The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do more. You want to try and get straight As but you want us to give you a maximum revision amount?
Try and do like 2 hours in the morning and then another 2 in the afternoons if you really want to boost up your grades. It looks like you have the potential to get really good grades, you just need to put in the hours. :smile:
Reply 3
1-2 hours is fine. im doing 9 and its just making me more stressed.

So you will be fine. just make sure you are spreading time between subjects evenly!!
Reply 4
Joeydobbo

Also, my exams start on 19th May, I was wondering how much revision I should be doing, currently doing 1-2 hours a day. :s-smilie:

I'm sorry but that's near enough impossible for anyone to know but yourself. Revision is a very personal thing. If I had to guess then at least five hours a day (with regular breaks every 25 minutes).
Reply 5
Like wat subjects should i revise if i did 2 hours mornin and night?
Reply 6
If you're having your study leave right now, aim for 7 hours a day (which isn't a lot.. considering you're up for at least 14 hours a day).

If you're still in school, 3 hours min. after school is enough.
Reply 7
Again, only you can answer that, which are your weakest subjects?

It's all about balance. Try and work on your weakest subjects but don't neglect/let standards slip in your strong subjects.

Sorry I can give you more advice. I didn't put any revision into my GCSE except for my German oral and one hour of history. I don't know what I spent the time on.

The only time I really made a great effort with revision wasn't until university. A small amount during my A-levels. Although at uni you're dealing with around six different modules it's a bit of a different balancing act than nine or ten GCSE subjects.
Reply 8
3-4 hrs during school days - 8 hrs min on off days. Take GCSE seriously as the grade obtained will be part of the building block - if you want to do serious academic studies and /or leading a successfull career.:biggrin:

I am trying for 11 A*. Wether I get it or not is different story. But I will try like hell.
Reply 9
I didn't do ANY work for my GCSEs. But for my IB mocks, I scored straight 7s except for two 6s..

So follow my guidance with revision.
Reply 10
Ty everybody, how should i spread my day out if , im doing 5 hours +? BTW no on study leave as of yet.
Joeydobbo
Like wat subjects should i revise if i did 2 hours mornin and night?

What subjects do you wish you'd done better at in your mock/feel like you don't understand perfectly/feel a bit panicky about the thought of? Those are the ones you want to revise. And also any where you feel that you have to prove the teachers wrong by out performing their predicted grades of course :p:

If you are planning on revising properly, draw out a table and plan to cover every subject at least for half a day before the exams, then give more time to anything that you feel uncertain about. And as great as having nothing to do feels at the beginning of study leave it'll really start getting you down after a few weeks, so whilst you have stuff to do give some of it a go.

Joeydobbo
how should i spread my day out if , im doing 5 hours +?

However suits you best. Do an hour have a break, do an hour have a break, do an hour have lunch, do an hour have a break, do an hour and enjoy the rest of the sunny afternoon.... Or an hour in the morning and four in the afternoon/evening if you prefer. There's no universal best way, just do what feels most productive to you.

(Five hours whilst you're revising in school is quite a lot of extra time - until you have study leave it's best to supplement what you're doing in school the best you can rather than push to have the most hours or you'll keel over from exhaustion before you even reach the exam stage)
Reply 12
All of da core subjects im scared of lol, so I do dem a lot more but geograghy is so long.
Joeydobbo
Ok, here are my predicted grade, Im not one of those people who get straight A's, but I try my best.

English: C
English Literature: C
Maths: B
Science: B/C
History: A
Geography: A
French: A* (My only predicted A* w00t)
Welsh: A/B
I.T: A/B

Also, my exams start on 19th May, I was wondering how much revision I should be doing, currently doing 1-2 hours a day. :s-smilie:

Don;t take advantage of them, i was predicted an A* for double science and A for english. but i got double B and C respectivily

You dont win the race untill you cross the finish line
Reply 14
Pseudomuse
Don;t take advantage of them, i was predicted an A* for double science and A for english. but i got double B and C respectivily

You dont win the race untill you cross the finish line

Well said. Predicted grades - stay only predicted.:smile:
Joeydobbo
Ty everybody, how should i spread my day out if , im doing 5 hours +? BTW no on study leave as of yet.

My own IB revision programme is as follows:

Weekdays (mon - fri)

4:20 - 5:20 = session 1
5:25 - 6:25 = session 2
6:30 - 7:30 = Maths Revision

(dinner)

8:00 - 8:30 = English Revision
8:30 - 9:00 = Italian Revision

Weekends (sat + sun)

9:00am - 10:00 = session 1
10:05 - 11:05 = session 2
11:10 - 12:10 = Maths Revision

(lunch)

1:00pm - 2:00pm = session 4
2:05 - 3:05 = session 5
3:10 - 4:10 = Maths Revision

(basketball with friends)

6:00 - 6:30 = English Revision
6:30 - 7:00 = Italian Revision

So on weekdays I do 4 hours a day, weekends I do 7 hours a day. Started this revision 20 days before my 1st IB mock exam. So I will have put in around 80-90 hours of revision :smile:
Oh forgot to mention: I leave homework to the evenings (since I go to bed at 11pm)
I'd try and work hard on the subjects your predicted Cs in, and the subjects which your first exams are. I think all these people no here are crazy, I do between 0 and 2 hours a night on school nights (including homework) and maybe about 2/3 each day on weekends.
Reply 18
River85
I'm sorry but that's near enough impossible for anyone to know but yourself. Revision is a very personal thing. If I had to guess then at least five hours a day (with regular breaks every 25 minutes).

5 hours a day for GCSE revision! WTF?! I managed to get 2 A*s, 5 As, 2 Bs and 2 Cs on 90 mins a day, and I wouldn't call myself the kind student who gets his grades without much work.
Reply 19
mdhey89
5 hours a day for GCSE revision! WTF?! I managed to get 2 A*s, 5 As, 2 Bs and 2 Cs on 90 mins a day, and I wouldn't call myself the kind student who gets his grades without much work.

*sigh* that's why I said it's an entirely personal thing. I've already said that I didn't do any revision in (a total of probably eight hours in total) and got 3 A*s, 6 As and 1B.

But for someone with decent and respectable (but not fantastic) grades such as the OP then yes, around three to five hours a day can be very beneficial. He obviously feels that he can do more and is conscientious enough to want to improve.

Latest