The Student Room Group

Can you trace in a GCSE art exam?

Im in year 11 and my 10 hour exam is coming up soon, as i take around 10+ hours on a A5 piece of work i highly doubt that in my actual exam i will finish a full piece of work which is A4/3.
I chose q1 (detail) and my artist is Sarah Graham, so not the easiest, im targeted an a* and really want that grade.
So if i design what i want my final piece to look like would i be allowed to trace it in the actual exam, because if i have to draw the whole thing out then paint in extreme detail i 10000% will not finish in time. I have been allowed to trace in both of my other projects, however this is the real exam so im unsure i can.
Reply 1
I forgot to add im doing aqa art and design.
Reply 2
Original post by lozzy_654
Im in year 11 and my 10 hour exam is coming up soon, as i take around 10+ hours on a A5 piece of work i highly doubt that in my actual exam i will finish a full piece of work which is A4/3.
I chose q1 (detail) and my artist is Sarah Graham, so not the easiest, im targeted an a* and really want that grade.
So if i design what i want my final piece to look like would i be allowed to trace it in the actual exam, because if i have to draw the whole thing out then paint in extreme detail i 10000% will not finish in time. I have been allowed to trace in both of my other projects, however this is the real exam so im unsure i can.

My art exam is coming up soon as well. If you want to trace, I think you can trace the outline of your piece before the exam, in pencil. Then you can transfer the traced outline quickly onto a new piece of paper during the exam.
No?? And art exam is just like any other exam; you can't just go in, look at some answers and decide what to do later and it's the same with art, you can't do a bit before then go in and finish the rest off. It's a 10 hour exam specifically BECAUSE you have to do it in 10 hours. You can't do anything before or after because that = cheating(?)+ disqualification. I guess if your school lets you get away (which would technically be illegal?) with that but the only thing our school allows us to do before the exam is to stretch a board. All painting/sketching takes place within the 10 hours. After all this is the official exam.

But yh I feel your pain, this is going to kill. The best thing is to not stress too much and aim a bit smaller. Size isn't that important it's just the quality after all. I guess you could try quickly sketching out your final piece over and over at home then by the time exam rolls around you'll be able to sketch it freehand in like half the time. Hope this helps
You can ask your teacher to project the outline of your painting onto the canvas so you can trace but the time you take to trace will be deducted from the 10 hours

Hi, I to am doing the same course and have my exam coming up. I was wondering if they allowed you to trace in the exam.
Reply 6

I think you have to trace it during the actual exam not before so within the 10 hours

Quick Reply

Latest