The Student Room Group

Moving for Pgce?

I’m currently based in London but have been thinking of loving cities for a while.

I am thinking of applying for a PGCE either to start in 2019 or in 2020 and wonder if that will be a good excuse to live and explore another part of the UK.

However I’m worried that moving cities to somewhere I don’t know or have a strong support system, might not be a good idea when also beginning the hard work of a PGCE.

Anyone moved towns for PGCE?? How did you find it??
Original post by Lifequestion
I’m currently based in London but have been thinking of loving cities for a while.

I am thinking of applying for a PGCE either to start in 2019 or in 2020 and wonder if that will be a good excuse to live and explore another part of the UK.

However I’m worried that moving cities to somewhere I don’t know or have a strong support system, might not be a good idea when also beginning the hard work of a PGCE.

Anyone moved towns for PGCE?? How did you find it??

I moved to a different city for the PGCE- I didn't have much choice as I wanted to avoid several schools my local uni places students in (because I know students in them through a previous job), and I didn't like the way the next nearest uni does things.

Moving has been ok- it's a nice city and I've made lots of new friends. I haven't explored that much, due to the nature of the course, I'm often busy at weekends and I tend to use the holidays to visit home. I'm not sure how much of a difference having family in the same city would make!

The one thing I would say is that it does help to train in the area you want to find a job- commuting to another part of the country for interviews has been a pain in the arse, and making contacts in schools and uni contacts with schools can really help with securing a position too. However, if you're looking at a longer term move, doing a PGCE in the area you'd like to live would be a good idea!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending