The Student Room Group

Cambridge Modern and Medieval Languages (MML) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purplesky
Hi,

I'm in year 12 at the moment and wondered if anyone could recommend some good French literature which is not too hard. So far I've read L'Avare by Moliere and L'Etranger, both of which I really enjoyed, but I'd like to try some different authors and I'm not sure where to go next. Also, how much did you read before you applied? I'm worried I won't have enough!

yeah so i'm on this thread for an unrelated reason, i'm not at cambridge or anything but 'un secret' by philippe grimbert is a good book thats not too heavy, its fairly easy to read and moves fast, and it has interesting potential further reading/discussion about its context etc. so maybe try that? :smile: also the film is good. but read the book before seeing the film!

i also have a question of my own - i hope this is the right place to ask it, if not i apologise!
i'm going for an interview next week at sidney sussex, for spanish and ab initio portuguese and i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if you are expected to speak in the ab initio language at all, if they would ever ask you to/put you on the spot?
its just that i said in my personal statement that i'd been studying portuguese at home,which is true, but i'm no way near being able to speak, even a little bit!
anyway.. i can't find anything on the website and so if anyone could help me i'd be so so so grateful!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by coupdefoudre
yeah so i'm on this thread for an unrelated reason, i'm not at cambridge or anything but 'un secret' by philippe grimbert is a good book thats not too heavy, its fairly easy to read and moves fast, and it has interesting potential further reading/discussion about its context etc. so maybe try that? :smile: also the film is good. but read the book before seeing the film!

i also have a question of my own - i hope this is the right place to ask it, if not i apologise!
i'm going for an interview next week at sidney sussex, for spanish and ab initio portuguese and i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if you are expected to speak in the ab initio language at all, if they would ever ask you to/put you on the spot?
its just that i said in my personal statement that i'd been studying portuguese at home,which is true, but i'm no way near being able to speak, even a little bit!
anyway.. i can't find anything on the website and so if anyone could help me i'd be so so so grateful!

Hi coupdefoudre (nice username! :smile:). I'm a Cambridge MML student on my year abroad and whilst I don't know a huge amount about ab-initio langauges (both mine were post A-level), I'm pretty sure that they won't expect you know a huge amount. As you've mentioned in your PS that you've been studying a bit of Portuguese, they may ask you about that/even see if you can talk a bit but don't worry if it's difficult, they won't have huge expectations. And I don't know who's interviewing you, but I've had Spanish language classes/language supervisions with some of the Sidney fellows and they're really nice, so don't feel scared on that account. Yes, they will 'put you on the spot' to see how you think but they're not trying to catch you out, they want to see you at your best.

Suerte!

It's very unlikely that they will... They might ask for some very basic knowledge, like reading some words that look like Spanish or English words and guessing what they mean, but you won't be asked to speak it I shouldn't have thought :smile:
Original post by Zoedotdot

Original post by Crazy_emz

thank you so much to you both!

Thank you! I'll check it out, sounds interesting :smile:
Original post by Canned Door
I really wouldn't worry about reading 'too much' or 'too little'. Read stuff you think you'll enjoy because you want to read it. I forced myself to read Candide before my interview and I didn't understand it very well and hated reading it. So now I have an irrational hatred of Voltaire. Hah. I really like Anna Gavalda - she's a contemporary author, colloquial to a certain extent, which is a breath of fresh air in French lit, and Ensemble, c'est tout was a really emotive book, I found, and very readable. The film was nowhere near as good, but it has Guillaume Canet and Audrey Tautou so it wasn't all bad :tongue: She's written some short stories as well, which I also liked, but E,CT is my personal fave, anyway :smile: Huis Clos by Sartre is a short play I was recommended to read when I was in Y12, thinking about it. It was a tough read, but interesting.

Speaking of Guillaume Canet... Jeu d'enfants. Best. Film. Ever. (almost) Can't recommend it enough.

Thank you! I'll look out for Anna Gavalda and also Jeu d'enfants, as I've heard loads of good things about it :smile:
Reply 1186

They don't expect you to speak in the ab initio language; at least, they didn't at St John's when I was interviewed! They just asked me to justify my reasons for studying a Spanish from scratch, what I liked about it etc and whether I'd read any Hispanic literature in translation.
Reply 1187
I got an offer today for French and Spanish (post A-Level) from King's College Cambridge today!! Very happy indeed :biggrin:
Original post by aconnell
I got an offer today for French and Spanish (post A-Level) from King's College Cambridge today!! Very happy indeed :biggrin:

Congratulations! Is it for 2011 entry or 2012 deferred?
Where are all the new MML-ers?!

An offer from Downing today!

Did anyone else have their A* specified? Mine has to be in either French or Greek
Original post by UnderControl

An offer from Downing today!

Did anyone else have their A* specified? Mine has to be in either French or Greek

Oh, they'll be around - they're probably just a bit excited...

My offer was conditional on the basis of an A* in French and two As, so they do make that kind of offer...
Reply 1191
Yay for future MMl-ers!

Applied for French and Spanish (post a-level) to St Catz, got pooled and then fished by Newnham! They haven't specified the offer yet, but I imagine that it will be the standard A*AA.

The last few days have been like a rollercoaster! Well done everyone :smile:!
Reply 1192
Original post by Languages Nutter
Congratulations! Is it for 2011 entry or 2012 deferred?

For 2011 entry! Can't wait, and its 10 months away (provided exams go OK)!!
Original post by Joooanne
Yay for future MMl-ers!

Applied for French and Spanish (post a-level) to St Catz, got pooled and then fished by Newnham! They haven't specified the offer yet, but I imagine that it will be the standard A*AA.

The last few days have been like a rollercoaster! Well done everyone :smile:!

Congratulations to you - and to everyone! I wish you all the best of luck with meeting those pesky conditions. There'll be a place at the desks in the MML Library waiting for you...
Original post by UnderControl

HI! :itsme:
Original post by chai wallah
HI! :itsme:

HI! And congratulations: can I ask which college you've received an offer from?
Reply 1196
For current MML students, what are the computer facilities like for languages students? Also, which channels are available on the live satellite TV feed, specifically for French and Spanish students?
For current MML students, what are the computer facilities like for languages students? Also, which channels are available on the live satellite TV feed, specifically for French and Spanish students?

Don't know about the TV channels as I've never really used them, but computing facilities are generally good. There are about 12 computers in the MML library and a further many in the CALL Facility, also in the MML building, with printer and scanner access and headphones attached to each computer. My favourite part of the CALL facility is the little individual video booths. Each one has a DVD/video player, meaning that you can take out a film from the library and head straight over and watch it in one of the booths :smile: Is there anything more specific you'd like to know about the facilities? I don't use them all that often as I tend to just bring my laptop to the library if I'll need a computer.
Reply 1198
I just wanted to know about the channels that are available. Perhaps another student can tell me.
I just wanted to know about the channels that are available. Perhaps another student can tell me.

It's one per language, basically. And they have arte, which is a joint Franco-German venture. Otherwise:

Arabic Al-Jazeera
Chinese CCTV
Dutch BVN
French TV5
German ARD
Greek ERT Sat
Italian RaiUno
Japanese JSTV
Portuguese RTP i
Russian ORT
Spanish TVE

You can access them in the computer room in the MML faculty, or in the Language Centre on Downing Place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending