourself on paper at least.
Reply 25
Exactly. I don't see the logic in not even doing A-levels. They require a basic amount of work and in the long-run it's worth it. Atleast do them!
Reply 26
Ilora-Danon
Without any level 3 qualifications, it's fairly unlikely you'll be looking at a well paid job (40k+) no matter what industry you go into. Unfortunately, qualifications are what most employers want, compared to actual work experience. Qualifications show in paper form that you are skilled, competant and literate - and that's very important in a well paid job.

Are you a government spokesman? Because only the government talk such crap.

ps. I'd do the apprenticeship. It's a lot more financially viable. You can always do a-levels part time too....but with industry experience, you'll get into an automotive degree later, even without the a-levels.
Reply 27
Steeps
its normally the other way round, hence why it's called "industry standard" and not "university standard", and why experience is often taken over qualifications. lecturers can only teach what they know, and a lot of them have been out of the industry for a while or are not fully up to date on the research. if it was me making the choice i'd go with the bmw idea, and hopefully some qualifications can be earned whilst on the job, then consider taking A levels in a couple of years if needed to boost up the CV. being a service apprentice will teach you about cars as you fiddle with them, hands on experience compared to sitting around looking at pictures.

bmw will probably want to keep you for a while after paying for the training, however its not stopping you moving to other garages/continuing study elsewhere after to get into a better job.

aye exactly....and if you work hard etc, theres a good chance they could sponsor a degree for you at a later stage.
Reply 28
I reckon you should explore doing the apprenticeship whilst doing A-Levels on day release or at night school so that if for some reason the apprenticeship doesn't come off how you'd like then you've still got A-Levels to fall back on. Plus there is always the point raised that BMW may sponsor you to do a degree later on, I know Rolls Royce have a scheme where they do this so it could be a good combination of the two (uni and working)
Reply 29
I had to laugh at the person who said that a well paid job was over £40k. Do you really think that someone earning £30k isn't well paid?

To the OP, go for the apprenticeship - if it doesn't work out, you can always do A levels later, but now you've got an oppurtunity to get in to a company you want to work for.
Reply 30
mm.. except no one with ambition aspires to earn just 30k and therefore won't think that 30k is well paid.
Reply 31
aqfrenzy
mm.. except no one with ambition aspires to earn just 30k and therefore won't think that 30k is well paid.

Exactly, to me 30-40k would be a nightmare but im prepared to put in the hard graft to get myself somewhere. To me around 70k is petty well payed and 100K upwards is well payed. Its all about your own ambitions and expectations.
Reply 32
Pookie
I would like to know who starts on 40k a year. Or how many people achieve that with a degree from University within 10 years of working.

All the best graudate jobs will easily see you earning 40K and above after about 3-5 years nevermind 10 years. Investment Banking, Law, Medicine, Big Accountancy Firms, Blue Chip Companys. All these. Of course these are the most competitive jobs and so graduates will be coming from top 20-30 universities and often have internship and practial experience in addition to secure the roles.
Reply 33
simon123
All the best graudate jobs will easily see you earning 40K and above after about 3-5 years nevermind 10 years. Investment Banking, Law, Medicine, Big Accountancy Firms, Blue Chip Companys. All these. Of course these are the most competitive jobs and so graduates will be coming from top 20-30 universities and often have internship and practial experience in addition to secure the roles.

40k in medicine after 3 years?
Reply 34
samba

Okay maybe I shouldnt have put that one in but its not going to be difficult for medical students to reach 70K+
Reply 35
samba

My best friend is on 30k a year in his first year of medicine.
Reply 36
this is about the automotive industry not medicine.
RJ89
Do you really think that someone earning £30k isn't well paid?

That is probably adequate for a teenager.
However, if you only earn that as an adult, you are a complete loser.
It is not difficult to earn over a £120k in law, medicine, veterinary med and investment banking.
Reply 38
acolyte
That is probably adequate for a teenager.
However, if you only earn that as an adult, you are a complete loser.
It is not difficult to earn over a £120k in law, medicine, veterinary med and investment banking.

do you know any *teenagers* earning 30k? I stress the word teenager as it is the one you used, and that would obviously mean someone under the age of 20...

Also, I don't think you can say that people who earn 30k as adults are losers - I realise you're probably only saying it to be obtuse but what about those people who do charity work etc etc? Very worthwhile jobs but by their very nature not well paid!
Reply 39
Nally
do you know any *teenagers* earning 30k? I stress the word teenager as it is the one you used, and that would obviously mean someone under the age of 20...

i know a 17 year old on a summer placement who's being paid £52k pa pro-rata.

Latest

Trending

Trending