The Student Room Group

Studying Law at University - Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CatusStarbright
At the moment or 'normally' (i.e. pre-Covid)?

Both please xx
Devolution and constitutional monarchy spring to mind. I assume you don't mean that the separation of powers is in itself a feature of our constitution, but intend on breaking that down a little bit (as the separation of powers - understood as a distribution of powers - is present in all states!).

At the moment or 'normally' (i.e. pre-Covid)?

That's great thank you!
Original post by hollycxx
Both please xx

Sorry for the slow reply, life got really busy!

Pre-Covid: Certainly I used to do a lot of things - I went to Dancesport society once a week, I attended careers events, did pro bono work, went out sometimes on the weekend (just out of choice, I'm not a massive party animal but some people did go out every weekend). I won't lie though, a law degree requires hard work!

Now: I spend a lot more time inside and incredibly I feel like I have less time than I did before, even as there are a lot fewer things to go out and do and I spend less time commuting to and fro. I now go to the gym 2+ times a week to compensate, though gyms are set to close given we're going into lockdown. My flatmate and I are banning ourselves from doing work on Saturdays which I would actually thoroughly recommend :colondollar:

On the whole I would say that the expected 35 hours a week of study can be quite demanding considering that excludes time spent doing careers development stuff and co-curricular activities, but good time management certainly leaves time for fun! I've made some great memories over the years :smile:
Original post by jodydavies
That's great thank you!

You're welcome!
is the debt of law school and no guarantee of a job worth it?
Original post by studyallday
is the debt of law school and no guarantee of a job worth it?

That's an interesting question, and the answer totally depends on what your aims are. Personally, I have no regrets.

It's important to remember as well that if you want to be a solicitor or a barrister then you have to have a degree to be able to qualify (though note that this can be done via a degree apprenticeship which firms are beginning to offer).
I'm looking to apply at Aberdeen for law with English law, Lancaster for law with international law, Lancaster again for law with a placement year, and I'm also applying to Cardiff for law with criminology. Is it smart to apply to one uni for degrees and can I please have recommendations for more? Also are my choices rubbish :') ?
Original post by ipsabhatt
I'm looking to apply at Aberdeen for law with English law, Lancaster for law with international law, Lancaster again for law with a placement year, and I'm also applying to Cardiff for law with criminology. Is it smart to apply to one uni for degrees and can I please have recommendations for more? Also are my choices rubbish :') ?

I'm really no expert but there's no reason why you can't apply for two courses at one uni. I take it the first Lancaster one is with a year abroad and the latter is placement instead?

As for recommendations and whether your choices are 'rubbish': I can't really say, as only you know where will be best for you!
I'm really no expert but there's no reason why you can't apply for two courses at one uni. I take it the first Lancaster one is with a year abroad and the latter is placement instead?

As for recommendations and whether your choices are 'rubbish': I can't really say, as only you know where will be best for you!

Yes placement year and year abroad!
Aww thank you!

But could you please give ur judgement I genuinely don’t mind as ur more experienced and I haven’t been able visit them so any opinion would be great 🙏
I’m the first in my family to go for law so any advice for uni choices I would be most grateful

If you apply for law with any subject or european studies do we have to base our personal statement have to focus on that or can it just be on law
I'm currently in my third (and penultimate) year studying Law at The University of Leeds.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying Law, and I will do my best to answer. Please note however that there will be differences between different universities, as each university has its own approach to course structure, content, etc.

I specifically study LLB Law with French Law, so I can also discuss a bit about studying abroad and what it's like to study a language/a different legal system alongside English law, what it's like to learn in your second language, etc. I do however know as much about straight Law courses too, so don't worry about that!

I hope this may be of use to you!

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.

@CatusStarbright - 3rd year LLB Law with French Law, Leeds
@MidgetFever- Current student, Law, Sheffield
@aylee_ - Current student, Law, Leeds
@beaurudol- Current student, Law, Bristol
@giothevanna11 - Current student, Law, Durham
@professormcr - Current student, Law, UCL
@BeckyZoe - Graduate, Law, Northumbria
@king axolotl - Offer holder, Law, Cambridge
@Miriam29 - Offer holder, Law, Cambridge
@silkydon11 - Offer holder, Law, Edinburgh
@Ni_ole_ - Offer holder, Law, Newcastle
@Kali.kb - Offer holder, Law, Sheffield
@jger_rams2019 -Offer holder, Law, Cambridge
@legallystressed - Offer holder, Law, UCL

---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

What do you think of none uni students? and How old are you?
Yes placement year and year abroad!
Aww thank you!

But could you please give ur judgement I genuinely don’t mind as ur more experienced and I haven’t been able visit them so any opinion would be great 🙏
I’m the first in my family to go for law so any advice for uni choices I would be most grateful

If you apply for law with any subject or european studies do we have to base our personal statement have to focus on that or can it just be on law

Lovely!

What I can do is give you some things to consider to help you make your choices:
1. Uni reputation - Do you care about uni prestige? What is the satisfaction level of students already there?
2. Grades - Which unis can you realistically get into? Which uni will be your insurance in case you don't do as well as you hope?
3. Location - What kind of place would you like to study in? Do you want to commute to uni? Do you mind being far away from home? What size town/city would you like to live and/or study in?
4. Course - Do you like the sound of the course? Are the module choices appealing to you?
5. Student Services - What does the Student's Union offer? Do you need any special services (e.g. disability, mental health) and if so what do they offer and how good are they?
6. Activities - If you have hobbies and wish to continue them, can you do this easily? Are there clubs/societies you are interested in? What opportunities are there within the university?
7. Accommodation (if you're not commuting) - Are there good accommodation choices? Are they affordable? What are the options like for further years - will you need to seek private accommodation or can you still live in university residences?
8. Costs - What are living costs like in the university location? How much does accommodation cost? What travel costs might you have?

This isn't an exhaustive list but I hope it helps get you started!

In your personal statement I would definitely just focus on law because otherwise the different unis will be confused - e.g. Lancaster would have no idea why your PS talked about criminology as well if you put it in to appeal to Cardiff. What you can do is ask if you can submit more tailored personal statements to the unis with courses you're applying to which are not just straight law.
Original post by Protester20
What do you think of none uni students? and How old are you?

I'm 21 now. What do you mean specifically by 'non-uni students'? That makes up the vast majority of the population!
What would you say are the best and worst non-law degrees to go into law with via the GDL (I think that’s what it’s called!)
Lovely!

What I can do is give you some things to consider to help you make your choices:
1. Uni reputation - Do you care about uni prestige? What is the satisfaction level of students already there?
2. Grades - Which unis can you realistically get into? Which uni will be your insurance in case you don't do as well as you hope?
3. Location - What kind of place would you like to study in? Do you want to commute to uni? Do you mind being far away from home? What size town/city would you like to live and/or study in?
4. Course - Do you like the sound of the course? Are the module choices appealing to you?
5. Student Services - What does the Student's Union offer? Do you need any special services (e.g. disability, mental health) and if so what do they offer and how good are they?
6. Activities - If you have hobbies and wish to continue them, can you do this easily? Are there clubs/societies you are interested in? What opportunities are there within the university?
7. Accommodation (if you're not commuting) - Are there good accommodation choices? Are they affordable? What are the options like for further years - will you need to seek private accommodation or can you still live in university residences?
8. Costs - What are living costs like in the university location? How much does accommodation cost? What travel costs might you have?

This isn't an exhaustive list but I hope it helps get you started!

In your personal statement I would definitely just focus on law because otherwise the different unis will be confused - e.g. Lancaster would have no idea why your PS talked about criminology as well if you put it in to appeal to Cardiff. What you can do is ask if you can submit more tailored personal statements to the unis with courses you're applying to which are not just straight law.

I'm 21 now. What do you mean specifically by 'non-uni students'? That makes up the vast majority of the population!

Thank you so much !
Original post by Lukem14
What would you say are the best and worst non-law degrees to go into law with via the GDL (I think that’s what it’s called!)

The GDL is being scrapped it’s the SQE now
The GDL is being scrapped it’s the SQE now

But what would you say are the best and worst non law degrees to go into law. Just curious
Original post by Lukem14
But what would you say are the best and worst non law degrees to go into law. Just curious

Honestly, it really does not matter.

I am also applying to Aberdeen!
Original post by hollycxx
I am also applying to Aberdeen!

What law degree are you applying for because there are several 😂😭
What law degree are you applying for because there are several 😂😭

Just law
Hey,
I am applying for law courses at two unis this year:
Uni of sheffield and sheffield hallam university.
I know that sheffield hallam offerd a year of work placement in the universities law firm wheres uni of sheff does not. However, uni of Sheffield is a russel group. Which one should i pick?
Original post by Ebadur345
Hey,
I am applying for law courses at two unis this year:
Uni of sheffield and sheffield hallam university.
I know that sheffield hallam offerd a year of work placement in the universities law firm wheres uni of sheff does not. However, uni of Sheffield is a russel group. Which one should i pick?

Ultimately, which one to pick comes down to what you want out of your time at university.

Here are some things to consider to help you make your choice between the two universities:
1. Uni reputation (which you mentioned) - Do you care about uni prestige? What is the satisfaction level of students already there?
2. Grades - What is the typical offer for each of the two and how does that compare with what you are likely to get?
4. Course - Which course do you prefer? Are you desperate for that work placement year or might you change your mind later on? Could you volunteer for pro bono projects alongside a degree at the University of Sheffield and get the experience that way?
5. Student Services - What does the Student's Union of each university offer? Do you need any special services (e.g. disability, mental health) and if so what do they offer and how good are they?
6. Activities - If you have hobbies and wish to continue them, can you do this easily at either of them? Are there clubs/societies you are interested in? What opportunities are there within both universities?
8. Costs - Would living at one university cost you more than the other? What kind of travel costs might you incur getting to either of them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending