The Student Room Group

Would You Rather Be Lonely or Broke For Your Whole Life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dragon5555
I would prefer being lonely for my whole life. If i was broke I would end up causing difficulty for my family by not being able to provide. I care little about my loneliness.

How broke are we talking here? Like having no money whatsoever or just never being financially secure
Original post by Anonymous
no girl wants a broke guy so broke = lonely either way

that's seriously not true, most girls aren't shallow like that! Most girls would prefer a guy who was broke but treated her well and didn't abuse her, rather than a guy that was rich and treated her terribly. Unless she's young and/or isn't confident in her own ability to make money x
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by MWills99
How broke are we talking here? Like having no money whatsoever or just never being financially secure

Broke as in fully out of money...so no money to provide for family or yourself and friends etc.
Original post by wallflowerannie
that's seriously not true, most girls aren't shallow like that!

Nah they are still
that's seriously not true, most girls aren't shallow like that!

Harsh reality.
Nah they are still

I don't think you and @Dragon5555 have met the right girls yet. I would much rather date a guy who respected me and who was broke, and I'm a girl. That's because I am relatively confident in my own ability to make money and sustain myself, a boyfriend/husband is just a bonus.

Maybe you guys are experiencing confusion because the idea that a woman dates only for money is quite outdated. Due to evolution, women do look for guys that can cater for their needs, such as provide food and resources, and yes that includes money... and in like, the 1900s or even 1500s women married purely for that reason. Yet today is different! Providing for needs also includes being kind, providing emotional support, a person to talk to!

Seriously. Trust me.
it is possible to be both, you know :h:
Broke!! If you have loads of money but are lonely, you could use that money for bad such as drug use and alcohol due to the depression that comes with loneliness! <3 but if you're broke and lonely, in simple terms (Unless we're counting possibly earning money after being broke and not lonely...) you'll still be way happier and less likely to be depressed and sad! Money doesn't equal happiness <3

That’s not the nature of the question is suggesting. The question gives you a choice financially struggling but never suffering with loneliness, and he other choice being totally financially secure for the remaining of your existence but having the constant weight of depressive solitude. Neither are desirable options but the mutual exclusivity of the question implies that you being lonely can’t lead to being broke because the choices are exclusive.
Moreover, money cannot buy happiness no, I fully support you there, however, with constant feeling of loneliness one will never be totally happy in the general sense but then again who is. One is generally more mentally stable with being lonely than being broke. Being broke can pressure into crime, addiction drugs and such like.

So the pros outweigh the cons
Neither tbh. Difficult to choose.

I'm currently lonely but not broke. And I certainly do not enjoy my life.

So I don't know if it would be better or worse if I was broke but not lonely.
Neither tbh. Difficult to choose.

I'm currently lonely but not broke. And I certainly do not enjoy my life.

So I don't know if it would be better or worse if I was broke but not lonely.

So we’ve sussed that the purpose of life is to find the best possible choices in life by measuring how happy we would theoretically be. But the question isn’t asking you to be happy although I do agree
You're messed up mate

Think I've got my first TSR enemy :s-smilie:
I don't think you and @Dragon5555 have met the right girls yet. I would much rather date a guy who respected me and who was broke, and I'm a girl. That's because I am relatively confident in my own ability to make money and sustain myself, a boyfriend/husband is just a bonus.

Maybe you guys are experiencing confusion because the idea that a woman dates only for money is quite outdated. Due to evolution, women do look for guys that can cater for their needs, such as provide food and resources, and yes that includes money... and in like, the 1900s or even 1500s women married purely for that reason. Yet today is different! Providing for needs also includes being kind, providing emotional support, a person to talk to!

Seriously. Trust me.

I meant money will always play a factor as in it will be an indicator to a woman of the type of person you are i.e. dedicated, hardoworking etc. I have not exactly met a girl as you describe but I do feel that I myself would hate to not be able to contribute financially. The idea that only a man should provide is out of date but I would not be able to live knowing I can relax while someone else does the work.

Seriously. Trust me.

I know what you mean after thinking about it a little more. My older sister is looking to marry a guy and she has never been fussed about if the guy has a degree to earn large amounts of money or anything as from what I know he earns an average amount. I think it is best that I don't assume all women are the same but from what I see- money can play a key role.
Right now I am both, and being broke stings more.

Let me be lonely in a house where I can afford to turn on the radiators in the winter. I'm sure I'll be crying myself to sleep in my pillow stuffed with money.
I'd rather be lonely and rich than broke for definite
I’d rather be broke my whole life. Being broke but with that one person who loves me and cares for me wouldn’t be so bad 💕

Loneliness is one of the worst feelings. It’s just so consuming. Plus, some homeless people are actually really happy, as they don’t have the pressure that we have.
(edited 5 years ago)
here’s what money will get you
-fortnite
-limited edition & brand cloths
-sluts
-best in yourself (you wont be ugly anymore)
-travel anywhere in the world
-relatives you never knew you had
-being famous

and the list goes to infinity
Original post by Aidenscott19
here’s what money will get you
-fortnite
-limited edition & brand cloths
-sluts
-best in yourself (you wont be ugly anymore)
-travel anywhere in the world
-relatives you never knew you had
-being famous

and the list goes to infinity

But a lot of that is useless if you are lonely. So imagine no one online on Fortnite to speak to/play with? Or no fans to acknowledge? As for sluts- lonely means no company including them still I don't know why you would want them.
Original post by Dragon5555
But a lot of that is useless if you are lonely. So imagine no one online on Fortnite to speak to/play with? Or no fans to acknowledge? As for sluts- lonely means no company including them still I don't know why you would want them.

erm.. i just thought like no family members or friends not the world evaporating.

be more specific next time
id prefer to be lonely becuase being broke would be a struggle to provide for a family

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending