The Student Room Group

999/101 police call handler and dispatcher role.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by NT00
Hi Wundr,

How was your assessment was the assessment straightforward.? I feel kind of worried
Thanks Neha

Hey 👋🏼

I haven’t done an assessment yet. My application has only just been sent a few days ago. I’m just being naughty and thinking ahead, in the event I get the role- would it be manageable for me to commute etc. Do you have an assessment coming up and may I ask when you applied?
Reply 41
Original post by Wundr
Hey 👋🏼

I haven’t done an assessment yet. My application has only just been sent a few days ago. I’m just being naughty and thinking ahead, in the event I get the role- would it be manageable for me to commute etc. Do you have an assessment coming up and may I ask when you applied?

Hey, Wnudr
Hope you’re well.? My assessment is in two weeks time. My application I did that in the first week of December, in January I had a telephone interview. I’m just worried about the assessment when I go there face-to-face as the first bit is going to be a typing test and then a phone test and then interview after that. at this moment of time I am practising typing online. And writing the notes down on values of a MetPolice. Which area are you from.? Cause the locations Bow, Hendon and Lambeth.
For me Bow would be the nearest but I don’t mind either the other two. Thanks Neha
Reply 42
Original post by NT00
Hey, Wnudr
Hope you’re well.? My assessment is in two weeks time. My application I did that in the first week of December, in January I had a telephone interview. I’m just worried about the assessment when I go there face-to-face as the first bit is going to be a typing test and then a phone test and then interview after that. at this moment of time I am practising typing online. And writing the notes down on values of a MetPolice. Which area are you from.? Cause the locations Bow, Hendon and Lambeth.
For me Bow would be the nearest but I don’t mind either the other two. Thanks Neha

I’m good thanks! I recently applied for the NCA and was unsuccessful. I thought the deadline for this role was the 14th of January but it was extended because I found it was on the 16th of February so I thought I’ll finish my application and send it off. I think assessments in general are daunting because your actions are assessed to. I think you should try to a mix between being the best parts of yourself and making those are genuine as possible. Just imagine you’re already in the job and this is your first day. Interact with the people as if you’re already in the role and pay attention to all the information you come across. Practice for the elements of the actual role, like it’s a telephone based role, work on your telephone voice. Practice in the mirror, work on hand gestures to accentuate your points for when you have your interview. Also, remember the STAR technique when they interview you as a way to concentrate your answers. Continue practicing the type test; 41WPM with a 95% accuracy is the average. You’re prepping for it and I’m sure you’ll do well! I’m from out of London, I live in Luton so it would be a commute for me. Lambeth is a no-no for me. The idea of being closer to central sounds appealing but it’s a wayward route for me if I was successful.
Reply 43
Original post by Wundr
I’m good thanks! I recently applied for the NCA and was unsuccessful. I thought the deadline for this role was the 14th of January but it was extended because I found it was on the 16th of February so I thought I’ll finish my application and send it off. I think assessments in general are daunting because your actions are assessed to. I think you should try to a mix between being the best parts of yourself and making those are genuine as possible. Just imagine you’re already in the job and this is your first day. Interact with the people as if you’re already in the role and pay attention to all the information you come across. Practice for the elements of the actual role, like it’s a telephone based role, work on your telephone voice. Practice in the mirror, work on hand gestures to accentuate your points for when you have your interview. Also, remember the STAR technique when they interview you as a way to concentrate your answers. Continue practicing the type test; 41WPM with a 95% accuracy is the average. You’re prepping for it and I’m sure you’ll do well! I’m from out of London, I live in Luton so it would be a commute for me. Lambeth is a no-no for me. The idea of being closer to central sounds appealing but it’s a wayward route for me if I was successful.

Wow Luton very far, yes I have been prepping for the assessment, which the telephone Iv been saying “Hello Metropolitan Police what’s your emergency” Iv been watching videos on you tube to help me which I’m prepping. So that should help me. Yes indeed they have extended till the 16th February last date. so you waiting for your telephone interview.? the assessment seems very straight forward, just have to be focused, have any of your friends applied for the Communication Office position.? Thanks Neha
Reply 44
Original post by NT00
Wow Luton very far, yes I have been prepping for the assessment, which the telephone Iv been saying “Hello Metropolitan Police what’s your emergency” Iv been watching videos on you tube to help me which I’m prepping. So that should help me. Yes indeed they have extended till the 16th February last date. so you waiting for your telephone interview.? the assessment seems very straight forward, just have to be focused, have any of your friends applied for the Communication Office position.? Thanks Neha

I think you’ll do great and even if you don’t succeed, you’ve tried your best and there will be something else for you. I’m guessing you really want this role? Yeah, Luton is a bit outside but there are great transport links.

I don’t know anyone working in this role, I’m not even sure how I found the job to begin with! Ha!
Reply 45
Original post by Wundr
I think you’ll do great and even if you don’t succeed, you’ve tried your best and there will be something else for you. I’m guessing you really want this role? Yeah, Luton is a bit outside but there are great transport links.

I don’t know anyone working in this role, I’m not even sure how I found the job to begin with! Ha!

Awwww Thanks. Yes Luton got good transport links, have MetPolice got back to you about your application or not yet. Well this role is a fantastic opportunity for myself and helping the community and public, it’s like giving something back. How your typing speed.?
Reply 46
Original post by NT00
Awwww Thanks. Yes Luton got good transport links, have MetPolice got back to you about your application or not yet. Well this role is a fantastic opportunity for myself and helping the community and public, it’s like giving something back. How your typing speed.?

They haven’t got back to me so I am waiting patiently. I applied on 1st Feb so I am not expecting anything soon. I applied for Border Force and was successfully placed in reserve- that was the longest application and process I’ve even been through. There is no guarantee I will be placed in a position at my chosen airport. I was successful on 5th May 2021 and it’s Feb 2022 now! The process for Met was explained in a better sense and so smooth too, I think this would be a more practical job for me and yeah; helping the vulnerable like this would be very rewarding. My typing speed was 43% with 97% accuracy. I haven’t been using my laptop much for the period of my pregnancy and now my little boy is 6 months old and I’m starting to get back into it. I will practice more too just to be safe! How well are you doing? And is the first time you would be doing something like this?
Reply 47
Original post by Wundr
They haven’t got back to me so I am waiting patiently. I applied on 1st Feb so I am not expecting anything soon. I applied for Border Force and was successfully placed in reserve- that was the longest application and process I’ve even been through. There is no guarantee I will be placed in a position at my chosen airport. I was successful on 5th May 2021 and it’s Feb 2022 now! The process for Met was explained in a better sense and so smooth too, I think this would be a more practical job for me and yeah; helping the vulnerable like this would be very rewarding. My typing speed was 43% with 97% accuracy. I haven’t been using my laptop much for the period of my pregnancy and now my little boy is 6 months old and I’m starting to get back into it. I will practice more too just to be safe! How well are you doing? And is the first time you would be doing something like this?

Hey. I’m good thanks.
Yes indeed this is the first time I’m doing something like this turn that’s why I’m preparing watching videos online on YouTube police control room various videos phone answering calls and typing I’ve been practising online so I can be prepared and for the interview I’ve just been writing some notes that I need to write down about the values of the Met police. On the application online they haven’t given that much information, of what their requirements might be in the assessment.
Reply 48
Original post by NT00
Hey. I’m good thanks.
Yes indeed this is the first time I’m doing something like this turn that’s why I’m preparing watching videos online on YouTube police control room various videos phone answering calls and typing I’ve been practising online so I can be prepared and for the interview I’ve just been writing some notes that I need to write down about the values of the Met police. On the application online they haven’t given that much information, of what their requirements might be in the assessment.

I think a big part of this job is to be able to work under pressure and also be able to deal with whatever situation arises. If they gave away too much detail, it’s easy to anticipate the outcome and that isn’t realistic all the time. If I pass the first stage then I’ll most likely take your approach and try my best to prepare. When is your assessment? I did look over the job advert again- is it me or is the pay for this role immense?
Reply 49
Original post by Wundr
I think a big part of this job is to be able to work under pressure and also be able to deal with whatever situation arises. If they gave away too much detail, it’s easy to anticipate the outcome and that isn’t realistic all the time. If I pass the first stage then I’ll most likely take your approach and try my best to prepare. When is your assessment? I did look over the job advert again- is it me or is the pay for this role immense?

Yes indeed just practice and prepare, I mean you don’t wanna go in the assessment and have no clue what’s happening and what’s going on so the best thing is to be prepared and practice typing and watch police control room videos on YouTube because they got short clips on there regarding speaking to a caller. My assessment is in two weeks time. Yes the pay seems to be a huge amount for this role.
Reply 50
Original post by NT00
Yes indeed just practice and prepare, I mean you don’t wanna go in the assessment and have no clue what’s happening and what’s going on so the best thing is to be prepared and practice typing and watch police control room videos on YouTube because they got short clips on there regarding speaking to a caller. My assessment is in two weeks time. Yes the pay seems to be a huge amount for this role.

I wish you all the best in your assessment- please keep me updated on how you did?
I’ve been reading Glassdoor & Indeed reviews on the role; a lot of people mention it’s difficult and can be stressful and inflexible. I think given these circumstances, the pay would have to reflect it, hence why the pay scale is more. I am a practicing Muslim so I am taking into account if it would be ideal.
Reply 51
Original post by Wundr
I wish you all the best in your assessment- please keep me updated on how you did?
I’ve been reading Glassdoor & Indeed reviews on the role; a lot of people mention it’s difficult and can be stressful and inflexible. I think given these circumstances, the pay would have to reflect it, hence why the pay scale is more. I am a practicing Muslim so I am taking into account if it would be ideal.

Hi, Yes I will definitely keep you updated on my assessment. Iv been reading the reviews last night on Glassdoor & Indeed, people have been saying long hours of work as this can be working all night and stressful work life balance, they have said in the review your learning new stuff everyday also they give excellent training.
Hi there,

I have my assessment next week.
please can you pass on any tips i am so nervous.

How did you get on?
Original post by Lukemccarten_95
Hello there! Very new to the forum world! Haha.
Anyway, I recently passed stage 2 vetting for the role of a 999/101 call handler in Kent and have an assessment and interview date all in one session on the 20th so about 13 days.

Because of covid-19 it is being done virtually over the computer. It is also 1 on 1.

Not sure really what to expect. I have been studying the kent police values and beliefs as well as the policing core competencies and values framework
So that I can incorporate these things into my answers for any interview questions. But in terms of role play. Or typing and call handling role playing or assessments I have no idea what to expect and its scary haha!
Been checking up on my political correctness also and phone skills.

I am asking if anyone has any tips or advice if previously in this role or position as to what to expect, or maybe you still are and can help me! Either way help haha 🤣

I want this job so very badly!
Thankyou in advance :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by SEGuy
Has anyone been through this process for the Met? Got my assessment on Sunday and had very little information on what's going to be taking place! Cheers in advance.

Hi, How you well.? How long is the assessment for how many hours.?
Reply 54
Original post by NT00
Hi, How you well.? How long is the assessment for how many hours.?

Depends on how you are doing throughout the day. If you pass the first two tests, you’ll sit an interview the same day but you may have to wait around for a while whilst other interviews are conducted.

For my assessment day I think it took around just over 3 hours in total (group excersize, typing test and interview)
Reply 55
Original post by NT00
Hi, Yes I will definitely keep you updated on my assessment. Iv been reading the reviews last night on Glassdoor & Indeed, people have been saying long hours of work as this can be working all night and stressful work life balance, they have said in the review your learning new stuff everyday also they give excellent training.

Hi Wundr, How are you.? Have you heard anything back from the Met Police.?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by NT00
Hi Wundr, How are you.? Have you heard anything back from the Met Police.?

Hey 👋🏼

I found out yesterday that I was unsuccessful because I didn’t meet the eligibility criteria. It isn’t bad news for me, I’ve been offered a different position so I’m glad something came from all this. How are things going for you?
Original post by hayleymx27
Thankyou so much for your help and advice! I passed my assessment and have been offered a position. (Subject to referencing and vetting checks) 😊😊

Original post by Wylo
I have just been accepted for the role yesterday, feel free to contact me with any questions

Hi can you message me what the assessment centre in Hendon will consist of
Original post by SEGuy
Depends on how you are doing throughout the day. If you pass the first two tests, you’ll sit an interview the same day but you may have to wait around for a while whilst other interviews are conducted.

For my assessment day I think it took around just over 3 hours in total (group excersize, typing test and interview)

Hi Iv got an assessment in a few days can you message or tell me what it will consist of set by step when I go there ?
Reply 59
Original post by Wundr
Hey 👋🏼

I found out yesterday that I was unsuccessful because I didn’t meet the eligibility criteria. It isn’t bad news for me, I’ve been offered a different position so I’m glad something came from all this. How are things going for you?

Hey, I’m sorry to have heard that, did they say the reason. I’m getting all worried Iv been Practising typing. it’s not to far away my assessment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending