The Student Room Group

Highest paid weekend job... (gap year)

hey, i am working 9-5 weekdays and just not making enough money to fund my travel plans :frown: anyway i have decided to look for a weekend job because that way i will be forced not to go out as much then thus save money and i will earn more obv.

i was wondering what the highest paid job is around central london that an undergrad could do in weekends, i dont really mind what it is, i hear waitering in some posh areas can be pretty gd with tips, anyone else have any ideas?
Reply 1
Generally speaking Callcenter work is around the max pay rate in most countries.
A mate of mine got a job in Threshers as well as his normal day job so he could save moeny quickly. You could think of getting an evening job in a bar or something too.
Reply 3
bar work seems pretty kl, the only problem is i have no experience at all in it
Reply 4
icy_shadow2006
hey, i am working 9-5 weekdays and just not making enough money to fund my travel plans :frown: anyway i have decided to look for a weekend job because that way i will be forced not to go out as much then thus save money and i will earn more obv.

i was wondering what the highest paid job is around central london that an undergrad could do in weekends, i dont really mind what it is, i hear waitering in some posh areas can be pretty gd with tips, anyone else have any ideas?

What's your day job? I don't even have one of those now :frown:
Reply 5
icy_shadow2006
bar work seems pretty kl, the only problem is i have no experience at all in it

Try to go to a agency and see if you can get a job in hospitality even if its for 1 day. You can put this on your resume when you apply for a bar and they will be a lot more likely to hire you :smile: Thats what worked for me. Did waitering for an event for 1 day.
Reply 6
RaulS1987
Try to go to a agency and see if you can get a job in hospitality even if its for 1 day. You can put this on your resume when you apply for a bar and they will be a lot more likely to hire you :smile: Thats what worked for me. Did waitering for an event for 1 day.

Thanks for the tip.
I'm not a complete lazyarse, just so you know. Worked at a supermarket part-time during sixth-form, and they offered to have me back this year, but I'd rather get something else. I've been travelling, only got back fairly recently, and have been applying to uni more so than job hunting!
Reply 7
Ah sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean to imply you had no experience at all. I meant to get experience in the field of hospitality. If you get some experience that is in the same field but a bit easier than you can put that on your resume and theyll be more likely to hire you to do barwork. Like when I did that event I was in the kitchen cleaning glasses half of my shift. But I could put down event waitering as experience nonetheless. And I did serve drinks for a bit as well.
Reply 8
RaulS1987
Ah sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean to imply you had no experience at all. I meant to get experience in the field of hospitality. If you get some experience that is in the same field but a bit easier than you can put that on your resume and theyll be more likely to hire you to do barwork. Like when I did that event I was in the kitchen cleaning glasses half of my shift. But I could put down event waitering as experience nonetheless. And I did serve drinks for a bit as well.

I hate the whole cycle of experience and work. It seems these days you need experience to even get experience...so how on earth are we supposed to get jobs in some areas when we're denied the experience? :frown:
I applied for some journalism work experience once. Got told to do a journalism degree then come back and ask. That would have been so pointless if I had wanted the work experience to see if I wanted to be a journalist and therefore do a journalism degree!
I have no idea, I don't live in London but you could try http://www.londonjobs.co.uk/prereg/register.html?gclid=CMSDnN2iiY8CFQnolAodLCffjw.
Reply 10
Matthew2007
I hate the whole cycle of experience and work. It seems these days you need experience to even get experience...so how on earth are we supposed to get jobs in some areas when we're denied the experience? :frown:
I applied for some journalism work experience once. Got told to do a journalism degree then come back and ask. That would have been so pointless if I had wanted the work experience to see if I wanted to be a journalist and therefore do a journalism degree!

Thats true. I felt like that too in the beginning, especially when i had NO experience at all. In these cases its best to apply in person and let your charisma and talking persuade them. Journalism is a big thing though. Taking on a rookie is just too much of a risk too them especially when there are more capable people at hand. This is why last-minute one-day jobs are easier to get with little to no experience, they need people, and they need them ASAP :smile:

It sucks though cause I want to end up working as a producer for a video game company. If things don't go well for the film/video game company Im with now I might have to start at the bottom as QA Tester for games :s-smilie:

But thats how you make a career i guess, get experience at a position, and when you have learned enough and got the hang of it move on and apply for a better position, rinse and repeat until you are head publisher of The Sun newsagency or whatever it is in England :P hehe.
Matthew2007
What's your day job? I don't even have one of those now :frown:

im doing admin work at hopsitals, temping, the pay is pretty gd and the work is straightforward. Im temping with reed, just pop into one of their offices and they should be able to sort you out with a job. Admin work pays better way better than retail :smile:

Yeah experience drives me nuts!!! i feel your pain
Reply 12
Hey icy would it be too private to ask what you get payed an hour? Just curious what I could expect when I try to get a job in London. I heard you could expect about 5-6 pound an hour?

Does anyone know what mcdonalds pays? probably minimum wage? Asking cause its what I do in Australia so it would be easy to get in in England as well I reckon and you meet a lot of new people as well.
RaulS1987
Hey icy would it be too private to ask what you get payed an hour? Just curious what I could expect when I try to get a job in London. I heard you could expect about 5-6 pound an hour?

Does anyone know what mcdonalds pays? probably minimum wage? Asking cause its what I do in Australia so it would be easy to get in in England as well I reckon and you meet a lot of new people as well.

lol i dont mind, i get paid about £8 right now for admin work

mcdonalds pays minimum wage, not sure exactly what that is buy i think £5.50
icy_shadow2006
lol i dont mind, i get paid about £8 right now for admin work

mcdonalds pays minimum wage, not sure exactly what that is buy i think £5.50

At my supermarket I got paid £6 an hour.

I tried Reed's online website but to no avail. I think I shall have to go in to my nearest office. Do you know if appointments are needed first?
Matthew2007
At my supermarket I got paid £6 an hour.

I tried Reed's online website but to no avail. I think I shall have to go in to my nearest office. Do you know if appointments are needed first?

yeah i tried online but it was hopeless, just walk in there, that is what i did and i got a job in a coupla mins, they make you take a really straightforward computer test on word, excel and typing and give you an informal interview, make sure you have ni number, refrences with you, and put your cv on their website before.
icy_shadow2006
yeah i tried online but it was hopeless, just walk in there, that is what i did and i got a job in a coupla mins, they make you take a really straightforward computer test on word, excel and typing and give you an informal interview, make sure you have ni number, refrences with you, and put your cv on their website before.

Excellent! Thanks :biggrin: There's a few relatively near (bus/tube journey). Do you live in London? Do you think it's better to go to a big one? And if you're on a gapyear did you lie about that?
yeah i live in london, i went to the one in camden town just a coupla mins away from me, i think the smaller ones may not be able to let you take the test in the office so u have to go home and do an online one so go to one of the bigger ones.

yeah im on a gap year, i just told them the truth, that ill only be workin for a coupla months, and i told them that i had no experience at all. They were ok with it as long as you seem ok, have gd grades, refrence from school...
i dont think it matters to them because contracts are usually only for a month. gd luck
icy_shadow2006
yeah i live in london, i went to the one in camden town just a coupla mins away from me, i think the smaller ones may not be able to let you take the test in the office so u have to go home and do an online one so go to one of the bigger ones.

yeah im on a gap year, i just told them the truth, that ill only be workin for a coupla months, and i told them that i had no experience at all. They were ok with it as long as you seem ok, have gd grades, refrence from school...
i dont think it matters to them because contracts are usually only for a month. gd luck

Thanks :smile: How long did the whole process take? I'm actually meeting some friends in a Camden pub next week...at 5.30, so I'm wondering if I manage to arrange this right before. Do you think an hour is enough? Or two?
So is your contract for one month, or more? Or do you just extend it when you get to the end of the month?
If you want money go for CALL CENTRES and all that related stuff.

I got offered a job at BOX CLEVER with the S.T.T (Sales to Terminate) Department...NOT COLD CALLING. Calling customers who have terminated their contract and ask if they would like to buy their rental product at a discounted price e.g. 80% plus off high street prices. Its really easy and boring as hell. Money was £13,394 per annum. 11am-8pm F### THAT! PLUS it was TOTALLY target drive - which means a guy coming behind your back going "how much you done MATE!!! :biggrin:" *ABBA - Money, Money, Money playing in the background* Anyway enough andecdotes

Its better to work for Charity telecommunications such as Pell and Bales or a survey company such as ICM pays the same (or better) and people don't go "nope I don' t want to buy S###"

Good luck.

I've found a job as a Website Design Consultant (prestigious name for a job thats not THAT hard) with a company 9-6 and working as the same job freelance for another company at £7.50 ph.

I defo need monies for travelling...

Latest

Trending

Trending