The Student Room Group

Cambridge Modern and Medieval Languages (MML) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

:o:
Zoedotdot
Medieval lit? You know that's the one that mr supervises? :p:

I KNOW <3

I think he likes me because him and came to my residential thingy one night and did guest lectures on linguistics and medieval lit, and bertie put up a paragraph on the board and he asked if anyone knew when it was from so I guessed 12th century and billy applauded me :o:
Hello MML people! I only ever seem to come in here when I have a dilemma... I will come back for a proper chat one day I promise!

My dilemma is whether or not to go on a language course in France at Easter. I went to Germany at Christmas and found it a really good experience because I stayed with a host family and spoke plenty German. I think it would be a very good idea to go to France and do pretty much the same thing before oral exams next term and try and get some grammar revision out of the way too.

HOWEVER I am very short of money and I am really lacking the energy at the moment needed to organise such a trip properly. My DoS suggests maybe looking at Alliance Francaise courses in London where I live BUT I am concerned that this would not be as good as actually going to France. Also what do I do about applying for a Vacation study grant, I believe the deadline is like tomorrow? :s-smilie:

What do you lot think?
Reply 962
timelordess
Hello MML people! I only ever seem to come in here when I have a dilemma... I will come back for a proper chat one day I promise!

My dilemma is whether or not to go on a language course in France at Easter. I went to Germany at Christmas and found it a really good experience because I stayed with a host family and spoke plenty German. I think it would be a very good idea to go to France and do pretty much the same thing before oral exams next term and try and get some grammar revision out of the way too.

HOWEVER I am very short of money and I am really lacking the energy at the moment needed to organise such a trip properly. My DoS suggests maybe looking at Alliance Francaise courses in London where I live BUT I am concerned that this would not be as good as actually going to France. Also what do I do about applying for a Vacation study grant, I believe the deadline is like tomorrow? :s-smilie:

What do you lot think?

Now, which of the Newnham linguists I know are you...?

Quickly print off a VSG form (from the MML website, search VSG), fill it in, zip to your DoS to sign it and run it across to the faculty. Doesn't matter if you don't have exact figures for what you'll need; use estimates. And I'm going to Paris with Paris Langues, they look groovy :wink:
Hello Melisto! C'est moi! :p:

Right thanks for your help, I have spoken to another fellow first year who shall be known only as The Language Course Guru and I think I may want to go to Rouen. The crucial thing is to see whether my DoS will get out of her hermit residence i.e. her office. But isn't it breaking the rules if we apply for a grant when we haven't organised the trip yet?! :s-smilie:
timelordess
Hello Melisto! C'est moi! :p:

Right thanks for your help, I have spoken to another fellow first year who shall be known only as The Language Course Guru and I think I may want to go to Rouen. The crucial thing is to see whether my DoS will get out of her hermit residence i.e. her office. But isn't it breaking the rules if we apply for a grant when we haven't organised the trip yet?! :s-smilie:

No. I haven't finalised my trip to Siberia yet but I'm still applying for a grant. Just get a ballpark idea of how much you'll need, add a couple of hundred to everything, write down a school that you might want to go to and make it up a little bit and it will be fine :smile: Definitely do though - you're entitled to two during your degree but the VSGs will exist only in a 'severly reduced form' next year so do it nowwww!
Zoedotdot
Just get a ballpark idea of how much you'll need, add a couple of hundred to everything

:biggrin: I like this idea very much. A couple of hundred could get me to Paris for the weekend after my course finishes when my mates are going on their jolly to go and find Agnes Varda. Thanks for your help too Zoedotdot!
Zoedotdot
No. I haven't finalised my trip to Siberia yet but I'm still applying for a grant. Just get a ballpark idea of how much you'll need, add a couple of hundred to everything, write down a school that you might want to go to and make it up a little bit and it will be fine :smile: Definitely do though - you're entitled to two during your degree but the VSGs will exist only in a 'severly reduced form' next year so do it nowwww!

So so true!! I got a VSG last Easter, and it was literally just a 3-day trip to Paris just to check it out! My DoS was incredibly supportive of this idea as well, and seeing as the Faculty is willing to pay for it, go for it!! All you need is a concept!
Reply 967
I'm beginning to feel putting honest estimates on my VSG might have been a mistake!

ALSO, thinking about papers for the rest of my degree and stuff. Basically I like German language and am pffft about German literature, and I'm a bit iffy about French language but love French literature. Is it normal in 4th year to take lang. papers in one language and have your scheduled papers dominated by another one? Many exciting combinations beckon... oo, borrowed papers... etc.
Yeah it's fine, the choice is yours! I'm planning on doing French language stuff, then Fr8, Fr10 and Ge10 -- I know lots of people who are doing similar combos but with 2 german papers, or with one scheduled paper from each language plus one other paper from other Triposes, or one of the random MML comparative ones.
Reply 969
Generally, what's the standard aptitude level that MMLers arrive with in their ab initio language? I've got an offer for 2011 entry French & ab initio Spanish and I was wondering how much Spanish I'll need to learn to not be bottom on the first day.
Reply 970
Apologies if this is too early to be thinking about such things but I was wondering if any of you could give me some tips with revising for/doing the lit exams, as last year I did much worse in the lit exams than I did in my supervision essays.
Crazy_emz
Apologies if this is too early to be thinking about such things but I was wondering if any of you could give me some tips with revising for/doing the lit exams, as last year I did much worse in the lit exams than I did in my supervision essays.

Last year I found that what really helped was writing a really really broad essay for each topic and trying to incorporate all the arguments that could possibly come up. It really helps you get to grips with the key themes of the literature that you're studying, which will give you more of a focus in the exam.
chux
Generally, what's the standard aptitude level that MMLers arrive with in their ab initio language? I've got an offer for 2011 entry French & ab initio Spanish and I was wondering how much Spanish I'll need to learn to not be bottom on the first day.

Do what they tell you to do :smile: When I started Russian most people didn't know anything, but I think Spanish is a bit different. Spain and Spanish speaking countries are more accessible than Russia, so you might find that some people know a bit more than you. But anyway, follow their guidelines, complete all the recommended chapters and then it all evens out after a couple of weeks anyway.
READING LISTS.

People who're there now, when did you get your first year reading lists?
Ziffachan
READING LISTS.

People who're there now, when did you get your first year reading lists?

Most, if not all, of them are on the faculty website. I don't remember which languages you're doing, but I know French and Spanish are definitely up there. I wasn't sent a reading list, just a bit of paper telling me to go and look it up. I think I was given a list of dictionaries and grammar books and textbooky things in August.

EDIT: Voila. You'll be doing ITA1, 2 and 3 and FRB1, 2 and FR1 or 2 I'm asuming :smile:
Reply 975
[QUOTE* get a set of those little revision cards and do one for each topic you can think of in a book - putting the key points and quotes on.
* KEEP READING YOUR TEXTS
*do lots of past papers under timed exam conditions
* identify and memorise a set of the key quotes for each book (ideally the kinds of quotes you could use in lots of different kinds of essays) - put them on your walls if that kind of thing works for you.
* talk to supervisors if you have any issues about structuring essays.]

Thanks, those are really good ideas :smile:

Last year I found that what really helped was writing a really really broad essay for each topic and trying to incorporate all the arguments that could possibly come up. It really helps you get to grips with the key themes of the literature that you're studying, which will give you more of a focus in the exam.

That sounds good...my supervision essays are fairly detailed but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to write some more just for myself. Basically, my problem with lit exams is that I haven't quite got to grips with what a good exam essay should be like and also that I tend to panic when I see the questions.
Zoedotdot
Most, if not all, of them are on the faculty website. I don't remember which languages you're doing, but I know French and Spanish are definitely up there. I wasn't sent a reading list, just a bit of paper telling me to go and look it up. I think I was given a list of dictionaries and grammar books and textbooky things in August.

EDIT: Voila. You'll be doing ITA1, 2 and 3 and FRB1, 2 and FR1 or 2 I'm asuming :smile:

Oh I know i've seen those, but I want ones for 2010/11 :frown: When did it update for you?
Reply 977
OK so I have a question about Fr2. Sorry if it's been asked before...

Anyways, I'm a gap year student right now and last summer I was sent the reading list for Fr2; they'll probably send it again this year I guess. I didn't really look at it till now and have decided to buy/read them now since I have time. Thing is, I noticed it's the 2009/2010 year (Le Conte de Floire et Blanchefleur, L'Heptaméron, Phèdre, Lettres persanes, Thérèse Raquin and Cléo de 5 à 7). I was wondering if this reading list is likely to change for the 2010/2011 year? How often to they change the set texts? I don't want to buy/read them all to find that there are different set texts for the year I start the course!
Reply 978
kto_1990
OK so I have a question about Fr2. Sorry if it's been asked before...

Anyways, I'm a gap year student right now and last summer I was sent the reading list for Fr2; they'll probably send it again this year I guess. I didn't really look at it till now and have decided to buy/read them now since I have time. Thing is, I noticed it's the 2009/2010 year (Le Conte de Floire et Blanchefleur, L'Heptaméron, Phèdre, Lettres persanes, Thérèse Raquin and Cléo de 5 à 7). I was wondering if this reading list is likely to change for the 2010/2011 year? How often to they change the set texts? I don't want to buy/read them all to find that there are different set texts for the year I start the course!

Hi kto, I think it might be a good idea for you to email whoever sent you the reading list last summer (I'm guessing your DoS) as I've heard rumours that they're changing things around a bit soon, but I'm not sure how or whether it will start this year. Hope you're enjoying your gap year!
Although your post was incredibly detailed, I still have a question.
I'll be apply to do French and Russian (ab initio), and I was wondering if you knew when they'll ask for you to submit an essay, and if it's just one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending