The Student Room Group

Feeling Pressured

Hi well basically i am 15 and in year 11 doing my exams june/july 2008. Today me, mum and dad went to an open day sorta thing at the local college to go and see what A-Levels i can take there and also what other information i could find out. Well seeing as i don't know what i want to do my dad was saying that i will have to make my mind up really soon as to what i want to be and from this i have been feeling a little pressure to try and find this magical career that ill enjoy doing whilst getting decent money. I know where he is coming from as i want to choose subjects for my A-Levels that will correspond with my un-found career but did anyone else feel a bit of pressure to try and find a career that you wnat to do at my age? As it seems nearly everyone that i know made their mind up about what they want to be a year or two ago and it sort of feels unfair. But yeh to the point of the topic has or does anyone feel pressure form their parents to find a career?

Olly =]
You don't have to decide on a specific career path right now. Your dad is exagerrating somewhat.

What you do need to decide is on your subjects. I suggest you choose something you enjoy, there is no point doing a subject that you really hate.

There must be something you are remotely interested in? Subject or career wise. I mean, do you like sciences? Or are you more into essay writing? e.g. history/english. Or do you like languages? etc.

good luck choosing your a levels :smile:
Reply 2
Just go with your interests all the way, but also try to leave your options open if you're not sure yet (a good combination of arts and sciences if possible.). I know what I want to do at uni, but I haven't the faintest when it comes to careers. And btw, I'm also in my GCSE year, so you're not the only one. :smile:

As for pressure, hm. My parents have never really asked me about it. It's a bit too early anyways, in my opinion.
Reply 3
true im in my GCSE year to and i too kind of feel pressured about waht i want to do :0
Reply 4
I only felt pressured career-wise at the end of Year 12. Before I had ideas but wasn't worried about what I'd eventually end up doing.

You still have a lot of time to decide; bear that in mind :smile:
Reply 5
Agree with above poster. You only sort of feel pressured career-wise at the end of year 12, when you have to apply to universities.

Since you still are in year 11, all you have to think about is what to do for A-levels. If you don't know what to take, I suggest you DON'T take the subjects you hate. For example, for me, I definitely knew that I hated art and english, so I chose not to take those.

By listing out subjects that you hate, its a good start.

Latest

Trending

Trending