The Student Room Group

999/101 police call handler and dispatcher role.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Wylo
I have just been accepted for the role yesterday, feel free to contact me with any questions

Hello i got a conditional offer based on successful pre employment checks.. the vetting has been currently going on for 2months since i got the offer, how long did it take you? and i wanted to ask if i have been dismissed from a job in the past and mentioned this in the vetting form will this affect the offer i have recieved i have been truthful about the dismissal and everything.
Reply 81
Original post by SEGuy
No worries!

I chose Lambeth as my first pick, it's the only realistic commute for me. Hendon is the other side of London from where I am!

Good luck with your application.

Hello i got a conditional offer based on successful pre employment checks.. the vetting has been currently going on for 2months since i got the offer, how long did it take you? and i wanted to ask if i have been dismissed from a job in the past and mentioned this in the vetting form will this affect the offer i have recieved i have been truthful about the dismissal and everything.
Reply 82
Original post by SEGuy
No start date has been confirmed yet as I only have a conditional offer of employment but I believe the first training course is in May. I'm still waiting on my vetting to be completed and I would imagine once that's done I'll have an unconditional offer + start date.

Hi, can you give my advice as to the interview questions you got asked for Cheshire police ?
Reply 84
Original post by Robin-a

If you declared it all you’ll be fine. Remember that everyone’s circumstances are slightly different.

My vetting only took around 4 weeks and I start on Monday 9th May.
Original post by Robin-a

Hi😊I think if there was an issue they would have called you, might just take a bit longer because of the circumstances. Mine only took 4 weeks but was straight forward, I know someone else who started at the same time as me who’s took around 3 months
Hello,

If anyone has tips for the stage after the phone interview for the call handler role with London Met it would be really appreciated. (Hendon Assessment Centre)

So far I have been studying the values of London Met ie: Integrity, Impartiality, Transparency and Public service (Policing’s Competency and Values Framework)

From what I have been made aware there will be “a role play exercise designed to assess your verbal reasoning and communication skills” does anyone have any tips on this?

Also A typing test, any information on the layout / format of the typing test. Is it just words or a combination of words and numbers. How long does the typing test run for?

Lastly are they really strict on the dress code?

Thank you all in advance, all the best 😊
Reply 87
I got my interview next week as a force contact centre operator for west midlands ? any advice would be greatly appricated!!!
Reply 88
Original post by SEGuy
If you declared it all you’ll be fine. Remember that everyone’s circumstances are slightly different.

My vetting only took around 4 weeks and I start on Monday 9th May.

Hello mate, i been appointed also and start on May 9th too lol 😆 happy !
Reply 89
Original post by Elloux21
Hi😊I think if there was an issue they would have called you, might just take a bit longer because of the circumstances. Mine only took 4 weeks but was straight forward, I know someone else who started at the same time as me who’s took around 3 months

Thanks for your reply, i got accepted and start the 8week training from May 9th wanted to ask you is the course hard? i’m gonna be resigning from my current long term job i don’t want to fail the course and be left without a job? please advise how it was thanks
Reply 90
Original post by cakes4daaaays
Hello,

If anyone has tips for the stage after the phone interview for the call handler role with London Met it would be really appreciated. (Hendon Assessment Centre)

So far I have been studying the values of London Met ie: Integrity, Impartiality, Transparency and Public service (Policing’s Competency and Values Framework)

From what I have been made aware there will be “a role play exercise designed to assess your verbal reasoning and communication skills” does anyone have any tips on this?

Also A typing test, any information on the layout / format of the typing test. Is it just words or a combination of words and numbers. How long does the typing test run for?

Lastly are they really strict on the dress code?

Thank you all in advance, all the best 😊

The "Roleplay" is a group exercise where you work together to prioritise a number of mock 999 calls and grade them accordingly as per the brief.

The typing test is random each time. It can be just random words, it can be song lyrics or a passage from a book. I think 32 WPM was the benchmark?

In regards to dress code, it has instructions for dress code on the day. Remember this is potentially your future employer, if you want to risk not following the dress code then it's up to you. Someone failed to follow the dress code on my assessment day and let's just say they didn't get very far in the day.
Reply 91
Original post by Robin-a
Hello mate, i been appointed also and start on May 9th too lol 😆 happy !

Ah nice congratulations mate! I guess I'll see you on the 9th.

What did you pick as your preferences? Not looking forward to the weeks at Hendon...Such a massive commute for me so hopefully get Lambeth as my placement once training is done.
Reply 92
Original post by SEGuy

What did you pick as your preferences? Not looking forward to the weeks at Hendon...Such a massive commute for me so hopefully get Lambeth as my placement once training is done.

I was literally waiting ages, but it still says on my application “references yet to be requested” and do i hand in my notice at my current job yet ?

I picked Bow, Hendon will be an hours commute for me also arghh, what about you?
Reply 93
Original post by SEGuy

Also what do you reckon about the 8 week pass or fail course, will it be ultra difficult you reckon? i am having to resign from my long term job for this, do you think it’s mostly common sense or what?
Original post by Robin-a
Thanks for your reply, i got accepted and start the 8week training from May 9th wanted to ask you is the course hard? i’m gonna be resigning from my current long term job i don’t want to fail the course and be left without a job? please advise how it was thanks

Hi! I’m not sure which force you’re with, but if different to me it might be different however It wasn’t a course you could essentially fail. For us you don’t get like a qualification it’s just a training course, where you do small assessments just so they can see how you’re doing. If they see you are struggling you’re going to receive additional support. I wouldn’t necessarily say it was hard it is just quite full on and a lot of information to retain, you’ll enjoy it though you it’s quite overwhelming but it all makes sense once you start taking calls.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by Elloux21
Hi! I’m not sure which force you’re with, but if different to me it might be different however It wasn’t a course you could essentially fail. For us you don’t get like a qualification it’s just a training course, where you do small assessments just so they can see how you’re doing. If they see you are struggling you’re going to receive additional support. I wouldn’t necessarily say it was hard it is just quite full on and a lot of information to retain, you’ll enjoy it though you it’s quite overwhelming but it all makes sense once you start taking calls.

Mine is with the Met police? they said it’s a pas or
fail training course
Reply 96
Original post by Robin-a
Also what do you reckon about the 8 week pass or fail course, will it be ultra difficult you reckon? i am having to resign from my long term job for this, do you think it’s mostly common sense or what?

I mean, I guess there will be a certain degree of learning involved including some homework as well. If you've never had the experience of a control room environment it will probably be quite a big shock to the system, it's fast-paced, a lot of noise and usually quite a bit of pressure. Throw that in with a 12-hour shift, it can be too much for some people.

From the questions I asked in my interview, the 8 weeks isn't all classroom. It sounds like it'll be 3 weeks at Hendon with the rest of your training being "on the job", I have no doubt it'll be tough but if you apply yourself and show willingness and dedication they will help you as much as they can. Yes, there will be a possibility you fail come the end of your training unfortunately that's always going to be a possibility.

In terms of leaving your current job, that's only a decision you can make for yourself mate. I'm leaving a very well paid job to pursue this, but for me it's something I've done before and the shift pattern of 4 on/4 or 5 off is very appealing in terms of being able to spend time with my family. Plus there is good scope for promotion if you are willing to work for it. I'm not sure what your previous experience is, but if you feel this might be something you are potentially not comfortable with leaving your current job for then maybe it isn't the right decision?
Reply 97
my experience is working in hotel foh past 6years, i feel i’m good at working under pressure and can communicate clearly with people, i just hope the exams ain’t hard really wanna smash this job and progress in life
Reply 98
Original post by Robin-a
my experience is working in hotel foh past 6years, i feel i’m good at working under pressure and can communicate clearly with people, i just hope the exams ain’t hard really wanna smash this job and progress in life

I'm sure you'll do fine mate, there will be a group of us too so it'll be a team effort to help those struggling!
Reply 99
thanks mate appreciate the support, gonna trust the process , did you receive your timetable today?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending