The Student Room Group

experience for pgce interview

hi everyone!
so I am planning on applying for a primary pgce soon and looking to get some experience that I can use when going for my interview and answering questions on what I learnt while volunteering. I’m thinking of helping out at a local youth club in the summer rather than doing two weeks in a primary school which I did a few years back. Would getting experience in a youth club be useful for when it comes to discussing working with children in the pgce interview or does it have to be strictly school experience. I was just wondering if anyone went for a pgce interview with youth club experience rather than school experience.

Thanks so much!
Original post by kae1234
hi everyone!
so I am planning on applying for a primary pgce soon and looking to get some experience that I can use when going for my interview and answering questions on what I learnt while volunteering. I’m thinking of helping out at a local youth club in the summer rather than doing two weeks in a primary school which I did a few years back. Would getting experience in a youth club be useful for when it comes to discussing working with children in the pgce interview or does it have to be strictly school experience. I was just wondering if anyone went for a pgce interview with youth club experience rather than school experience.

Thanks so much!

Ideally, you want some of both. Most unis will expect some recent experience in a state school (within the last two years) before you apply, as they want to know you have an idea about what to expect when you go on placement. This will also help you show you're realistic about what teaching involves.

If the experience with the youth club will give you experience within the right age range, then it will also be great experience to discuss at interview and on your PS.

Primary teaching is still reasonably competitive (compared to most secondary subjects), so the more experience you can get the better.
If it was a few years back, it is likely there will be an expectation that you complete another two weeks nearer the time that your course begins.

School experience beats any other experience so I’d go for the school one. However, youth club experience would be a good ‘added extra’.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending