The Student Room Group

Considering Computer Science GCSE or A level? Read our FAQ here

Are you considering taking Computer Science as a GCSE or A level option? Read below for more information to help educate your decision!

GCSE(9-1)
Fluency in basic mathematics is essential for this course. A interest in programming is also deeply useful and will assist you in the course. Basic English will also be necessary to complete the non-exam assessment and the exams.
The workload for this GCSE will be similar to most other GCSEs. There is plenty of theory to learn, but it should not be too heavy either throughout the course or near exam time. It would be useful to do some regular programming throughout the course, which may add a small amount of work, but if you take this subject you should enjoy programming so that shouldn't be too bad!
When asking questions about studying computer science GCSE, you may find a lot of people say the workload is very heavy. The new 9-1 specification has lightened that workload by reducing the non-exam assessment from 60% to 20%.

Programming (both in specific programming languages and pseudo code)

Data representation (binary, hexadecimal, sound and light representation)

Computer systems (what actually makes up a computer system and what does each part do)

Computer networks (topologies, client-server communication)

Cyber security (threats, prevention)

Ethical, legal and environmental impacts of technology (privacy, copyrighting and more)

Software development (including software life cycles and their benefits).

The course is 20% non-exam assessment, and 80% exam. Each of the main exam board has 2 exams for this subject, worth 40% each. One is comprised of mostly algorithms, programming and data representation, while the other exam is all the other content, although the topics in the first exam can also be assessed in the second exam.
Computer science helps to develop your logic skills, along with other skills such as mathematical reasoning and programming skills. People often go on to study subjects at A level such as computer science, mathematics, further mathematics, product design and business.
A level (new specification)
Common requirements for A level include:
C/B in GCSE Computer Science
6/7 in GCSE Mathematics
5/6 in GCSE English Language
Requirements are different depending on the school/college, so check with your chosen sixth form if you are unsure what the requirements are

The A level Computer Science will go into more depth than the GCSE. The A level course focuses more on the real life application of computer science.

Programming

Data structures

Algorithms

Computation

Data representation

Computer systems

Computer organisation and architecture

Consequences of uses of computing

Communication and networking

Databases

Big data

Functional programming

Problem solving

Again, the workload will be similar to that of most A levels. As for all A levels, work outside the lesson will be essential, including developing your programming skills. Time spent developing your understanding of the theory will also be important.
For the main exam boards there will be two 2 hour and 30 minute written papers worth 40% each, and a non-exam assessment worth 20%. For AQA, one of the written papers will be completed as an on-screen assessment.
A level Computer Science can be a prerequisite for many courses at university. For example, computer science, maths, gaming, product design and many other degrees.
It may also be used to go straight into employment, for example as a computer programmer or game designer.
If I haven’t done GCSEs in computer science but want to do it at a level would that be ok?
Also I want to do it cos I find it interesting even though I know nothing about the subject:rolleyes:
Finally if i do computer science courses in summer could I gain enough knowledge to do at a level
Original post by Lilllyyyy3
If I haven’t done GCSEs in computer science but want to do it at a level would that be ok?
Also I want to do it cos I find it interesting even though I know nothing about the subject:rolleyes:
Finally if i do computer science courses in summer could I gain enough knowledge to do at a level

In my experience schools will usually take you without you having done GCSE so you'd be fine from that respect. Having said that, I think some basic knowledge is pretty essential if you're starting in a class where most have done it. I'd recommend finding out what language you'll be working in and doing a short online course to get some basics sorted before you start :smile: So yes I'd say a course would really help but of course it is possible to do it without, just generally teachers struggle to differentiate between those who have done nothing and those that have a solid GCSE grade so a little bit of knowledge goes a long way in that respect :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you so much, i was really doubting whether to do it or not as most people had put me down on it since i hadn't done anything! i will for sure do some courses on cs in summer lol:biggrin:
Original post by Lemur14
In my experience schools will usually take you without you having done GCSE so you'd be fine from that respect. Having said that, I think some basic knowledge is pretty essential if you're starting in a class where most have done it. I'd recommend finding out what language you'll be working in and doing a short online course to get some basics sorted before you start :smile: So yes I'd say a course would really help but of course it is possible to do it without, just generally teachers struggle to differentiate between those who have done nothing and those that have a solid GCSE grade so a little bit of knowledge goes a long way in that respect :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you so much, i was really doubting whether to do it or not as most people had put me down on it since i hadn't done anything! i will for sure do some courses on cs in summer lol:biggrin:

Plenty of people take up new subjects at A level, computing is less frequent than many but that doesn't mean it's not possible, just some extra work at the start :smile: Although I should probably mention if you're interested in taking it beyond A level then maths would be more useful than CS because that's what most unis etc. Want (and it'll be useful for the A level course too if you're doing both!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh so what type of maths would be in cs?
Original post by Lemur14
Plenty of people take up new subjects at A level, computing is less frequent than many but that doesn't mean it's not possible, just some extra work at the start :smile: Although I should probably mention if you're interested in taking it beyond A level then maths would be more useful than CS because that's what most unis etc. Want (and it'll be useful for the A level course too if you're doing both!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh so what type of maths would be in cs?

It's mostly binary and stuff which isn't on A level, although there's a bit of further maths in there I wouldn't take it just for that! I think it's more the logical thinking that unis like but could be wrong there

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a bit confused about the exam and coursework bit. My teacher told us there is no coursework and there are two papers which are each worth 50%. I'm doing aqa btw.
Original post by Isabel2575
I'm a bit confused about the exam and coursework bit. My teacher told us there is no coursework and there are two papers which are each worth 50%. I'm doing aqa btw.

Is this at GCSE or A level? I believe the GCSE adjusted a couple of years ago to make the non-exam assessment no longer worth any percentage of your final grade :smile:

i’m in the same exact position u r lol. how was your experience?
Original post by contentgreen

Personally I did the GCSE, but from friends who didn't, they often found the coding difficult because there was an assumed level of knowledge which they didn't have. If you're thinking of taking it up I'd recommend doing a beginner's coding course in the language you'll be doing at A level just to give you some basics before you start :yep: If you're really keen you could also read over some GCSE resources too but I think that's less necessary. Hope that helps a little at least :smile:
Original post by contentgreen

So I’ve finished a level this week lol and I ended up not doing computer science but psychology instead and I think that was the best decision for cos I had a friend who did computer science and they had a massssive text book so I’ll prob jus learn how to code through courses and not as an actual subject. Although if u rlly are passionate then go for ittttt
So I’ve finished a level this week lol and I ended up not doing computer science but psychology instead and I think that was the best decision for cos I had a friend who did computer science and they had a massssive text book so I’ll prob jus learn how to code through courses and not as an actual subject. Although if u rlly are passionate then go for ittttt

Thank you, hope ur exams went well!!
Original post by Lemur14
Personally I did the GCSE, but from friends who didn't, they often found the coding difficult because there was an assumed level of knowledge which they didn't have. If you're thinking of taking it up I'd recommend doing a beginner's coding course in the language you'll be doing at A level just to give you some basics before you start :yep: If you're really keen you could also read over some GCSE resources too but I think that's less necessary. Hope that helps a little at least :smile:

Thanks for the advice!!

Latest

Trending

Trending