The Student Room Group

English CIE IGCSE Grade Boundaries

Does anyone know what the English IGCSE grade boundaries are for the Cambridge Examinations? I've checked everywhere, but haven't found anything.

I know it varies from year to year, but what is the rough percentage required.

I know that the coursework counts for 50% for language and 30% for literature. So for each, what combined % would I need to get in my exam and coursework to get an A*, A and B?

Thanks,
CP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
CocoPop
Does anyone know what the English IGCSE grade boundaries are for the Cambridge Examinations? I've checked everywhere, but haven't found anything.

I know it varies from year to year, but what is the rough percentage required.

I know that the coursework counts for 50% for language and 30% for literature. So for each, what combined % would I need to get in my exam and coursework to get an A*, A and B?

Thanks,
CP

CIE IGCSE Language and Literature don't have any coursework. All I know is that, for english literature, the paper in which you have to write 3 essays is about 60% of the mark, and the unseen paper is 40%. Or maybe it is 70%-30%. Regarding Language, I think both papers make up 50% of the mark.
Reply 2
Lol, that's awfully weird. Maybe you did an alternative to coursework paper, because for Literature, the coursework to exam percentage ratio is 30:70 and for language it's 50:50...

Nevertheless, do you know what the grade boundaries are?
Reply 3
Anyone at all?

My exam is in just 2 weeks, and I really want to know then roughly where I need to stand for an A*...
Well, even I did IGCSE English (as a 2nd lang.) back in June '06, but there was no coursework at all. According to my teacher you had to score 91% or above in the written paper to get an A*
for us it's 90%...
Reply 6
So doesn't anybody know what are the grade boundaries to get an A* in CIE IGCSE English First Lang.?
Cuz I took the exam last November and I got A*, so I wanted to know how well I did lol :smile:
Reply 7
I know that for literature you need to get 36/40, which is 90%. I got 40/40 in my coursework, so it's good so far, but I always screw up in my exams!

I'm more concerned about what the boundaries are for language. I know that (for me) coursework counts for 50%, and I want to know how I need to do in my exam to get an A/A* taking into consideration the score I got in my coursework.
Reply 8
****e! English Lit exam in 2 freaking days! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

That is all.

Back to Pride and Prej...
Haha! Cocopop, take a deeeep breath...lol
Lol!

Good luck mate!
Reply 11
Holy shizzle that went badly! :frown: :frown: :frown:

I thought my mocks went badly and it turned out that I got an A (weighing in coursework), but this went proper badly!

I'll be so disappointed if I achieve a lower grade in this than I did in my mocks!
CocoPop
Holy shizzle that went badly! :frown: :frown: :frown:

I thought my mocks went badly and it turned out that I got an A (weighing in coursework), but this went proper badly!

I'll be so disappointed if I achieve a lower grade in this than I did in my mocks!

Haha don't worry, I'm sure you did fine!
Reply 13
^ I hope so :/

It's so annoying because I remembered all the stuff that I needed to write the second I walked out of the examination room!! So frustrating.
CocoPop
^ I hope so :/

It's so annoying because I remembered all the stuff that I needed to write the second I walked out of the examination room!! So frustrating.

Yeah that happens often, so get used to it! I remember coming out of the History exam thinking "****! I forgot to mention Stalin's purges!" and stuff like that. My advice is: do not compare your answers with your classmates' answers. That will just make you feel worse.
Reply 16
You can either do coursework or the alternative to coursework. I am curious as to what are the boundaries, too!
It wasn't too too bad except for paper 3 in language, I didn't write enough for section 2...
Sorry for reviving this thread but seriously, does anyone know the grade boundaries? I am completely freaking out about my English exams! I only just scraped an A in my Mocks. :frown:
Reply 18
helloo did anyone do the english as a second language exam in june 2010? how did you find it? what do you think the grade boundaries will be?
Reply 19
Grade boundaries were as follows:

English Literature:

65% for A
47% for C

20% of all entrants scored A*

English Language (1st):

61% for A (without coursework)
75% for A (with coursework), you needed 44/50 for an A in the coursework component.

46% for C (without coursework)

20% of all entrants scored A*
French (Foreign Language):

FOR AN A GRADE:

73% in Listening
75% in Reading + Directed Writing
80% in Speaking
70% in Continuous Writing

AVERAGE %: 75% for A

30% of all entrants scored A* (boundaries not given)
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending