Cambridge Modern and Medieval Languages (MML) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Best Cambridge MML College?

Is there a college people suggest for MML

I'm interested in French and Russian.

Thanks
Reply 1381
I've actually done so much research into that myself as I'm applying for MML. It seems location- wise Selwyn is the best as it's five minutes away from where your lectures would be. However, Fitzwilliam, Queens' and Jesus are also good for MML- they seem to take a good few each year. I myself am between Fitz and Queens. :smile:
Reply 1382
what languages do you want to study?
how do you know those ones are goo?

i like corpus christi
Reply 1383
Original post by lk2011
I've actually done so much research into that myself as I'm applying for MML. It seems location- wise Selwyn is the best as it's five minutes away from where your lectures would be. However, Fitzwilliam, Queens' and Jesus are also good for MML- they seem to take a good few each year. I myself am between Fitz and Queens. :smile:

why are those ones good?
Original post by white_l
what languages do you want to study?
how do you know those ones are goo?

i like corpus christi

I wouldn't worry too much about the reputation of each of the colleges - the rankings in the Tompkins Table (the league table of Cambridge colleges) fluctuate year on year. All of the teaching's done through the Faculty anyway, so the college doesn't matter that much. You might as well pick one you like since I'd say you're more likely to succeed academically if you're happy and comfortable in your surroundings! :yes:

If you like Corpus, I'd apply there. However, I will say this - it's a very small college, so I'd check out some other similar-looking ones first to be sure that you'd be happy at Corpus. You might like to look at Pembroke (next door, so a similar location, but with a larger feel), Christ's, Selwyn and Emma, to name but a few. :h:
Reply 1385
Original post by white_l
why are those ones good?

By "good" I mean they take in a fair few MMLers, which means there's probably a bit more of a community vibe as there'll be a few studying the same subject as you :smile:. Obviously the big ones like Trinity also take in a good few for MML too though.

On a purely academic basis, you're going to receive the same quality of teaching no matter where you go so I wouldn't worry about that- there isn't really such thing as a "bad" college.
Reply 1386
A couple of points:

just because there are a good number of MMLers doesn't necessarily mean a great community - we are all split off into different languages/options so can go the entire 4 years never doing the same subjects!! Any 'community' is made by the students there at the time - make the effort, make the community

OP if you are studying Russian I would do some research and find colleges with fellows in Russian - they tend to have a far higher proportion of Russianists (although of course we can't tell whether this is because lots of people think like this or because they like to accept Russianists). For example, in my college (Sidney) typically 2 or 3 out of the 6 or so in each year have Russian. Off the top of my head Jesus and Trinity, also Clare and a few others that I can't remember have decent proportions of Russianists. However, don't take my word for it - do some more research if this is your main criterion!

For MML (except for first year French and other really big languages) all of the teaching is organised centrally so college doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

Generally college choice boils down to size, location and any weird facilities/architecture you want. Think about whether you want to be close to lectures or to the centre of town. If in doubt, try to get to Cam and have a wander round colleges - if anyone tries to charge you as a tourist just say you are a prospective student and they will be nice to you. If they aren't then cross them off your list!!

I would also echo Tortious' comment about Corpus - it is a lovely college but it is absolutely tiny. If this is right for you then great but think about it!
Reply 1387
Hi all,

I am in the process of deciding papers for fourth year (deadline 24th Sep). I'm interested in Ge9 - has anyone done this paper or could anyone give me any advice about whether it is a good option?
Reply 1388
Is anyone else starting ab initio russian in october? I'm starting to get very concerned about the fact that I've done pretty much NOTHING from the language textbook......
Reply 1389
Original post by epilogueofyouth
Hiya! I've just created this account, so I'm a little new and I don't know if this is exactly in the right place. If it isn't, I do apologise!

Okay, so I have just started my AS courses and I'm fairly sure I want to study languages (Italian in particular) at university. I went on a residential trip to Cambridge last summer and fell in love with it, and I am really interested in the course (although I haven't got my hopes up ridiculously high!).

I just wanted to ask what you recommend I should do during the course of the next year or so to improve my chances of being accepted into a university like Cambridge on an MML course? Our school have asked us to start thinking early about our personal statements, and I want to start early so I can have as much done as I can.

I know I should obviously work hard at the languages and read in that language etc, but are there any additional things I should do? Unfortunately, I have never been abroad to Italy, or anywhere for that matter, and I honestly don't see that happening before I apply or go to university at all. Would that affect my chances of getting on a course, if I don't have the means to actually go to the country at all? I know things like volunteering are good to do, too, but is there anything else you recommend? :smile:

I've just applied so I might be of some help, but if any actual MML students have better advice, then ignore me.

When I went to the open day, the professor/admissions tutor who gave the talk said to the best way to show enthusiasm in your PS is by reading in the target language and watching foreign films - so make sure you do that, and that you're prepared to talk about anything you mention in detail at interview. Maybe ask your teacher for film/book recommendations or people on TSR studying the languages you want to do - they were all really helpful when I asked :smile:.

Keeping up to date with news in the countries is good too, so I try and read Le Monde at least once a week, and I watch the news on TF1 on demand online when I remember/have time. I think one of the many good things about MML/language degrees in general is that you can incorporate other interests into it, so if you love art, look at the Renaissance or other Italian art movements, if you like history, learn about periods of Italian history you find interesting and you pretty much take any arts subject and give it a language-related slant.

Generally, try really hard to get good results in all your AS exams and do as few resits as possible, cause (I think) you can't resit any exams at Cambridge and it just doesn't look as good, but it's not the end of the world if you have to do some.

I don't think the fact you've never been to Italy should be a problem, I can't see why they'd reject you for it or anything. There's loads of reasons why you might never have been to a certain country - I'm applying for French & ab initio Spanish, but I last went to Spain when I was 8, because my Mum and Dad prefer to go to France - so if you're really passionate about it and want to study it you should definitely apply.

Also I've applied to Emmanuel and I really, really hope I get in! I fell in love with it when I visited :smile:
Reply 1390
Original post by epilogueofyouth
Hiya! I've just created this account, so I'm a little new and I don't know if this is exactly in the right place. If it isn't, I do apologise!

Okay, so I have just started my AS courses and I'm fairly sure I want to study languages (Italian in particular) at university. I went on a residential trip to Cambridge last summer and fell in love with it, and I am really interested in the course (although I haven't got my hopes up ridiculously high!).

I just wanted to ask what you recommend I should do during the course of the next year or so to improve my chances of being accepted into a university like Cambridge on an MML course? Our school have asked us to start thinking early about our personal statements, and I want to start early so I can have as much done as I can.

I know I should obviously work hard at the languages and read in that language etc, but are there any additional things I should do? Unfortunately, I have never been abroad to Italy, or anywhere for that matter, and I honestly don't see that happening before I apply or go to university at all. Would that affect my chances of getting on a course, if I don't have the means to actually go to the country at all? I know things like volunteering are good to do, too, but is there anything else you recommend? :smile:

Hey,

Don't worry about not having been abroad much. I hadn't either - my school was a complete failure at organising trips - but I put on the SAQ (the questionnaire Cambridge send you when you apply) that I hadn't managed to go abroad as much as I'd like. They understand not everyone's had the same opportunities; it sounds cliché but it really is about the potential :smile:
Reply 1391
Original post by emma1701
Is anyone else starting ab initio russian in october? I'm starting to get very concerned about the fact that I've done pretty much NOTHING from the language textbook......

Well, you've still got time to start. As you probs know, the faculty like it if you turn up with the first 6 chapters done, although many freshers don't bother... your shout really. I'd advise you turn up being able to read and write, more or less, at least.

(I'm an ex-ab initio russian student)
Reply 1392
Where do you specify the languages you want to study at CAMBRIDGE on the UCAS application?

I selected the modern and medieval languages but dnt know where to put the languages i want to do??
Reply 1393
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34218686#post34218686

where do u specify the languages you want to do at cambridge for mod/med languages on UCAS??

Reply 1394
Original post by white_l
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34218686#post34218686

where do u specify the languages you want to do at cambridge for mod/med languages on UCAS??

If my memory serves correctly, you put it in the additional notes section. It doesn't much matter though because Cambridge will send you their own questionnaire when they receive your application (known as the SAQ) and you specify the languages on that. And THEN, just for the really indecisive, they'll ask you to specify your languages again in the forms they send you to fill out before the interview.
Reply 1395
Original post by chux
If my memory serves correctly, you put it in the additional notes section. It doesn't much matter though because Cambridge will send you their own questionnaire when they receive your application (known as the SAQ) and you specify the languages on that. And THEN, just for the really indecisive, they'll ask you to specify your languages again in the forms they send you to fill out before the interview.

thanks so much for your help! :biggrin:
Reply 1396
It'll generally be obvious from your personal statement. and also you have to complete an additional form for Cambridge called the SAQ, you'll declare it then.
Will I be expected to have started learning my ab-initio language (Portuguese) before my interview? Will they ask me anything in Portuguese/give me a text to analyse? If they do I'm totally screwed as I know zero Portuguese but it would be nice to know :P
Does anyone know anything about the format of Part II orals? I know that obviously we have to introduce the topic that we're going to discuss but how long is this meant to be? Is it like a presentation?
Original post by Crazy_emz
Does anyone know anything about the format of Part II orals? I know that obviously we have to introduce the topic that we're going to discuss but how long is this meant to be? Is it like a presentation?

It's definitely not meant to be a presentation. I think you just introduce the topic with a couple of sentences and then it turns into an academic discussion, like a supervision :smile: That's all the advice I've received anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending