The Student Room Group

Cambridge Modern and Medieval Languages (MML) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by Goosegogs
Oh my goodness you make it sound so easy!! :eek: What college did you apply to?

I applied to King's!

& I'm sorry to give the wrong impression... in that it wasn't really that easy at all! Simply because my interview was in English, that doesn't mean that I wasn't given difficult questions about the text, or that I wasn't asked difficult questions about my intentions to study German or my PS! (Although my German interview was a lot better than my French one... and both were definitely much better than the dreadful MML test!).

I don't really mean to scare you either; there's not really much you can do to prepare, and the interview is bound to be challenging, but don't be discouraged afterwards because everyone feels the same way as you do about it! x
Original post by -raisa
I applied to King's!

& I'm sorry to give the wrong impression... in that it wasn't really that easy at all! Simply because my interview was in English, that doesn't mean that I wasn't given difficult questions about the text, or that I wasn't asked difficult questions about my intentions to study German or my PS! (Although my German interview was a lot better than my French one... and both were definitely much better than the dreadful MML test!).

I don't really mean to scare you either; there's not really much you can do to prepare, and the interview is bound to be challenging, but don't be discouraged afterwards because everyone feels the same way as you do about it! x

Go King's!! :party: I've applied there for Spanish and German, and to tell you the truth - I'm bricking it! What is the MML test, there seems to be so little information about it?
Reply 1782
Original post by Stanners95
Go King's!! :party: I've applied there for Spanish and German, and to tell you the truth - I'm bricking it! What is the MML test, there seems to be so little information about it?

Yay King's! (Best college by faaaar :wink: )

You can find information about the MML test here: http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk/prospectus/undergrad/test.html. It appears to have been changed since I applied, because when I did the test, I was expected to summarize the text in a foreign language but my essay was written in English.

Best of luck!! x
Original post by -raisa
Hey! I'm doing ab initio German here, and for my ab initio German interview, I got an English translation of a German poem to analyze. Don't worry, they definitely don't expect any knowledge of German at all, so you will never get a German text!

My interview was also completely in English first half on the text, and then the second half on my PS/why I wanted to study German. I didn't know any German at all when I applied so I definitely wouldn't be here now if my interviewer did test me on my ability to speak and read German!

(P.S. obviously every interviewer is different, so that's just what happened with mine!) x

Thank you for answering! I feel very much relieved (:

Also, is it possible if you could elaborate on the sorts of things they asked you about the text? And is it important to have a good knowledge of German culture and history?

Oh and one more thing, how much of the French interview is in French? And what sort of general topics would normally be discussed? (so, about the reading, reasons for taking French, your PS, etc.)

Sorry for all these questions! It's just so fantastic that's there's someone with experience to ask. I really appreciate it!
Reply 1784
Original post by TheHumpadump
Thank you for answering! I feel very much relieved (:

Also, is it possible if you could elaborate on the sorts of things they asked you about the text? And is it important to have a good knowledge of German culture and history?

Oh and one more thing, how much of the French interview is in French? And what sort of general topics would normally be discussed? (so, about the reading, reasons for taking French, your PS, etc.)

Sorry for all these questions! It's just so fantastic that's there's someone with experience to ask. I really appreciate it!

I don't remember exactly what they asked me, but they were all literary analysis-type questions. (e.g. I was given a poem, so I do remember being asked about rhyme/meter.)

Re: German culture/history, I think it really depends on what you wrote in your PS (so your motivations for studying German ab initio!) I really love German history and wrote quite a bit on it in my PS, so we did discuss that at interview. Just make sure that if you've mentioned a film or a book in your PS, make sure you have seen it/read it and can talk a bit about it!

Only a small part of my interview (maybe ~5 minutes?) was in French; we were discussing the text that I was given, and my interviewer suddenly switched into French without warning, so I was expected to continue in French! I did get asked some general questions at the beginning of the interview (why MML, why French, why Cambridge, etc.) but the important part of the interview was on the text as well as things I had mentioned in my PS. (Interestingly enough, I had read a lot about existentialism and wrote about that in my PS, and the text I was given to read was also an existentialist text!)

Hope that helped somewhat x
Original post by -raisa
I don't remember exactly what they asked me, but they were all literary analysis-type questions. (e.g. I was given a poem, so I do remember being asked about rhyme/meter.)

Re: German culture/history, I think it really depends on what you wrote in your PS (so your motivations for studying German ab initio!) I really love German history and wrote quite a bit on it in my PS, so we did discuss that at interview. Just make sure that if you've mentioned a film or a book in your PS, make sure you have seen it/read it and can talk a bit about it!

Only a small part of my interview (maybe ~5 minutes?) was in French; we were discussing the text that I was given, and my interviewer suddenly switched into French without warning, so I was expected to continue in French! I did get asked some general questions at the beginning of the interview (why MML, why French, why Cambridge, etc.) but the important part of the interview was on the text as well as things I had mentioned in my PS. (Interestingly enough, I had read a lot about existentialism and wrote about that in my PS, and the text I was given to read was also an existentialist text!)

Hope that helped somewhat x

Meh I'm worried about the analysis of text because I study maths and geography alongside French so don't analyse things like those studying history and English would...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck everyone who has interviews!
Hello all, congrats on your offers :^_^:

I thought I'd make this thread for us to get to know each other a little, so post your:

- Language options
- College
- Offer details (deferred entry?)
Post A Level German Post A Level Russian
Emmanuel
2014 entry (grades permitting!)
French and Spanish (latter is post GCSE)
Newnham!
A*AA in any order! 2014 entry.

I was convinced that if I got an offer the A* would have to be in French as its my only A-Level language (not out of choice though!) but it isn't and I'm so relieved...
Current MML-er here, so if you have any questions, just holler! :smile:
French and Spanish (post A-Level)
St Catharine's
A*AA for 2014 entry

:smile:
Education with French
Homerton
A*AA in any order for 2014 entry! :biggrin:
French and ab initio Italian
Trinity
A*AA in any order for 2014 entry

Still kind of sinking in - absolutely cannot wait!
Forgot to give my own details :colondollar:

German and ab initio Spanish
Fitzwilliam
Received a deferred offer last year, which turned unconditional in August
French and Spanish at Jesus, A*AA! SO excited! :smile:
Hello!

- French and German (both post A level)
- Gonville and Caius
- A*AA 2014

sooooo excited!
Reply 1797
French and Italian
Trinity
A*AA for 2014 entry

I still don't really believe it!! :smile:
I don't think I could be any happier!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Second Year Tringuist here. Any questions about MML or French or Russian or Cambridge let me know :smile:
Reply 1799
I can't even begin to explain how happy the term 'Tringuist' has made me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending