The Student Room Group

Cambridge Engineering Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I think Engineering may actually be available at every college - I'm pretty sure only NatSci (and maybe then only if you combine biological and physical) has a larger intake.

Really, it does not matter in the slightest which college you go to. As epitome says Churchill was originally founded to take more science students (Winston Churchill believed scientists were more useful to the country than artsy types) but this does not necessarily mean it's the college for you, for example it is the second furthest college from the engineering department, the furthest being Girton. I've been staying in Churchill the last week and I really don't like the walk from town back to Churchill - the walk back to Robinson is much nicer! Also of course it's not the place to go if you want 15th century architecture.
Reply 81
Has anyone done/Started Preparatory problems yet?
Reply 82
j_jordan
Has anyone done/Started Preparatory problems yet?

I don't need to start doing them for another year:smile: and we still dont know if we got in or not, though Im assuming they'll help where-ever you go.
Reply 83
millymoo9, Can i ask what subjects were specified for your offer? AAAB?
Reply 84
j_jordan
millymoo9, Can i ask what subjects were specified for your offer? AAAB?

B for german and then the As for chem, maths and physics. why, whats yours?
Reply 85
Maths:A
Further Maths:A
Physics:A
Computing:A
Reply 86
j_jordan
Maths:A
Further Maths:A
Physics:A
Computing:A

That sounds very harsh, but hopefully youll be fine :smile:
Reply 87
I'm going to apply engineering and I found a list of recommended reading. I got 'The New Science of Strong Material'by J.E. Gordon. It just like a physics text book but with too much reading. And I find the book is more or less for civil/mechanical Engineering. Can somebody who read it give me a brief summary and is there anything for chemical engineering?
Mank Thanks
Pingy
Erm, why don't you read it yourself? I read the sequel to that book ("Structures" by the same author) and found it similarly dry. If you want something a bit more readable try the one by Adams, it's less technical and is more about the various aspects of the job engineers do.

There's likely plenty of stuff on Chemical engineering. Other books exist beyond the Cambridge reading list. Try Amazon.co.uk or I'm guessing your home town has at least one good library?
Reply 89
thefish_uk
Erm, why don't you read it yourself? I read the sequel to that book ("Structures" by the same author) and found it similarly dry. If you want something a bit more readable try the one by Adams, it's less technical and is more about the various aspects of the job engineers do.

Really? I enjoyed the Structures book quite a lot, actually. The footnotes in particular seemed to be very funny and sarcastic... of course that's just my personal view on the book.
If you can read German than there's a really excellent book about the history of the engineering profession called "Geschichte des Ingenieurs. Ein Beruf in sechs Jahrtausenden" by Walter Kaiser. One of the best books ever, very informative and easy to read...
Pingy
I'm going to apply engineering and I found a list of recommended reading. I got 'The New Science of Strong Material'by J.E. Gordon. It just like a physics text book but with too much reading. And I find the book is more or less for civil/mechanical Engineering. Can somebody who read it give me a brief summary and is there anything for chemical engineering?
Mank Thanks
Pingy

Preparatory reading for chemical engineering is fairly scarce. Have a good look at the whynotchemeng website, but bear in mind you'll have to apply for Chem Eng via either engineering or Natural Sciences so will need to do some reading related to one of the two as that's what you'll study in the first year.
Reply 91
Hello,

Well I'm doing the IB (Higher Maths, Higher Physics, Higher Chemistry, Higher French, Standard English, Standard Economics) and was wondering if I need to do anything extra, especially in Maths, as I'm not taking Further Maths as it isnt an option for IB in my school.

I really want to apply to Trinity, but I'll probably need to do an AEA in Maths, and they're neutral about gap year placements, which I will be doing, whereas others strongly prefer it.

Cheers,

RNQ
Reply 92
im applying to cambridge engineering in 2009, should i make an open application or chose a college? (i dnt rele mind what college i get into but should i make a strategic choice?)
Reply 93
A.J.B
im applying to cambridge engineering in 2009, should i make an open application or chose a college? (i dnt rele mind what college i get into but should i make a strategic choice?)

You can make an open application if you want to - that is to say it's not gonna harm your chances of admission - but you should really think about looking at the colleges' websites or visiting cambridge because I'm sure you're not completely indifferent about the college you'll go to.
Some people dislike King's because it's just too big for them or they wouldn't like living a little further away like in Homerton. So it would be best for you to pick one college you like. Which is not going to influence your chances either...
Reply 94
huhu
You can make an open application if you want to - that is to say it's not gonna harm your chances of admission - but you should really think about looking at the colleges' websites or visiting cambridge because I'm sure you're not completely indifferent about the college you'll go to.
Some people dislike King's because it's just too big for them or they wouldn't like living a little further away like in Homerton. So it would be best for you to pick one college you like. Which is not going to influence your chances either...

Which is better then, from a strategic point of view, Pembroke or King's
From a strategic point of view your best bet is an open application. Simple as.

Beyond that, there should be information out there about how the different colleges feel about gap years/year in industry and taking or not taking further maths. If you're chosing a college it makes sense to look at those tables and pick one that likes your choices.
Reply 96
Scary Monster
From a strategic point of view your best bet is an open application. Simple as.

Beyond that, there should be information out there about how the different colleges feel about gap years/year in industry and taking or not taking further maths. If you're chosing a college it makes sense to look at those tables and pick one that likes your choices.

What if you get allocated to a college that requires you to take STEP? I heard they should be pretty tough ... So I wouldn't say an open application is one's best bet.
If I had to choose between Pembroke and King's I would take Pembroke... but that's just my opinion.
Reply 97
Would I need further maths if I do Higher Maths for IB ?
Reply 98
I would recommend Pembroke, as I will be doing engineering there from October. They only wanted AAA from me, no STEP or anything. The interview was also relatively easy. Although I am going to Pembroke, I think King's is a much more beautiful college, however.
Reply 99
I would recommend King's only if you have or planning to take a gap year. Because I applied to King's and one thing that probably stood against me getting in is the fact they prefer people who take a gap year, nevertheless I was pooled to Girton.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending