Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maths interview questions?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What sort of questions will they ask you in the cambridge interview? My mind tends to free up when I'm being watched after beig asked a question, so any tips for me?

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    my brother went to cambridge studying maths, and i remember him saying he was asked how to cut an orange into 3 equal amounts, onli cutting it twice.....i dnt know what the solution was
    but.......you should talk to your head of year/maths teacher and they realli prepare you for the interview!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Pamiyoo, any advice I get here makes me that little bit more confident about the interview!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stardust, which college are you applying to?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the orange question, what about finding the volume of rotation equation of y^2+x^2=r^2 and working out how to get a third of it or something along those lines
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    then you could cut the third off and halve the remaining two-thirds
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by only nihilism)
    For the orange question, what about finding the volume of rotation equation of y^2+x^2=r^2 and working out how to get a third of it or something along those lines
    Yup that works fine, would be my preferred method of approach. You could simply cut a parallel plane to the first as your second cut, from the other end of the orange, or divide it in half more conventionally .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    Yup that works fine, would be my preferred method of approach. You could simply cut a parallel plane to the first as your second cut, from the other end of the orange, or divide it in half more conventionally .
    ahah! knew i was cambridge material, pity this wasn't a natsci question
    i'm also applying to trinity, good luck simba although your posts/grades suggest you'll walk it
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine got asked the following. This is rather horrible.

You are standing on the shore of a desert island, and looking towards another in the distance. When you hold your arm out, you thumb perfectly blocks the island from view. By taking into account the curvature of the earth (provided), how far away is the island?

I worked through it without huge problems with him the next day, but in an interview I would just have gibbered for a while.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    sounds unpleasant
    i think my blagging technique would be to start drawing a diagram
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't knock it, it helps I can't do anything unless I've got something to doodle on. Even if what I'm doodling isn't anything to do with the question :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    then you could cut the third off and halve the remaining two-thirds
    Is that all you'd have to say? and that's a cambridge question?! :eek:

...madness, seems simple to me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'd get as much credit without doing the integration to find out how the height of the orange relates to its volume and therefore where you cut to get the third :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oooh I'm looking forward to my interview (if I get one!)
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's promising If I had wanted to do Maths and had known that those were potential questions I would be looking for a stout rope around now.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calcium878)
    Oooh I'm looking forward to my interview (if I get one!)
    Same hehe have you seen the maths 'interview' on the Emmanuel website? I think it's Emmanuel anyway!

ahah! knew i was cambridge material, pity this wasn't a natsci question
    i'm also applying to trinity, good luck simba although your posts/grades suggest you'll walk it
    Hehehe, best of luck to you too ! Mmm, everyone seems so confident for me, I'm not so confident myself :p: !
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    Same hehe have you seen the maths 'interview' on the Emmanuel website? I think it's Emmanuel anyway!
    It is indeed. They showed it us on the open day there in April. That girl would be offer-standard the DoS said ;yes;
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is indeed. They showed it us on the open day there in April. That girl would be offer-standard the DoS said ;yes;
    That's wonderful to hear the questions she got asked were pretty easy, I just hope if I get an interview it goes as smoothly!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    That's wonderful to hear the questions she got asked were pretty easy, I just hope if I get an interview it goes as smoothly!
    Yep, I'd love it to go like that :p: We'll see I suppose; it could be a month tomorrow :s:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'd love it to go like that :p: We'll see I suppose; it could be a month tomorrow :s:
    Hehe, yeah, it's exciting! Plus with the SMC on Thursday and BMO1 on 30th November, it's going to be a busy month or two maths-wise!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 5, 2007
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.