The Student Room Group

What should I do?

I started college this term doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Spanish and Italian (after choosing between Italian and History)
I then dropped Italian in my first half term because
a)Workload was horrific because it was from scratch
b)The jump in Chemistry was greater than expected and I freaked out

I now really regret not doing 5 AS levels and wish I'd done modern History as originally planned.
Do you think I could take it in A2 as an AS (ie. do 4 A2 level and 1 AS?)
I'm trying to keep my 'vet subjects' perfect as it were and I'm not sure what to do. I know I'd find History a lot easier than Italian, but what about in second year?:confused:

arghhghgg:frown:
any ideas?
Well, If it fits into your timetable next year, then I don't see why doing an extra AS would be a problem. Obviously you'll have to talk it over with the teacher that sorts out all the timetabling and options etc. if you think you'll be able to cope with it, I don't see what the problem will be. If you want to keep all 4 of your present subjects too, it will be a lot of work, but it won't be so bad if you drop Spanish.
Reply 2
You should think very hard if you really want to do that many AS/A2 subjects.

For veterinary medicine, you only need 3 A2 levels and an AS, with usually a need for Biology and Chemistry. The extra subjects are obviously good but beyond 3 A2 is really unneccessary as far as veterinary applications go, it's much more important you get as good grades as you can in Biology and Chemistry; as well as pursuing work experience, etc.

Don't get me wrong it's not a bad thing to do, I personally did my Maths A level in one year as well as doing Bio/Chem/Phys, but it really isn't neccessary, and if it'll possibly cost your Biology and Chemistry results, then don't do it as it'll hurt your application.
I don't think 5 AS is really that neccessary. As long as you have 4 AS and 3 A2 you won't be at a disadvantage.

I don't doubt your capability to do 4A2 and 1AS in Year 13 but an overload on work could cause the rest of your grades to slip. Its more important to get high grades in what you are taking than to get lower grades in 5 subjects.

I know lots of people who dropped down to 4 AS after taking 5 just due to the pressure.

If you think about how difficult it was to do 5 this year, what makes you think that you wont struggle doing the same next year. A2's are made to be harder, and trust me the level of work will step up a gear.

Focus on doing well this year and if you get good grades and feel more comfortable with the subjects then maybe consider it, but I'd wait and see first.
Reply 4
thank you all

I guess I'll see what happens next year :smile:

Latest