The Student Room Group

999/101 police call handler and dispatcher role.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by alisonjayme
Hi - I have my assessment for the Met this coming Saturday and have no idea what to expect can you share your experience especially with regard to the typing test - do you need to type every word or just the relevant information?
Thanks

The first part is the group assessment, it may be different on different days but it's essentially the same. First you'll ask the person next to you info about them and try to memorise as much as you can my best advise is: age, location, education, hobby, skill. get that info memorised and any other stuff you can think of, work together to do this as the assessors will be looking for communication rather than info dumping. then a group activity where you may be sorting calls by emergency, 1-6 (1-most severe get police asap 15mins top, 2-less emergent police within 1 hour, etc they will explain when you are there) if your team doesn't finish putting them into categories that's fine as long as the assessors are able to see clear communication between you.Next is the typing test you should get a link to the practice site i'd suggest doing different settings on the page (random words, songs, books etc) as it helps change your cognitive view. In the test there will be pre-written text (usually something you would hear on a 999 call) do your best to copy it to a T as they care more for accuracy over speed also watch out when you are reading as they may change how numbers are written (like this: Twenty vs 20 ) so when you are reading it make sure you watch out for that.If you make it through you'll then have the 1 on 1 interview it will be you and 2 assessors 1 writing the info 1 talking to you basic interview questions like; why do you want to work here? and more of the same that you answered on the phone interview, and they may also ask scenario based questions like; if you saw a coworker breaking the rules what would you do? answer as honestly as you can and be yourself.You may have to wait around for them to deliberate for a while, it is nerve wracking, they will take you back into the room you had the interview and tell you whether you passed or not
Hope this helped
Reply 181
Hi guys. I am due to have my assessment on the 25th for west midlands police. the day is split into 3 -
Task 1 Listening Skills (30 minutes)

· Task 2 Teamwork (30 minutes)

· Task 3 will be a 2-part task (30 minutes)

o Task 3a Communication and Questioning Skills

o Task 3b Reasoning Skills

can anyone give any guidance on how the tasks will be?
Thanks in advance:smile:
Reply 182
Hi guys i wanted too ask what the hours worked during training i know its 3 weeks at hendon then 2 weeks of 8hour shifts then 3 weeks of 12 hour shift
Basically how many hours did you work during training (i'm trying to work out how much i'd get for wages for bills etc.)
Reply 183
Original post by lego84
Hi guys. I am due to have my assessment on the 25th for west midlands police. the day is split into 3 -

Hello,
This is what I'm interested too. I have my assessment next Saturday. Can anyone help please.
Hi Everyone !
I was wandering if anyone had any information on what the telephone interview entails ??
Hi Everyone, I have my assessment next week with Hertfordshire cons FCR. Can anyone help im so nervous.
Original post by shonpjb
The first part is the group assessment, it may be different on different days but it's essentially the same. First you'll ask the person next to you info about them and try to memorise as much as you can my best advise is: age, location, education, hobby, skill. get that info memorised and any other stuff you can think of, work together to do this as the assessors will be looking for communication rather than info dumping. then a group activity where you may be sorting calls by emergency, 1-6 (1-most severe get police asap 15mins top, 2-less emergent police within 1 hour, etc they will explain when you are there) if your team doesn't finish putting them into categories that's fine as long as the assessors are able to see clear communication between you.Next is the typing test you should get a link to the practice site i'd suggest doing different settings on the page (random words, songs, books etc) as it helps change your cognitive view. In the test there will be pre-written text (usually something you would hear on a 999 call) do your best to copy it to a T as they care more for accuracy over speed also watch out when you are reading as they may change how numbers are written (like this: Twenty vs 20 ) so when you are reading it make sure you watch out for that.If you make it through you'll then have the 1 on 1 interview it will be you and 2 assessors 1 writing the info 1 talking to you basic interview questions like; why do you want to work here? and more of the same that you answered on the phone interview, and they may also ask scenario based questions like; if you saw a coworker breaking the rules what would you do? answer as honestly as you can and be yourself.You may have to wait around for them to deliberate for a while, it is nerve wracking, they will take you back into the room you had the interview and tell you whether you passed or not
Hope this helped
Hello ! Thank you for this. Could i ask ? Do you have any tips for the initial telephone stage ?
Original post by Jamieleee96
Hello ! Thank you for this. Could i ask ? Do you have any tips for the initial telephone stage ?
the initial telephone interview was relatively simple. it was general chitchat then scenario based questions such as;
you are late for work you take a shortcut through an alleyway and witness a cyclist knock down a pedestrian, at that moment you get a text from your boss telling you, you have to attend a meeting as soon as you get in about your performance what do you do?
these questions are designed to see your logical thinking and what you deem is the most important aspect of the situation, think about the question carefully perhaps write down key info as you are listening to the question so it's easier to understand.
for me she gave me 2 scenario based questions then the usual interview type questions, like why do you want to work for us? etc.

best advise is keep calm and take a moment to think before answering, if you are unsure of something ask for the information, in the scenario based questions the more info you have the better judgement call you can make.

hope this helps :smile:
Original post by shonpjb
the initial telephone interview was relatively simple. it was general chitchat then scenario based questions such as;
you are late for work you take a shortcut through an alleyway and witness a cyclist knock down a pedestrian, at that moment you get a text from your boss telling you, you have to attend a meeting as soon as you get in about your performance what do you do?
these questions are designed to see your logical thinking and what you deem is the most important aspect of the situation, think about the question carefully perhaps write down key info as you are listening to the question so it's easier to understand.
for me she gave me 2 scenario based questions then the usual interview type questions, like why do you want to work for us? etc.

best advise is keep calm and take a moment to think before answering, if you are unsure of something ask for the information, in the scenario based questions the more info you have the better judgement call you can make.

hope this helps :smile:
Thank you so much !! Lifesaver !
Hi!! Just had an interview to be a Kent police call handler. Interview was on Tuesday. (Friday today). Haven’t yet heard if I’ve been successful. How long did it take anyone else to hear back ?
Original post by Hollyeeeemara
Hi!! Just had an interview to be a Kent police call handler. Interview was on Tuesday. (Friday today). Haven’t yet heard if I’ve been successful. How long did it take anyone else to hear back ?
I’ve got mine with Hertfordshire. Did you have an assessment first?
Hi everyone !
I was wandering if anyone had any tips for the Interview stage of the assessment centre ? Maybe general questions asked ?
Original post by lego84

Hi

I hope your interview went well!
I am due to go to the assessment centre next Wednesday for West Midlands Police.
I've been told the day is split into 4 parts:

Task 2 Teamwork (30 minutes)

Task 3 - Communication and Questioning Skills (30 minutes)

Task 4 Reasoning Skills (30 minutes)

Can you please advise me on things I should prepare for or any tips you'd like to share with me? I'm a bit stressed out as I don't really understand what is going to be going on in each stage, they haven't explained it that's all ive been told.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending