The Student Room Group

Getting sponsored on a Tier 2 visa from a tier 4 student visa

Hello, everyone. Hope everyone is having a great week and a great day. I'm gonna be graduating on 25 June from Glasgow uni and want to switch my visa from tier 4-to tier 2 to work/remain in the UK whilst I continue to research postgrad opportunities and take my GRE. In order to do that, I obviously have to have a job and a company whose willing to sponsor me. The question I have is whether or not anyone else here has made that visa switch or immigrated from outside the EU in general and whether or not you applied for jobs from abroad or whilst in Scotland/UK. I'd only have 4 months to find employment until my Tier 4 expires after graduation and I'd probably have to go back to the U.S on 1 July. That means I essentially have a month to get a company to sponsor me, which is obviously gonna be a stretch. Anyone have any experience with this or advice as to what companies/fields I should look into? Degree's in linguistics, got a lot of science experience as well, mainly physics.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J-SP
Why do you have to go back to the US so soon after graduating?

Finding a job in such a short space of time will be difficult, and even more so if you will be in the US when you’d need to be interviewed.

Getting the visa can easily take up a number of those weeks (can take a couple of months).

It is all possible still, but you should have started looking for work 2-3 months ago to put yourself in the strongest position (if not earlier).

Getting a visa outside of transferring from your student visa will be practically impossible at the moment as the cap on visa numbers has been reached for the last 6 months.

I’ve been applying for jobs. So I’m guessing you don’t know of any schemes or employers? Cheers then.
Original post by J-SP
I don’t even know what you are looking for or where, even if I did feel like I could advise you on where to find a job.

Get down your uni careers service and speak to them. They are likely to be able to help.

Already tried them. They’ve done **** all. Glasgow.
If you have been searching and applying for a job then just continue doing so and hopefully you will get a job.

It is very difficult to get a company to sponsor you to get a Tier 2 visa so most people fail in trying to get one (this is even when switching from a Tier 4 visa which is much easier than leaving the UK and trying to get entry clearance from outside). I remember back when I was in undergrad I knew several people who applying throughout their entire final year and the vast majority of them failed and it's not because they were not strong engineers or because their english skills were particularly poor, but because the employment environment for internationals is very tough. Obviously there were a few that managed to get one (thousands do it every year), but when you look at the official figures you can tell its tough. Only around 6K people or so switched from Tier 4 to Tier 2 in 2017 - even though the number of Tier 4 visas issued per annum runs at around 160K+. When the post-study visa was still in place pre-2012 the number staying on after their studies was over 60K per annum. I should also probably also point out that if you had an official sponsor funding your degree, that sponsor has to give you permission to stay on in the UK, a lot of grads still don't know this even though this rule has been around for a while now.

You might try the Tier 5 option but that option is very limiting as you can't switch from a Tier 5 to a Tier 2 from within the UK so it will prove tricky to get around that in a years time as employers will most likely be less likely to hire someone from a Tier 5 than a Tier 4 (this is especially true in the current environment where people need 45+ points to get a restricted Tier 2 visa granted). The wages that people on Tier 5's usually get are usually very low as they are usually just training positions (near minimum wage, unless you are a PostDoc), at least in the engineering space.
Reply 4
Hi hope the job search is going ok.In recent years it is very difficult to apply for the Tier 2 Visa while outside the UK, so yes your best bet is to find something while in the UK and make the Tier 4- Tier 2 switch.As for types of jobs, you mention you have a degree in linguistics. If you speak any none EU related languages e.g. Mandarin, Russian, Arabic you would have a good chance of finding something, even from an SME. Also if you have any programming skills there is a number of opportunities out there. Failing that there is also the large accountancy and consultancy firms, of which some still have certain programs open ( and which will sponsor you if switching from Tier 4 - Tier 2).

The full list of Tier 2 sponsors can be found on the government website
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714582/2018-06-07-tier-25-register-of-sponsors.pdf

However, I would recommend checking out the following page to see specific jobs that you can apply for.
https://www.linkedin.com/company/t2-visa-jobs/

Hope you find something.
(edited 5 years ago)
Well, it's near impossible for some unknown reason!

I completed my two master's degrees in the UK with Leicester University and can't find a company to sponsor me although I have 17 years of experience, worked in a senior position in one of the top 10 IT providers in the world, have two masters, tons of professional certificates, and the fact that I get around 3-4 calls per day from interested recruiters.

It just looks like that the UK doesn't want any immigrants anymore, no matter how qualified they are!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ashrafkotb
Well, it's near impossible for some unknown reason!

I completed my two master's degrees in the UK with Leicester University and can't find a company to sponsor me although I have 17 years of experience, worked in a senior position in one of the top 10 IT providers in the world, have two masters, tons of professional certificates, and the fact that I get around 3-4 calls per day from interested recruiters.

It just looks like that the UK doesn't want any immigrants anymore, not matter how qualified they are!

Are you serious? That’s ****ing mental. Recruiters should be hunting you.
Original post by natesmith1016
Are you serious? That’s ****ing mental. Recruiters should be hunting you.

Honestly, I got like 10s of calls/emails from recruiters who are amazed by the CV, but the conversation always end by: "Sorry, the company can't offer sponsorship". As if I'm requesting a work permit on Venus!! :u:
Reply 8
Idk if this helps, but my dad did a postgrad in Cranfield back in 2011 on a Tier 4 visa and got recruited by Amazon UK, who were willing to sponsor him and my whole family to get a Tier 2 visa. I think a lot of it depends on how good you are once you graduate, like my dad was a f*cking stellar student with a long CV blah blah blah, so unless you really got something that sets you apart from others, it's gonna be hard but I do wish you all the best.

(I'd have a look here https://www.linkedin.com/company/t2-visa-jobs/ )
Original post by lhnvvo
Idk if this helps, but my dad did a postgrad in Cranfield back in 2011 on a Tier 4 visa and got recruited by Amazon UK, who were willing to sponsor him and my whole family to get a Tier 2 visa. I think a lot of it depends on how good you are once you graduate, like my dad was a f*cking stellar student with a long CV blah blah blah, so unless you really got something that sets you apart from others, it's gonna be hard but I do wish you all the best.

I joined that LinkedIn group cheers
Original post by ashrafkotb
Honestly, I got like 10s of calls/emails from recruiters who are amazed by the CV, but the conversation always end by: "Sorry, the company can't offer sponsorship". As if I'm requesting a work permit on Venus!! :u:

Lol especially coming from the U.S. If our relationship is so "special" get an immigration agreement.
Original post by lhnvvo

The situation has toughened a bit since then on a number of fronts. Back in 2011 the post study work (PSW) scheme for skilled graduates was still running and so getting employment was a bit easier. Around 65K (thats around 35% of Tier 4's) students switched to Tier 2 equivalent work visas in 2011, the figure switching now stands at 6K (around 3.5%) so there is a major difference.
Original post by History98
The situation has toughened a bit since then on a number of fronts. Back in 2011 the post study work (PSW) scheme for skilled graduates was still running and so getting employment was a bit easier. Around 65K (thats around 35% of Tier 4's) students switched to Tier 2 equivalent work visas in 2011, the figure switching now stands at 6K (around 3.5%) so there is a major difference.

Definitely a major difference, the incompetence of this government is incredible.
Original post by History98

This makes me wonder, how companies are getting the skills they need then if only 3.5% of international students are hired? I understand of course that there are a lot of qualified British and residents but I'm sure companies won't be always able to find the perfect match. I know a lot of resident friends who lose their jobs once every few months because the job wasn't actually for them.
I think part of the problem with Tier 2 visas at the moment a) the monthly cap, and b) the earning requirements. If you are not applying for a visa for an occupation on the shortage list, as I understand it, you're very likely to get rejected unless your projected salary is over £40,000. For a recent grad, this is unlikely, and it's a waste of time for companies to sponsor you for a visa they know will get rejected.

If you want to get a Tier 2 visa, I'd suggest focusing on jobs on the shortage occupation list:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-k-shortage-occupation-list

At the moment, don't forget that UK companies can still recruit talent from across the EU/EEA without any visa issues- so it's not just UK students you are competing against.

FWIW I do agree that the UK needs skilled immigrant labour, especially as we appear to be running off a cliff with Brexit. However, Teresa May has always been ideologically against immigration, and wants to force immigration numbers down regardless of whether it's a good thing for the country or not!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
The cap isn’t in place if you are transferring directly from a Tier 4.

But the salary requirement got as high as £55k earlier this year - although again, this isn’t a requirement if transferring from a Tier 4

I didn't realise that, and from a quick web search, it doesn't seem like readily available information? Maybe some employers aren't aware as well?

The salary requirements for a 3 year Tier 2 visa as a "new entrant" seem pretty low, actually.

I do still think part of the issue is that many employers find the Tier 2 visa process too complex, with there still being a high chance of rejection at the end, so limit their focus to applicants who won't need a visa- even if, in this circumstance, switching visas isn't as hard/complicated.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think part of the problem with Tier 2 visas at the moment a) the monthly cap, and b) the earning requirements. If you are not applying for a visa for an occupation on the shortage list, as I understand it, you're very likely to get rejected unless your projected salary is over £40,000. For a recent grad, this is unlikely, and it's a waste of time for companies to sponsor you for a visa they know will get rejected.

If you want to get a Tier 2 visa, I'd suggest focusing on jobs on the shortage occupation list:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-k-shortage-occupation-list

At the moment, don't forget that UK companies can still recruit talent from across the EU/EEA without any visa issues- so it's not just UK students you are competing against.

FWIW I do agree that the UK needs skilled immigrant labour, especially as we appear to be running off a cliff with Brexit. However, Teresa May has always been ideologically against immigration, and wants to force immigration numbers down regardless of whether it's a good thing for the country or not!

It’s actually closer to 60k now because you need 60 points in the system. Just two years ago it was only like 20, so if you got a job paying £20,800 you’d be sorted, which is how people like my American international student advisors got his visa. I really do hope the torries are out of government soon.
It’s actually closer to 60k now because you need 60 points in the system. Just two years ago it was only like 20, so if you got a job paying £20,800 you’d be sorted, which is how people like my American international student advisors got his visa. I really do hope the torries are out of government soon.

Same re the Tories. Unfortunately, it's probably not going to happen quickly enough to help you get a visa though.

If you transfer to a Tier 2 visa, straight from a Tier 4 visa, it seems like you can be treated as entry level rather than experienced- which means you only need to earn £20,800 which is probably how your friends did it.

This page gives a good explanation for how the system works, because I didn't understand it earlier either:
https://www.davidsonmorris.com/switching-from-tier-4-to-tier-2/

If you do get a Tier 2 visa this way, it can only last for a max of 3 years- but extending is easier than getting a new visa:
https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/extend-your-visa
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Same re the Tories. Unfortunately, it's probably not going to happen quickly enough to help you get a visa though.

If you transfer to a Tier 2 visa, straight from a Tier 4 visa, it seems like you can be treated as entry level rather than experienced- which means you only need to earn £20,800 which is probably how your friends did it.

This page gives a good explanation for how the system works, because I didn't understand it earlier either:
https://www.davidsonmorris.com/switching-from-tier-4-to-tier-2/

If you do get a Tier 2 visa this way, it can only last for a max of 3 years- but extending is easier than getting a new visa:
https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/extend-your-visa

Well no, those are Glasgow uni employees who came from the straights. My course convener has a PhD in Latin American studies so that’s how he got his because that’s, or was at the time, a shortage occupation, then the other one just applied from the states because the threshold was a lot lower.

Unfortunately I’m pretty sure it’s too late for that given I graduated on 25 June and it’s now August and I’m not in the uk.
Well no, those are Glasgow uni employees who came from the straights. My course convener has a PhD in Latin American studies so that’s how he got his because that’s, or was at the time, a shortage occupation, then the other one just applied from the states because the threshold was a lot lower.

Unfortunately I’m pretty sure it’s too late for that given I graduated on 25 June and it’s now August and I’m not in the uk.

If you're not in the UK, then unfortunately you can't convert your Tier 4 Visa to a Tier 2- so you'd be affected by the visa cap etc, I think :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending