The Student Room Group

Studying Law at University - Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vladimir Poutine
Thanks, I didn’t realise sending an additional Personal Statement was an option. 2 out of the five courses will be straight law but one of them allows you to apply for a year abroad in second year, so not too irrelevant.

You don’t realise how little 4000 characters is until you get writing!

The offer to submit one was extended at an open day and it was to be emailed directly to the admissions tutor. My personal recommendation would be to just talk about straight law as this is what I was advised to do, and it makes sense.

I agree with that! Cutting down is always difficult, but hey, writing concisely is an important skill.
Thank you
Original post by CatusStarbright
I'm currently in my third (and penultimate) year studying Law at The University of Leeds.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying Law, and I will do my best to answer. Please note however that there will be differences between different universities, as each university has its own approach to course structure, content, etc.

I specifically study LLB Law with French Law, so I can also discuss a bit about studying abroad and what it's like to study a language/a different legal system alongside English law, what it's like to learn in your second language, etc. I do however know as much about straight Law courses too, so don't worry about that!

I hope this may be of use to you!

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.

@CatusStarbright - 3rd year LLB Law with French Law, Leeds
@MidgetFever- Current student, Law, Sheffield
@aylee_ - Current student, Law, Leeds
@beaurudol- Current student, Law, Bristol
@giothevanna11 - Current student, Law, Durham
@professormcr - Current student, Law, UCL
@BeckyZoe - Graduate, Law, Northumbria
@king axolotl - Offer holder, Law, Cambridge
@Miriam29 - Offer holder, Law, Cambridge
@silkydon11 - Offer holder, Law, Edinburgh
@Ni_ole_ - Offer holder, Law, Newcastle
@Kali.kb - Offer holder, Law, Sheffield
@jger_rams2019 -Offer holder, Law, Cambridge
@legallystressed - Offer holder, Law, UCL

---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

I didn't take maths and science at gcse but I took English. My grades weren't great as well
And overall C but my A levels are great with A* do you think I can get into law school?
Original post by aditisinghksms
I didn't take maths and science at gcse but I took English. My grades weren't great as well
And overall C but my A levels are great with A* do you think I can get into law school?

If I may ask, how did you not take Maths and Science at GCSE given they are compulsory subjects? Would you be able to give me a little bit of a better idea what your GCSE results look like? Does this mean you have A*A*A* at A Level? Which universities are you looking to study law at?

Sorry for all the questions, but they will help me get a bigger picture and allow me to best answer your question :smile:
Reply 64
I want to study law. I got B B C, should I resit my A levels to get a A instead of C. Does A level matter when applying for Jobs
Original post by kk13
I want to study law. I got B B C, should I resit my A levels to get a A instead of C. Does A level matter when applying for Jobs

Whether to retake or not depends on what you want to do, but certainly you can get into a much better university with ABB rather than BBC. Whether A Levels matter when applying for jobs or not entirely depends on what job you want to do.
Hey, I am so sorry I should have provided the bigger picture - actually I am an international student from India. i took my 10th grade (that is equivalent to gcse) from an open yet recognised board. i appeared for humanities subjects and not science or maths.
and I completed my 12th grade (equivalent to A levels) with 5 subjects with A*A*A*A*A grade.
i want to study law in UK and I don't know if I could cosidering I did not study maths and science in gcse level and my score was very poor as well. (61.2%)
Original post by aditisinghksms
Hey, I am so sorry I should have provided the bigger picture - actually I am an international student from India. i took my 10th grade (that is equivalent to gcse) from an open yet recognised board. i appeared for humanities subjects and not science or maths.
and I completed my 12th grade (equivalent to A levels) with 5 subjects with A*A*A*A*A grade.
i want to study law in UK and I don't know if I could cosidering I did not study maths and science in gcse level and my score was very poor as well. (61.2%)

Okay, what I'd recommend you do is to look at the websites of some universities (you can pick them off league tables if you like) to get a picture of what different universities expect from your qualifications. They tend to always provide a way of working out what the equivalent of the UK grade requirements is for your qualifications.
Hi,

If you did take the LNAT, how long did it actually take for results to come through?

Also, do you have any discussions/questions in lectures or is that reserved solely for seminars or other sessions styles?
Original post by legaleagle61
Hi,

If you did take the LNAT, how long did it actually take for results to come through?

Also, do you have any discussions/questions in lectures or is that reserved solely for seminars or other sessions styles?

Yes, I did take the LNAT and it took many months to find out the results.

Lectures are mostly devoid of discussion but you can ask questions and lecturers may poll the room/pose questions, eg. by hands raised or using software such as Menti or Top Hat.

Discussion of ideas is basically the remit of seminars where groups (approx 15 students) are smaller than the 200-ish lecture attendees and discussion is therefore more manageable.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi,I'm doing my portfolio and I'm trying to come up with 6 key features of the UK constitution. Please help!Many thanks
Original post by jodydavies
Hi,I'm doing my portfolio and I'm trying to come up with 6 key features of the UK constitution. Please help!Many thanks

What portfolio is this sorry?
Hi, I am applying for two different Law courses. 2 are Law and Business while the other 2 are straight law courses. How do I structure my personal statement? Thank you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by etienne26
Hi, I am applying for two different Law courses. 2 are Law and Business while the other 3 are straight law courses. How do I structure my personal statement? Thank you.

I would say that it needs to be law-heavy, with about a paragraph explaining your interest in business. @Interrobang may be able to offer some words of wisdom on the matter.
What portfoliois this sorry?

It's just an assessment for 1st year and I'm struggling to come up with a 6th feature.
It's just an assessment for 1st year and I'm struggling to come up with a 6th feature.

Could you tell me what you have so far? This will help me see what's being asked for and ensure I don't repeat things you already have!
Original post by etienne26
Hi, I am applying for two different Law courses. 2 are Law and Business while the other 2 are straight law courses. How do I structure my personal statement? Thank you.

You can't really write a good PS that covers a mixture of single and joint honours courses. If you write about business, the straight law unis will wonder why you are talking about business, and if you don't talk about business the joint honours unis will wonder why. The safest option is to talk about your interest in commercial law, but that isn't ideal as it could be a business admissions tutor looking at your PS, or to ask if you can submit an additional PS separately
Could you tell me what you have so far? This will help me see what's being asked for and ensure I don't repeat things you already have!

Yeah thanks
Parliamentary sovereignty
Separation of powers
Uncodified constitution
Bicameral parliament
Unitary state
Hi i was just wondering would u be able to have a decent social life when studying LLb law, like do u have time to go out/ night life etc
Yeah thanks
Parliamentary sovereignty
Separation of powers
Uncodified constitution
Bicameral parliament
Unitary state

Devolution and constitutional monarchy spring to mind. I assume you don't mean that the separation of powers is in itself a feature of our constitution, but intend on breaking that down a little bit (as the separation of powers - understood as a distribution of powers - is present in all states!).
Original post by hollycxx
Hi i was just wondering would u be able to have a decent social life when studying LLb law, like do u have time to go out/ night life etc

At the moment or 'normally' (i.e. pre-Covid)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending