The Student Room Group

Studying Law at University - Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CatusStarbright

Patience! Unis get a lot of applications in January so it may be several weeks before you get a response. I know it's hard to, but try and forget about it for now.

Thanks !
I will try to
I'm a 2021 graduate who studied Law at The University of Leeds.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying Law, and I will do my best to answer. Please note however that there will be differences between different universities, as each university has its own approach to course structure, content, etc.

I specifically study LLB Law with French Law, so I can also discuss studying abroad and what it's like to study a language/a different legal system alongside English law, what it's like to learn in your second language, etc. I do however know as much about straight Law courses too, so don't worry about that!

I hope this may be of use to you!

(For a section of my final year I ran a working-from-home-alone blog which detailed what I was doing every day studying from my flat in lockdown in Leeds while my flatmate was still back at her parental home. It's probably quite a repetitive read, but gives you a flavour of what my life was like at the time: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6869688)

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.

@Moose22 - Graduate, Law, Northumbria
@CatusStarbright - 2021 Graduate, LLB Law with French Law, Leeds
@Tinders - 2023 Graduate, Law, York
@MidgetFever - Current student, Law, Sheffield
@aylee_ - Current student, Law, Leeds
@professormcr - Current student, Law, UCL
@giothevanna11 - Third-year law student, Durham
@Miriam29 - First-year law student, Cambridge
@jger_rams2019 - First-year law student (on two-year course), Cambridge (is going to switch to another UK course for next year)
@silkydon11 - Offer holder, Law, Edinburgh
@Ni_ole_ - Offer holder, Law, Newcastle
@Kali.kb - Offer holder, Law, Sheffield
@legallystressed - Offer holder, Law, UCL

---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads!

Hi i am a second year forensic science Student and i have a law module and I've been given a problem based question and have been told to use IRAC I was wondering if there are any law students or anyone who could help me with this question and help me with some guidance and also with referencing because your referencing is completely different lol . If yes I don't mind giving you other socials if its easier to contact thank you ! , T
1. I chose law principally because I knew I found it interesting, and I enjoyed understanding why cases are decided a certain way. It just appealed to me as a subject, and I knew I had the aptitude for it.

2. Someone not afraid of working hard, who is happy with doing a lot of reading for their degree, who likes analysing, thinking critically, etc.

3. I did Law, French, English Literature, and Business to AS Level. Note that Law is not compulsory and there's absolutely no need to take it at A Level. I just did because I knew I was interested in the subject and possibly wanted to take it as a degree, so taking it for A Level would help me decide if the subject was indeed for me.

It can be so difficult to choose career paths. I didn't even decide that I wanted to be a solicitor until the end of my first year of my degree. Just pursue what you enjoy and what you are good it, and I don't think you can go too far wrong!

advice on english lit to get an A*? strucutre etc
also advice on getting an A* in language a levels?
What made you want to study law? I’m deciding between law and veterinary medicine, two completely different fields.
Original post by Hhhhhtreerr
Hi i am a second year forensic science Student and i have a law module and I've been given a problem based question and have been told to use IRAC I was wondering if there are any law students or anyone who could help me with this question and help me with some guidance and also with referencing because your referencing is completely different lol . If yes I don't mind giving you other socials if its easier to contact thank you ! , T

Hi there, sorry you didn't get any response sooner. IRAC is definitely the structure to use for problem questions! Here's the OSCOLA referencing guide: https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/migrated/oscola_4th_edn_hart_2012.pdf

Original post by klnlljkklhklll
advice on english lit to get an A*? strucutre etc
also advice on getting an A* in language a levels?

English Literature
A good essay structure is as follows:
Introduction
Point 1
Point 2
Point 3 (if needed - some essays lend themselves better to a two-part structure)
Conclusion

Make sure you know your quotes, themes, text analyses, etc. very well!

Languages
Practice! Know your vocab and grammar rules inside out, practice translation, practice speaking (even if just to yourself), etc.

Original post by Elizabeth200
What made you want to study law? I’m deciding between law and veterinary medicine, two completely different fields.

I studied A Level Law because I liked the sound of it, and I completely loved it. I then did a law taster day at Oxford and went to some taster law lectures at university open days and knew it was right for me. I love how it's part science, part art; part strictly logical and part about the nebulous concept of 'fairness'. I'm now in legal practice and adore how a lot of it is fundamentally about problem solving: finding an elegant and/or practical solution to a client's problem (e.g. a dispute or an injury they've suffered) or matter they'd like help with (e.g. planning for their death or buying a property).
Original post by Hhhhhtreerr
Hi, I am a 2nd year Law student at York St John University. IRAC is how you structure your answer to a problem question. It stands for:
I - Issue - what has happened in the scenario that could apply to law e.g. D has punched V
R - Rule - what is the legislation/piece of law that this applies to e.g. is it Battery/ABH/GBH
A - Application - explanation as to how it is either Battery/ABH/GBH and how you know which it is and which it isn't
C - Conclusion - conclude this part of the problem
This structure is repeated for each part of the scenario, say 3 things happen in the scenario then you would have 3 of these paragraph structures. I hope this helps and I will attach a simple OSCOLA referencing guide for you to use.
https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/media/content-assets/ile/documents/OSCOLA-Referencing-quick-guide-(online).pdf

Sophie (Student Ambassador)
I'm a 2021 graduate who studied Law at The University of Leeds.Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying Law, and I will do my best to answer. Please note however that there will be differences between different universities, as each university has its own approach to course structure, content, etc. I specifically study LLB Law with French Law, so I can also discuss studying abroad and what it's like to study a language/a different legal system alongside English law, what it's like to learn in your second language, etc. I do however know as much about straight Law courses too, so don't worry about that!I hope this may be of use to you!(For a section of my final year I ran a working-from-home-alone blog which detailed what I was doing every day studying from my flat in lockdown in Leeds while my flatmate was still back at her parental home. It's probably quite a repetitive read, but gives you a flavour of what my life was like at the time: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6869688) This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific. @Moose22 - Graduate, Law, Northumbria@CatusStarbright - 2021 Graduate, LLB Law with French Law, Leeds@Tinders - 2023 Graduate, Law, York@MidgetFever - Current student, Law, Sheffield@aylee_ - Current student, Law, Leeds@professormcr - Current student, Law, UCL@giothevanna11 - Third-year law student, Durham@Miriam29 - First-year law student, Cambridge@jger_rams2019 - First-year law student (on two-year course), Cambridge (is going to switch to another UK course for next year)@silkydon11 - Offer holder, Law, Edinburgh@Ni_ole_ - Offer holder, Law, Newcastle@Kali.kb - Offer holder, Law, Sheffield@legallystressed - Offer holder, Law, UCL---This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads!
Are these A levels ok if I want to a top university for law?MathsGeographyEconomics Chemistry Thinking of going down a law or economics pathway.
Original post by Jmeredith33
Are these A levels ok if I want to a top university for law?MathsGeographyEconomics Chemistry Thinking of going down a law or economics pathway.

There are no required subjects to study a law degree :smile:
Reply 288
There are no required subjects to study a law degree :smile:
Hi. In general there are no required subjects for LLB, however, I heard that it would be much better to have an essay based subject, esp for G5,is that true?
Original post by jobb11
Hi. In general there are no required subjects for LLB, however, I heard that it would be much better to have an essay based subject, esp for G5,is that true?
It can be useful to have an essay-based subject, certainly, as you'll then have experience of writing essays for assessments already under your belt for when you start an essay-based degree!
Reply 290
Hi! This thread is a bit old, and these questions have probably been asked already 😣 but...

What is the best approach to take when dealing with copious amounts of reading for law?

What is one thing you would've done differently if you could travel back to before you started uni and/or back to your first year of law?

How do universities properly prepare you for the law course? I feel like it's very different from secondary school-- is it based off of memorisation like secondary school?

How do you recommend standing out amongst other legal firm applicants? I heard that the market is becoming more and more saturated.

Thank you so much!! Have a lovely day 💗
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Coeoe
Hi! This thread is a bit old, and these questions have probably been asked already 😣 but...

No worries, here to help!
What is the best approach to take when dealing with copious amounts of reading for law?

Manage your time and start early - I cannot stress this enough. Aim to start seminar preparation a week/several days in advance and try to finish a day or two before the seminar. There will be times when you're really busy and you finish it later than you expect, so this approach allows for that.

To keep reading time low, skim-ready sections of judgments/articles that aren't as important. When you take notes, try to make them a summary and don't make them too detailed - this will help a lot when it comes to revision too! If you're reading an article then really try to hone in on what the author's stance/argument is. For judgements, make sure you understand the outcome of the case and the reasons why that was the outcome (i.e. ask yourself how the relevant legal principles were interpreted and which facts influenced the outcome).
What is one thing you would've done differently if you could travel back to before you started uni and/or back to your first year of law?

That's a great question, and I'm honestly not sure what the answer is! I had an amazing time at uni and I'm really happy with how things have turned out, so perhaps I wouldn't change anything at all.
How do universities properly prepare you for the law course? I feel like it's very different from secondary school-- is it based off of memorisation like secondary school?

You learn as you go. Of course it's different to secondary school - there's no mandatory attendance, no school uniform, you're in charge of your own leaning, you're (usually) living away from home, etc. I went to a college to do my A Levels (my school did not have a sixth form) and the college operated in a similar way, so that was an excellent bridging experience which prepared me very well for university.

University is a lot more about developing critical thinking and analytical skills. There is memorisation involved for closed book exams (e.g. knowing the legal principles, case names, etc.) but the high marks always come from how well you can analyse and apply the rules. For essay questions, particularly for open book, it's all about the quality of your argument, the structure you adopt, etc.
How do you recommend standing out amongst other legal firm applicants? I heard that the market is becoming more and more saturated.

Given you asked about secondary school, I'm going to assume you're at the pre-university stage and so will not go into any specific details which relate to the application stages. My advice to those at the pre-uni stage is to firstly just focus on getting onto the law degree (if that's what you want to do!), and to ensure you get involved with extra-curricular activities to develop your soft skills and give yourself examples to talk about in applications/interviews. In addition, keep up with the news and develop your awareness of business and finance matters, particularly if you are looking to go into commercial law. Every law firm is essentially a legal business (it sells time and expertise), and firms love it when applicants properly grasp this.
Thank you so much!! Have a lovely day 💗

You too! :h:
Reply 292
No worries, here to help!

Manage your time and start early - I cannot stress this enough. Aim to start seminar preparation a week/several days in advance and try to finish a day or two before the seminar. There will be times when you're really busy and you finish it later than you expect, so this approach allows for that.

To keep reading time low, skim-ready sections of judgments/articles that aren't as important. When you take notes, try to make them a summary and don't make them too detailed - this will help a lot when it comes to revision too! If you're reading an article then really try to hone in on what the author's stance/argument is. For judgements, make sure you understand the outcome of the case and the reasons why that was the outcome (i.e. ask yourself how the relevant legal principles were interpreted and which facts influenced the outcome).

That's a great question, and I'm honestly not sure what the answer is! I had an amazing time at uni and I'm really happy with how things have turned out, so perhaps I wouldn't change anything at all.

You learn as you go. Of course it's different to secondary school - there's no mandatory attendance, no school uniform, you're in charge of your own leaning, you're (usually) living away from home, etc. I went to a college to do my A Levels (my school did not have a sixth form) and the college operated in a similar way, so that was an excellent bridging experience which prepared me very well for university.

University is a lot more about developing critical thinking and analytical skills. There is memorisation involved for closed book exams (e.g. knowing the legal principles, case names, etc.) but the high marks always come from how well you can analyse and apply the rules. For essay questions, particularly for open book, it's all about the quality of your argument, the structure you adopt, etc.

Given you asked about secondary school, I'm going to assume you're at the pre-university stage and so will not go into any specific details which relate to the application stages. My advice to those at the pre-uni stage is to firstly just focus on getting onto the law degree (if that's what you want to do!), and to ensure you get involved with extra-curricular activities to develop your soft skills and give yourself examples to talk about in applications/interviews. In addition, keep up with the news and develop your awareness of business and finance matters, particularly if you are looking to go into commercial law. Every law firm is essentially a legal business (it sells time and expertise), and firms love it when applicants properly grasp this.

You too! :h:
Wow, that was a very detailed and an amazing reply! Thank you so much!

(I'm not sure how to quote different sections like you do) but regarding extra curriculars-- what type of extra curriculars do you recommend? I've never done debating in my life (I hope to start it in uni) and I'm worried it will pose as a setback for me. What other extra curriculars would be helpful for our future legal careers?

Ooh yes! Do you have any particular news channel or page that you would recommend for keeping up to date with (relevant) news and business and finance matters?

I really appreciate the advice! All the best 🩷
Original post by Coeoe
Wow, that was a very detailed and an amazing reply! Thank you so much!

You're welcome!
(I'm not sure how to quote different sections like you do) but regarding extra curriculars-- what type of extra curriculars do you recommend? I've never done debating in my life (I hope to start it in uni) and I'm worried it will pose as a setback for me. What other extra curriculars would be helpful for our future legal careers?

I'm doing it in the source coding. I'm not sure if that's available in React (the new forum style) yet or not - us volunteers still have access to the older forum style (ST2) which has all the volunteer functionality for us to use in that mode before it is fully transferred over to React.

I recommend anything that will let you practice and demonstrate skills such as teamwork, leadership, attention to detail, communication, etc. Lots of people do mooting/negotiating/debating for the first time at university and they're certainly good to try out! You can also get involved in pro bono work (free legal advice) or legal research projects at university. Activities outside of academic environments are also encouraged; for example, I've been able to demonstrate leadership skills through my involvement with Girlguiding, as a Young Leader/Leader-in-Training when I was in my teens and as a Leader after I got my qualification. I even drew on my martial arts training in the interview that got me my position as a trainee solicitor!
Ooh yes! Do you have any particular news channel or page that you would recommend for keeping up to date with (relevant) news and business and finance matters?

The Financial Times and the Economist are really good, but paid-for publications. Often universities will have a subscription for their students to access them for free, and possibly some schools/colleges will too. Simply following the business news on the BBC or another reliable source of your choice for free will do the trick though!

Specifically for aspiring lawyers, The Lawyer Portal offers a commercial awareness newsletter which can be useful: https://www.thelawyerportal.com/commercial-awareness/

Chambers Student also has some recommended sources, though given the chunky section about Brexit it may be not a fully up-to-date list: https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/commercial-awareness/commercial-awareness-resources-legal-blogs
Reply 294
You're welcome!

I'm doing it in the source coding. I'm not sure if that's available in React (the new forum style) yet or not - us volunteers still have access to the older forum style (ST2) which has all the volunteer functionality for us to use in that mode before it is fully transferred over to React.

I recommend anything that will let you practice and demonstrate skills such as teamwork, leadership, attention to detail, communication, etc. Lots of people do mooting/negotiating/debating for the first time at university and they're certainly good to try out! You can also get involved in pro bono work (free legal advice) or legal research projects at university. Activities outside of academic environments are also encouraged; for example, I've been able to demonstrate leadership skills through my involvement with Girlguiding, as a Young Leader/Leader-in-Training when I was in my teens and as a Leader after I got my qualification. I even drew on my martial arts training in the interview that got me my position as a trainee solicitor!

The Financial Times and the Economist are really good, but paid-for publications. Often universities will have a subscription for their students to access them for free, and possibly some schools/colleges will too. Simply following the business news on the BBC or another reliable source of your choice for free will do the trick though!

Specifically for aspiring lawyers, The Lawyer Portal offers a commercial awareness newsletter which can be useful: https://www.thelawyerportal.com/commercial-awareness/

Chambers Student also has some recommended sources, though given the chunky section about Brexit it may be not a fully up-to-date list: https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/commercial-awareness/commercial-awareness-resources-legal-blogs
Once again, thank you so much!! This has been extremely insightful 💝 I appreciate you taking time out to help us aspiring law students!!
I'm a 2021 graduate who studied Law at The University of Leeds.
Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying Law, and I will do my best to answer. Please note however that there will be differences between different universities, as each university has its own approach to course structure, content, etc.
I specifically study LLB Law with French Law, so I can also discuss studying abroad and what it's like to study a language/a different legal system alongside English law, what it's like to learn in your second language, etc. I do however know as much about straight Law courses too, so don't worry about that!
I hope this may be of use to you!
(For a section of my final year I ran a working-from-home-alone blog which detailed what I was doing every day studying from my flat in lockdown in Leeds while my flatmate was still back at her parental home. It's probably quite a repetitive read, but gives you a flavour of what my life was like at the time: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6869688)
This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
@Moose22 - Graduate, Law, Northumbria
@CatusStarbright - 2021 Graduate, LLB Law with French Law, Leeds
@Tinders - 2023 Graduate, Law, York
@MidgetFever - Current student, Law, Sheffield
@aylee_ - Current student, Law, Leeds
@professormcr - Current student, Law, UCL
@giothevanna11 - Third-year law student, Durham
@Miriam29 - First-year law student, Cambridge
@jger_rams2019 - First-year law student (on two-year course), Cambridge (is going to switch to another UK course for next year)
@silkydon11 - Offer holder, Law, Edinburgh
@Ni_ole_ - Offer holder, Law, Newcastle
@Kali.kb - Offer holder, Law, Sheffield
@legallystressed - Offer holder, Law, UCL
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads!
@Moose22 hii i'm a year 2 student in northumbria and we are currently choosing our options for third year. i was wondering what route you took in terms of doing a dissertation or just the student law office and your experience with that and further advice on how to go about both of them and for the next year in general. thank you :smile:
Original post by boopityboopboop
@Moose22 hii i'm a year 2 student in northumbria and we are currently choosing our options for third year. i was wondering what route you took in terms of doing a dissertation or just the student law office and your experience with that and further advice on how to go about both of them and for the next year in general. thank you :smile:

Apologies, it appears that Moose22 has not logged in for about two years (I should really audit the tag list more regularly!). Were you wanting only advice specific to Northumbria or would general advice about law dissertations be useful to you?
Apologies, it appears that Moose22 has not logged in for about two years (I should really audit the tag list more regularly!). Were you wanting only advice specific to Northumbria or would general advice about law dissertations be useful to you?
i was looking for specific advice to northumbria but advice in general would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by username6857528
i was looking for specific advice to northumbria but advice in general would be much appreciated :smile:

Certainly! What kind of aspects would you like general advice on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending