The Student Room Group

999/101 police call handler and dispatcher role.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by NT00
Hey, I’m sorry to have heard that, did they say the reason. I’m getting all worried Iv been Practising typing. it’s not to far away my assessment.

They were unable to provide me with feedback. Honestly, if I didn’t get an offer with the Border Force, I would have felt really sad not to get this role- It interested me a lot when I applied.

I can imagine you’ll get much more nervous as the time draws nearer but you’ll be fine! You practiced a lot and just be natural- be a team player and work on your ‘telephone voice’ too. I think there is only so much theory you can apply until you need to get into the practical
Reply 61
Good luck to those of you with assessments coming up.

Don't panic, just practice your typing skills trying to maintain a good amount of words per minute whilst having high accuracy. And have a look at the Met police core values in case you make it through to the interview.

Just be yourself, and speak to people and get involved on the day and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Reply 62
Original post by SEGuy
Good luck to those of you with assessments coming up.

Don't panic, just practice your typing skills trying to maintain a good amount of words per minute whilst having high accuracy. And have a look at the Met police core values in case you make it through to the interview.

Just be yourself, and speak to people and get involved on the day and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank you very much that’s very kind.

When do you start your position and is your vetting completed.?
Reply 63
Original post by NT00
Thank you very much that’s very kind.

When do you start your position and is your vetting completed.?

No start date has been confirmed yet as I only have a conditional offer of employment but I believe the first training course is in May. I'm still waiting on my vetting to be completed and I would imagine once that's done I'll have an unconditional offer + start date.
Reply 64
Original post by SEGuy
No start date has been confirmed yet as I only have a conditional offer of employment but I believe the first training course is in May. I'm still waiting on my vetting to be completed and I would imagine once that's done I'll have an unconditional offer + start date.

Right that’s correct depending on your reference if they get back to them quickly also depending on your previous employer yeah of course it’s gonna take a little bit of time. I’m sure once that’s done They’ll tell you about the start date after on the training course. Did you do a lateral flow test when you got there.?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 65
I had my assessment today, the first bit was a group assessment, getting to know it’s a icebreaker, so I was teamed up with one of the girls that was in the group and that task was getting to know that person the name where that person is from and what they do, The second bit of the assessment was a group activity sheet of paper on that paper we had to grade it worked in groups of four, The activity was six scenarios from the sheet of paper which had to be graded from immediate to not bothered and then we was all taken to a room for the typing test so the first is practice test then after you have three rounds of the typing test and it’s only one minute.. so the standard speed of typing is 34 speed, for my typing test my score was 22 speed which was low and I didn’t go through to the interview round as I was panicking. So if anyone has got an assessment coming up advise you that do practice typing, so the one that they use is speed typing online what is format you will need to type accurately with speed if you get any mistakes or errors your speed goes down and your accuracy goes down your speed will not go up or the accuracy would not go up your speed will just remain the same once you do mistakes and if you go back to the word to correct it your speed will decrease so bear that in mind so that’s happened to me and that was very annoying once I went back to correct the word my speed went down so please bear that in mind practice typing on (speed typing online) they did say to me after six months I can reapply for the communication officer position again. so I thought I would share this important information to you if anyone’s got any questions feel free to message me.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by NT00
I had my assessment today, the first bit was a group assessment, getting to know it’s a icebreaker, so I was teamed up with one of the girls that was in the group and that task was getting to know that person the name where that person is from and what they do, The second bit of the assessment was a group activity sheet of paper on that paper we had to grade it worked in groups of four, The activity was six scenarios from the sheet of paper which had to be graded from immediate to not bothered and then we was all taken to a room for the typing test so the first is practice test then after you have three rounds of the typing test and it’s only one minute.. so the standard speed of typing is 34 speed, for my typing test my score was 22 speed which was low and I didn’t go through to the interview round as I was panicking. So if anyone has got an assessment coming up advise you that do practice typing, so the one that they use is speed typing online what is format you will need to type accurately with speed if you get any mistakes or errors your speed goes down and your accuracy goes down your speed will not go up or the accuracy would not go up your speed will just remain the same once you do mistakes and if you go back to the word to correct it your speed will decrease so bear that in mind so that’s happened to me and that was very annoying once I went back to correct the word my speed went down so please bear that in mind practice typing on (speed typing online) they did say to me after six months I can reapply for the communication officer position again. so I thought I would share this important information to you if anyone’s got any questions feel free to message me.

Sorry to hear you didn't make it through this time around.

I think the typing part of the assessment is the make or break part of the day. I know on my assessment day over half of them did not go further than this, I guess it is quite an important part of the job to be able to accurately and quickly record information given.

At least you got some good experience and in six months you can try again if you like!
Reply 67
Can someone help got interview on teams for South Wales poles emergency services operator can anyone help with questions I can expect passed the audio assessment and pir test
Not the same force as me, but I was asked a question about diversity, what it means to me and why it’s important in the police force. I was asked about what my values are and how they relate to the values of the police and then was given a few scenario questions, for example one was something like “explain a time where you dealt with a angry/upset/hostile customer”. If you have any questions at all feel free to message me!

Original post by Djp42
Can someone help got interview on teams for South Wales poles emergency services operator can anyone help with questions I can expect passed the audio assessment and pir test
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 69
Hi Elloux21, I wondered if you could help me with some advice? Ive got my initial assessment interview this week, and I’m so nervous about the questions. I really really want this job. I’m aware that this is just the first round but I have no idea where to start,I don’t want to mess it up with nerves and not being prepared. The assessment interview is only 20 mins. Do you have any advice? thanks in advance 🙂
Reply 70
Original post by Jawa64
Hi Elloux21, I wondered if you could help me with some advice? Ive got my initial assessment interview this week, and I’m so nervous about the questions. I really really want this job. I’m aware that this is just the first round but I have no idea where to start,I don’t want to mess it up with nerves and not being prepared. The assessment interview is only 20 mins. Do you have any advice? thanks in advance 🙂

Is this for the Met or another constabulary?
Reply 71
The met, communications officer 999 calls 🙂 sorry I didn’t realise I should have made that clearer
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Jawa64
The met, communications officer 999 calls 🙂 sorry I didn’t realise I should have made that clearer

So the telephone interview you will be given 3 questions - the first is just about why you want to do the job itself. The following 2 questions are scenario-based and they are looking for your actions in these scenarios to see if you are a good fit for the job.

They do state there is no right/wrong answer so just answer them honestly and see how you get on! They will tell you on the phone if you have passed or not and arrange your next stage if successful. If you do make it on to the full assessment centre there is information on that posted further up the thread!

Good luck!
Reply 73
Hey, would you be able to message me please!!🙏🏼
Reply 74
Original post by Wylo
I have just been accepted for the role yesterday, feel free to contact me with any questions

Heyyy, would you be able to message me please!!🙏🏼
Reply 75
heyyy, would you be able to give me some advice on the interview? I have it tomorrow at 4pm and I am absolutely bricking myself 😂
Reply 76
Heyyy!! I have my interview at 4pm tomorrow. I am soooo nervous but I really want this job!! Can somebody please give me advice for the interview? It’s via teams. I have already done my assessment. I would be soo grateful!!🙏🏼☺️
Original post by SEGuy
Is this for the Met or another constabulary?

Sorry only just seen this! Another constabulary 🙂
Reply 78
Hi, I have failed the situational test previously, I thought I had answered them quite well, any tips for this part of the assessment?
Reply 79
Original post by hayleymx27
Thankyou so much for your help and advice! I passed my assessment and have been offered a position. (Subject to referencing and vetting checks) 😊😊😊

Hello i have been offered the job on condition of successful vetting and pre employment checks, how long did you have to wait till you heard back i been waiting two months so far…

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending