The Student Room Group

Scottish Schools. . . Resitters . . .Applicants

ok. i know iv been online before asking this but i just want to ask again incase any new people have joined.

im a Scottish student who got AABBC in my highers (Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, English respectively) this is below the minimum for scottish entry but i had extreme mitigating circumstances so i applyed anyway and managed to get interviews in Ed and Glasgow. This yr i took AH chem, AH bio, H history and H English(resit).

my edinburgh interview was awful and i was rejected, but for Glasgow it went really well. I was put on the waitinglist and when i asked why i wasnt accepted they said my only problem was my grades.

im in a rural school which never teaches advanced highers so i had to do them like openlearning and i had 1 or 2hrs with a teacher each week. all i had was scholar and my chemistry teacher had never seen the course before so i was very much on my own. i found it really hard but my investigation went very well and i wsa quite confident going into the exams.

In my chemistry exam i froze up. i started panicing and i couldnt think atall, i lost all ability to do calculations (i think i overdid the studying). so i guessed most of the multiple choice answers and the last two Qs on the paper i couldnt answer. . .i didnt even know what it was on about. . .i had never seen the graphs/tables in my life (16 marks lost). Turns out it was a new part of the course and i had been using notes from several years before . . the topic had been mentioned but never fully covered.

my results come out on monday and im terified. I got sooooooo close to getting in and soon my dream is going to be ripped away from me.

im planning on applying to Lincoln and RVC gateway next year(if i manage to get a BC in my advanced highers) so i havent totally given up. . . . but i wanted to go to glasgow so much.

does anyone know of any circumstances where edinburgh or glasgow have admitted Scottish students who have had to resit advanced highers??

when i get my results i was planning on going to glasgow to try and beg, cry and plead with them to let me resit and reapply. but i dont even know how to go about it. . . i have very strong circumstances which can explain my grades both years. . . but i dont know how to get them to have a meeting with me so i can explain. i know im capable of the work/grades.

can anyone think of a way in which i could convince the admissions comittee to meet with me?

sorry for the long and whingey post guys. but i really need help.
im totally stressin bout the same thing. im also probs gonna be foning glasgow up on tuesday begging them 2 let me resit my AH's. my bio exam went crap. when i looked at the multiple choice after i left the exam i realised dat i had misread half the qu. and im terrified bout invest. results. im just worried dat da grade boundries will have went really high 4 some reason. and i only revised 2 days 4 each of my AH, (not incl. da many days i spent doin past papers)
Reply 2
My biology investigation sucked. . it wasnt AH standard experiment but my bio teacher didnt tell me untill the day it was sent away. and i got 68% in the prelim. . .and 82% in the second prelim. . .but he wont let me appeal if i only get a C....(because he doesnt think my NABs werent that standard!!!. . .i passed all the ******in NABs) grrrr.
i had only one prelim in all 3 Ah. i scraped a C in chem and a B in bio. i totally failed maths but i didnt need dat. i thought i did quite well in the exams but then evy1 told me their answers and im not so sure now

just out of curiosity. hav u applied 2 accomodation yet. :biggrin:
Reply 4
no. . . . because i only got onto the waitinglist. . . if i get BB then i may get a formal offer (and if there is no spaces left, then they have said i will be accepted next year)

and i really dont think iv got the B in chemistry either. i think if you get a conditional (BB), then they might let you in with BC. . i know someone who got into edinburgh with CC, but they already had an offer. . . . i dont have an offer ( not an official one).

wow. u got to do 3AHs!!! i had to fight to take one! lol. my school is very small.
im sure u did fine in da exams, evy1 always thinks theve done worse than they actually haf. i keep tellin myself dat there had to be alot of pepol not tryin in chem and bio cause they got unconditonals and didni need good AH results. i just keep tellin myself dat.
how did they let some1 in wif CC. they must af done really well in interview.
lucyrobyn
wow. u got to do 3AHs!!! i had to fight to take one! lol. my school is very small.

i wish i hadni takin 3. took up precious revision tym
Reply 7
she was in fostercare, and had an army scholarship thing. . .i think that helped quite a bit.
Reply 8
anyway. . HELP! have you ever heard of anybody meeting the admissions commitee/ head of admissions before applying?? i want to know if there is anyway of getting an appointment with them. . .because i dont want to just turn up and try to make them listen to me ( that would be quite rude. lol. . . .but ill still do it if i have to!!!!)
Good luck for your results.

You can very easily call up the lady who is the Admissions Tutor at Glasgow. If you call up the vet school and say you wish to speak to her, you will be put through. I have no idea if you can have a personal meeting...! Though Glasgow Uni has an open day in early September and this includes tours to the vet school where there is an opportunity to speak to the admissions tutors if you are well...forward lol It is possible to get them to one side and ask them questions. I'm afraid I don't know if people have got into Glasgow by resitting Advanced Highers. However by the sound of your school...you may be an exception; I mean it's hardly your fault that your school isn't able to teach you to the level that you need. However, if I were you and Glasgow says no, then I would seriously consider the gateway programmes. Glasgow may be the best vet school :wink: but if being a vet is what you really want, then it really doesn't matter which vet school you end up at.
Reply 10
it doesnt matter any more! i got BB in AH chem and bio, which is what glasgow said i had to get to be able to get in this year or reapply. i cant believe i did it! im so happy, i keep crying. thanks for all the support you guys have given me over the last year, looks like i has paid off.

(YEY! i might, possibly, perhaps, maybe, off chance, make it into glasgow vet med!!!!!)
u will get a place! im sure sum1 didni get la results (and i no dats a horrible thing 2 say and its probs me!). when do u hear if ur in!
u should totally apply 2 da vet accom (wolfson!). im sure ther'd be some places left.
Reply 12
U better get in LittleMissVet. . .. im going to need a familiar face in glasgow! im sure youve done great, did u not sign up to get ur results online?? i hope i get in so much. . . i cant believe this is happening, i was convinced i would be resitting.

they took my phone number, name and candidate number and said they would be making decisions on tuesday morning at the earliest. . . .so i dunno wether to wait for them to phone, or ring them myself.

iv decided to phone them at about 10:30/11, coz it gives them time to make decisions. . . but i dont want them to forget about me. wt does everyon else think??
Congratulations! That is awesome! Fingers crossed the lovely ppl at Glasgow will say you can come to the best vet school :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 14
YEY! thanks SlipperyWhenWet!!! Glasgow is truely the greatest. .. could you do me a huge favour??LOL, phone joyce wason and tell her robyn grounds is the greatest TSR person ever and she should accept me straight out fr being absolutely fabulous :wink: tehe, only joking.

im on a total high right now, i think im in shock!
Reply 15
WOOHOO lucyrobyn!! Fingers crossed for you and now me (results next next thurs). Im on Glasgow's waiting list too!

I'm so stupid though, i forgot to ask Bristol and Glasgow why they didnt accept me... though i have a feeling it was lack of vet experience?! ( 1 week, lol).
i just went onto track and it says ive been accepted 2 vet med. YES!!!!!!!! im so happy. da postman hasni delivered ma results yet, but i dont care wat i get cause im goin 2 galsgow. woohoo! :party:

:bumps:
Reply 17
yey! thats so great! weldone! I hope i get in soo much! woooooooo! happy for u!

i just spoke to joyce wason, she says she cant let me know yet, but im high up in the waitinglist and she has to deal with people who havent got their grades first(because they might appeal, etc.). she sounded really hopeful, and said she would contact me in the next few days but i may have to wait until next monday. eek, im so nervous, im not going to leave the house until i get a phone call!!!!
she totally wodni haf sounded hopeful if she didni haf a good reason 2!! it would b so g8 if u got in, evn if was just 2 no dat evy1 i met on da 1st day of class wasni a complete stranger lol. im sure ull get in. i mean they told u dat the only thing they could fing they could find rong wif ur application was ur grades, and u proved 2 them dat they had no reason to worry. :smile:

im staring out da window waitin 4 da postman. i hope dat track wasni wrong 4 sum reason!

Latest

Trending

Trending