The Student Room Group

Cambridge Engineering Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Definately, yes.
Reply 181
ukebert
Definately, yes.

Cool, cool. Incidentally, where did you do your Gap Year? Did you do it through YinI?
Reply 182
RNQ
Cool, cool. Incidentally, where did you do your Gap Year? Did you do it through YinI?

I did it with Faber Maunsell. I actually applied independently, and once I was assured of a placement they retrospectively put mme onto the company placement scheme, and then, once I had arrived, put me into YinI, presumably so that I could go to the management trainning course, which was a massive waste of eeveryoone's time.
Reply 183
ukebert
I did it with Faber Maunsell. I actually applied independently, and once I was assured of a placement they retrospectively put mme onto the company placement scheme, and then, once I had arrived, put me into YinI, presumably so that I could go to the management trainning course, which was a massive waste of eeveryoone's time.

Haha I see. I've applied through YinI, but may apply independently as well to specific companies. I've applied for a direct entry to unis though, because there was no guarantee that I will get a gap year place, but I think I can defer it if I do get an offer from anywhere. Better than applying for deferred entry, and then playing xbox for a year...or is it? :biggrin:
Reply 184
RNQ
Haha I see. I've applied through YinI, but may apply independently as well to specific companies. I've applied for a direct entry to unis though, because there was no guarantee that I will get a gap year place, but I think I can defer it if I do get an offer from anywhere. Better than applying for deferred entry, and then playing xbox for a year...or is it? :biggrin:

I appliied deferred, but iif you can defer it after admission (I'd check that is possible btw, but it probably is) that would be better. Having a year with nothing to do would not be fun, although the first month orr so would probably be pretty fun.

If you do get a YinI place see whether you can start aug/sept and leave around Easter. That gives you lots of time to go travelling annd doing fun things, spending all the money that you carefully earned :p:
Reply 185
ukebert
I appliied deferred, but iif you can defer it after admission (I'd check that is possible btw, but it probably is) that would be better. Having a year with nothing to do would not be fun, although the first month orr so would probably be pretty fun.

If you do get a YinI place see whether you can start aug/sept and leave around Easter. That gives you lots of time to go travelling annd doing fun things, spending all the money that you carefully earned :p:

Haha yea, I'm gonna try and get one that finished around easter/may so I can enjoy a long summer - global warming isn't all bad.

This was said earlier in this thread, and I basically did the same thing. Though I should probably check with other unis on deferring deadlines and such.

-Matt-
To bring a piece of anecdotal evidence... I personally applied for direct entry to my college (as I hadn't at that time secured a placement and had been advised deferring later would be easier than moving from deferred to direct), however my offer was given for deferred entry (even though I hadn't by then got a placement and so asked for it to be deferred). While this may be because I had already mentioned I was planning to defer (personal statement / interview), it might be worth bearing in mind in terms of applications to colleges which encourage deferred entry as it might be the case they would give you a deferred offer even if you didn't originally apply for one.
Reply 186
ukebert
I am very glad that I took it. It's just that the first term will be very very hard for you. Be prepared :p: However, the problems are surmountable as long as you keep reading and practising Maths and Physics, and try to keep up a decent work ethic, i.e. don't, as I did, get into the habit of avoiding, procrastinating and ignoring work. You will need to work when you get here, and if you aren't used to it then it will bbe a shock, as it was to me :p:

How is work going btw? :smile:

I guess that means I should get started on that Best Maths course then.....:rolleyes:

It's going really good..so far everything I've done has been chemistry related. But I think I may start on a long term project on Fluid Dynamics and look at the flow of fuel through pipes....sounds scary..but at least I'll be learning useful stuff! lol

and it's good having lots of students around.

I'm probably gonna do a gap year, if I get a place in the Year in Industry. Some people have said it was really good, some say it wasn't. Probably depends on the placement you get, I'm guessing.

yea SHELL ftw =D
Reply 187
millymoo9

yea SHELL ftw =D

Lol, I'm hoping to get a mech/civil placement.
Reply 188
Lol, I didnt take a gap year still finding the first few weeeks difficult. The only thing I find a breeze is the maths I guess since it is basically Further Maths over again.

I reckon my advice is: If you have your place at Cambridge, do loads of work before you get there, ie, revise A Level material in Further Maths/Physics/Mechanics as it comes up a lot.

Also the course isn't easy and is quite intense so be prepared, cos the workload can be a pain.
Reply 189
millymoo9
I guess that means I should get started on that Best Maths course then.....:rolleyes:

It's going really good..so far everything I've done has been chemistry related. But I think I may start on a long term project on Fluid Dynamics and look at the flow of fuel through pipes....sounds scary..but at least I'll be learning useful stuff! lol

and it's good having lots of students around.

yea SHELL ftw =D

Best Maths is OK, but it's no substitute for real work :p: I goot a distincction by cramming. You won't get away with that at Cambridge :yes:

Your Fluidd Dynamiics project would likely be quite useful actually. Plus it'll ensure that you'll fulfill all your industrial experience requirements, and something to help you get a placement later on.
Reply 190
ukebert
Best Maths is OK, but it's no substitute for real work :p: I goot a distincction by cramming. You won't get away with that at Cambridge :yes:

Your Fluidd Dynamiics project would likely be quite useful actually. Plus it'll ensure that you'll fulfill all your industrial experience requirements, and something to help you get a placement later on.

so I should do more proper work? :frown:

I was wondering whether you (or anyone else who sees this) would know of the software that you guys would use for modelling fluids and stuff...
Anyone here applied to peterhouse for engineering?? :smile:
for 2009 entry that is...or are there any existing peterhouse engineers here?
Reply 193
winnythepooh
Anyone here applied to peterhouse for engineering?? :smile:

:rock: yup
yay i found one!!!:hello: do you know of any others? ive been searching the internet and you are the only other peterhouse engineering applicant i have found! perhaps you have had more luck?
ukebert do you do engineering at peterhouse??? who are your college parents? (i am assuming that you are in your first year)
Reply 196
winnythepooh
ukebert do you do engineering at peterhouse??? who are your college parents? (i am assuming that you are in your first year)

I do Engineering at Peterhouse :biggrin:

My mother is Craghyrax (username), my father is a third year philosopher :smile:
ukebert
I do Engineering at Peterhouse :biggrin:

My mother is Craghyrax (username), my father is a third year philosopher :smile:

o she's the one with the dreadlocks! Always wondered who that was. Well now I know...:smile:

I'm so nervous about the interview! just want to get it over with...first ive got to brush up on all my maths again :sadnod: and read all those books i said i have. but thankfully ive still got weeks to get ready :cool:
Reply 198
Hmm I wonder what maths I should go over...any specific topics?

Calculus? Like integration/differentiation?
Reply 199
winnythepooh
o she's the one with the dreadlocks! Always wondered who that was. Well now I know...:smile:

I'm so nervous about the interview! just want to get it over with...first ive got to brush up on all my maths again :sadnod: and read all those books i said i have. but thankfully ive still got weeks to get ready :cool:

Good Luck :smile: Basically the only hint that I can give you for the interview is to try not to panic and be prepared to think.

Don't make things too complicated. If you think that there is a simpple solution, don't assume that it's wrong. It is supposed to be a learning process more than anything else. They want to see how you would react to a supervision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending