The Student Room Group

What do you think of long distance relationships? Would you date someone online?

Hey guys :smile: Just out of curiosity - would you date someone online, knowing they're already a good friend to you, or maybe you just find them attractive on photos? As for me, I would date a guy online only if I was sure we would soon meet - like travel to each other's countries, etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nah.
Maybe, as long as I knew them in person beforehand, and could meet up with them every now and then.
Maybe, but there's always the risk of meeting a pervy santa claus instead of a legit person :erm:
Yeah, I'm in one, it works well :smile:
Original post by Tamuna10
Hey guys :smile: Just out of curiosity - would you date someone online, knowing they're already a good friend to you, or maybe you just find them attractive on photos? As for me, I would date a guy online only if I was sure we would soon meet - like travel to each other's countries, etc.

If they are similar, yes.
If they are just " attractive ", no.

It takes a certain someone to make it succeed... 5 months LDR so far, you'll get mixed emotions and attraction dies off after 1-2 months and butterlies end 4 months, when reality kicks in. its got to be personality attraction.
Nah. I've experienced something similar with speaking to a guy online for 7 years and it was probably a bit wasted for both of us. So I'm probably more biased about long distance relationships than others would be.*

It also isn't the same as sharing real life experiences with that person. If it was only temporary, like a few months, then proceeding to meet regularly, then yeah, but for me I wouldn't want to do that again.*
Nope
Only if we met up and I would only ending up properly liking them after a few meet ups, a lot of people can be different online to how they are in real life.
Only if I knew them in person beforehand and circumstances have led to us being split apart. That being said I'd need to see them every once in a while.

I don't think I could meet someone online first, and establish a relationship before meeting them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had 3 or 4 long distance/online relationships w girls when I catfished them.
We couldn't meet for obvious reasons and so I'd tell them where I live based on where they are so that I was at least 4 hours away. That way they understood that it was difficult to meet.

They were fun while they lasted.
Original post by Anonymous
I've had 3 or 4 long distance/online relationships w girls when I catfished them.
We couldn't meet for obvious reasons and so I'd tell them where I live based on where they are so that I was at least 4 hours away. That way they understood that it was difficult to meet.

idiot
Never would I ever date someone online, its a big no no and a little creepy as you dont actually know the person. It also takes away the excitement of being nervous/flirty with a girl in person.

As for long distance relationship, so long as I like the person and know them well enough and they had to go to their country or whatever, its not too bad so long as I like them a lot. We have a lot of technology which compensates for the distance like Skype etc.

Aren't you just taking one of the storylines from Catfish lol?**
No, I personally wouldn't ever be interested in having a long distance relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tamuna10

I personally would never date someone unless I had physically met them in person, physical attraction and getting to know someones true personality is very hard online, and so I would never go there.

As for long distance relationships, I am in one during term time and it is very difficult for us, we skype every few days and text often but we went from being together almost every day at school and college to now being a 4.5 hour train journey away from eachother. I wouldnt change it though because we are both so happy together and thankfully we have managed to make it work!
Reply 16
My current girlfriend, who I am in an LDR with (well, it's not that long a distance, but neither of us drive yet and she is often busy, so meeting is infrequent), I first spoke to online through a mutual friend. Tbh I get by, but then I've never had a normal one. She is coming to the same university as me in October, in the very likely event of meeting her offer, so I will get to compare and contrast then..
Did a LDR between central Europe and East Asia with my now-wife for two years. It can be done, especially with the modern technology we have now.
Original post by DanielleT192

Aren't you just taking one of the storylines from Catfish lol?**

Nope, I was a catfish for 10 years but I quit it in February. I opened up about it in a thread on here. :smile:
Nope, I was a catfish for 10 years but I quit it in February. I opened up about it in a thread on here. :smile:

Good, I'm glad. That sorta thing can f*** up someone's mind. Doing it to 3 people isn't nice and isn't good for your mentality either.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending