The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Quady
Yes
This was for the 2007 intake - its the finalised figures that we saw a snapshot of months ago back around page 15-20 ish on this thread :P

Some figures arn't there though, only 1 of the 8 TiB people is in the University figures.

Major interesting thing was how few GFS people they took on last year.

I've been reading this forum for ages now, and finally couldn't resist joining in!

I was also awaiting the figures in that 2007 report, not that it really matters as it's all in the past now. Last year I failed at the final hurdle for GFS even though my FSAC score of 17.39 would have got me in this year. I must have been fairly close last year, but I've no idea what the pass mark was.

This year my FSAC score wasn't that good, but I got through to get a TIB offer. (Phew!) However, this year I failed at the online tests for GFS, and I'm positive it was that Competency Questionnaire, so you'd better believe it can make a difference! I remember doing that late at night, and not being sure whether to 'act' as a team player or leader. I think I wavered between the two during the test, which probably didn't help. I think starry skies gave good advice on how to approach that.

Finally, this may only apply to TIB people, but I heard almost a month ago which department I'll go to, since when it's been deafeningly quiet. I've contacted the HR people a couple of times, so far without success. However, I may learn more when I go and visit HR next week to show yet more Civil Service people my passport. :confused:
Afternoon All,

I am also one of these avid readers who have been viewing this thread religiously since March and shamefully have not said hello till now. I like someone else mentioned before am off to BERR (all being well) which I am pretty excited about, though not to sure what I’ll be up to there as yet.

All in all how has everyone found this process, and has anyone heard about specific stuff they will be doing?
Although Quady and I will no doubt share more TIB info away from here, I thought I may as well make a response here too.

My FSAC score this time was 16.79, so I would have missed GFS anyway. It was lower than the previous year, despite trying to act on the feedback. I've tried hard to identify why I scored 0.6 less, but can't really figure it out.

I have an offer from the Identity and Passport Service, but I am still waiting for real details almost 3 weeks later. However, they want some paperwork from me, and I've arranged to see them next week, when maybe I'll learn more. Nevertheless the seemingly endless waiting is really getting to me.

And if there are other TIBers out there, please get in touch!
Reply 583
Hey, it's my first time posting here but I've been a regular reader of this forum throughout the whole Fast Stream rigmarole - to all you guys who've been posting here for a long time, let me just say that many of your posts have been a great source of advice and support over the months!

Anyway, thought I'd come out the woodwork now cos I've also been assigned to BERR, like a couple of other ppl. I haven't had any details of the assignment yet, but just wanted to ask - in your opinion is BERR a good place to be stationed? A few months ago some people appeared a bit skeptical on this forum, presumably because the department is so young.
magic12
Hey, it's my first time posting here but I've been a regular reader of this forum throughout the whole Fast Stream rigmarole - to all you guys who've been posting here for a long time, let me just say that many of your posts have been a great source of advice and support over the months!

Anyway, thought I'd come out the woodwork now cos I've also been assigned to BERR, like a couple of other ppl. I haven't had any details of the assignment yet, but just wanted to ask - in your opinion is BERR a good place to be stationed? A few months ago some people appeared a bit skeptical on this forum, presumably because the department is so young.

Young department but full of many old hands - it's the old DTI in all but name. It's lost the "innovation" bit which has been thrown into the new department which incorporates universities and skills (from DfES.)

It'll be a bit of a baptism of fire because of the economic situation - lots of pressure from business in the field of regulatory reform to reduce the impact of the downturn. Could be exciting when it all picks up again.

If you're doing anything on sustainability and the construction industry, keep Communities and Local Government on your radar as they are the custodians of building regulations - and half of our CO2 emissions come from buildings.
Reply 585
magic12

I too was a little unsure of what to make of BERR when i first found out... but after looking at some of the links that gt94sss2 posted as well as the recent publications on the web i am very excited. Looks really interesting and seems to have a lot of cross-over with other departments. You should download the pdf on this page - seems like a good stating point http://www.berr.gov.uk/about/strategy-objectives/index.html.

When are you meeting with them - i am going on the 24th?
Prince Rhyus
Young department but full of many old hands - it's the old DTI in all but name. It's lost the "innovation" bit which has been thrown into the new department which incorporates universities and skills (from DfES.)

It'll be a bit of a baptism of fire because of the economic situation - lots of pressure from business in the field of regulatory reform to reduce the impact of the downturn. Could be exciting when it all picks up again.

If you're doing anything on sustainability and the construction industry, keep Communities and Local Government on your radar as they are the custodians of building regulations - and half of our CO2 emissions come from buildings.

But BERR is also the department most wanted to be axed. Which would be better than the arbitrary cuts across the civil service, non?
Reply 587
I just got this reply from the cabinet office after bugging them all week!

"Dear ****

Thank you for the information about your referee.

We have assigned you to a department, and we hope to tell you where we've assigned you within the next week or so.

Regards,

Alison"

bring on next week! I'm stupidly excited about finding out. I'm crossing my fingers for Ministry of Justice, DIUS or DCFS, but having said that i will now have jinxed it, natch.
moley
But BERR is also the department most wanted to be axed. Which would be better than the arbitrary cuts across the civil service, non?

Axed by whom?

There are loads more candidates for the chop than BERR.

Have a look at the James Review commissioned by the Conservatives just before the 2005 election. Lots of candidates there.
Reply 589
I got DCSF! wooo! really pleased, and not just because the wait it over.
tnj
I got DCSF! wooo! really pleased, and not just because the wait it over.

Congrats, it's a great feeling on many counts. Will be interested to hear how the initial meeting goes.
well done tnj - glad you got what you wanted. It seems from what I've seen on this forum that we've all been pretty happy with what we've got, so it's all good!
Reply 592
I've got DCSF as well! The Grade Manager who is supposed to contact me is based in Sheffield. Does this mean that I will be based in Sheffield? TNJ; Where is the Grade Manager that will contact you based?
Reply 593
JWeather
I've got DCSF as well! The Grade Manager who is supposed to contact me is based in Sheffield. Does this mean that I will be based in Sheffield?

If I had to guess, due to the limited amount of Fast Streamers in each department, I would say most departments only have one Fast Stream grade manager who is likely to be based either in London or wherever that department has put the bulk of their HR staff..
Reply 594
For anyone reading this thread who is thinking of applying for the Fast Stream in Autumn 2009 to start working from September/October 2010 [i.e. not applying this year]

There is the possibility for you to practice an e-tray exercise in advance and get paid for doing so.

The Cabinet Office would like your help in the development of the 2009 Fast Stream selection process. They need about 150 – 200 people to take part in the trials which will be held in Central London.

Eligibility

We want to involve a broad cross-section of university students in this development work but as these are high level tests you will need to:

1. be a UK national whose first language is English
2. have or expect to get at least a 2.1 degree (in any subject)
3. be prepared to give the tests your best effort and treat them as confidential
4. give an undertaking that you will not apply for the 2009 entry for the Civil Service Fast Stream. Although you will not be allowed to apply for the Fast Stream in 2009 you will be able to apply for other civil service jobs in 2009 and you can apply to the Fast Stream for the 2010 or later entries.

Timing

The trials will be held on the 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 18th August 2008. You will only be able to participate in one of the trials. The trials will be half a day.

Note: you are also paid £45 for half a day + travel expenses.

Full details on various websites including here and here

Closing date: 18/7/2008
gt94sss2
If I had to guess, due to the limited amount of Fast Streamers in each department, I would say most departments only have one Fast Stream grade manager who is likely to be based either in London or wherever that department has put the bulk of their HR staff..

As far as I'm aware MoD has two.
Reply 596
moley
MoD definitely has two.

Yes, though MoD (also Home Office/FCO/HMRC) is one of the handful of departments with a reasonably large intake..
Reply 597
Hi JWeather! I think we got copies of the same letter attachment - it said the guy was based in Sheffield and would be in touch 'shortly' .... i'm assuming that we'll be based in london but that HR etc is outsourced to sheffield. That said, the website did say that there are offices in sheffield, darlington and runcorn (i have no idea where that last one is!). Looking forward to meeting you!
Reply 598
Runcorn is between Manchester and Merseyside, near Warrington! I'll keep you informed of any more correspondance
Michael Barber's book, "Instruction to deliver" is worth reading for those of you about to go into the FS - and for those of you in it. It's an interesting insight into the workings of the government and the civil service - Barber's also hired by various departments (on more money than sense as he's at McKinsey's) to help on delivery.

Latest

Trending

Trending