The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Does Aberystwyth have good industry links for film/television?

I'm in year 11 and I'm looking at different unis, since I have a meeting with a careers advisor next week and I'd like to see if I can get some kind of a plan created before I speak to him.

I'm considering unis for film-making and film and television production/studies (courses with a balance between theoretic and practical), and I've been considering Aberystwyth because I like the feel of the town and I've heard it's got really good student satisfaction scores.

However, the one thing holding me back from making it a firm choice is that I'm not sure if it has good film and tv industry links, which is key if I want to get a good job in the industry. I'm particularly interested in screenwriting or producing, though I'd likely be open to other careers in the industry.
Hi @sophieisdecent

I'm currently a 3rd year student at Aberystwyth University. I study Media and Communication so I am a part of the Theatre, Film and Television Department. Some of my modules have included film and TV, both theoretical and practical. I have to say that the Creative Studio module gave me an amazing experience of producing live TV programmes.

As a Media student, I decided not to take part in film-making opportunities or placements within the industry, however the lecturers encourage students to enter film festivals and apply for internships. The department also regularly update us on opportunities that arise.

I am sure that a film-making student would know more about the department’s connections to the industry. I’ve been lucky to talk to a couple of Aberystwyth University alumnus who pursue impressive careers. One of them used to work in Los Angeles - he is a professional editor of trailers for Hollywood movies. One piece of advice he gave to film students was to develop their portfolio. Fortunately, Aberystwyth University offers plenty of opportunities to build a rich portfolio.

I hope this helps! Please, let me know if you have more questions.

Natalia
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by sophieisdecent
I'm in year 11 and I'm looking at different unis, since I have a meeting with a careers advisor next week and I'd like to see if I can get some kind of a plan created before I speak to him.

I'm considering unis for film-making and film and television production/studies (courses with a balance between theoretic and practical), and I've been considering Aberystwyth because I like the feel of the town and I've heard it's got really good student satisfaction scores.

However, the one thing holding me back from making it a firm choice is that I'm not sure if it has good film and tv industry links, which is key if I want to get a good job in the industry. I'm particularly interested in screenwriting or producing, though I'd likely be open to other careers in the industry.

Hi,
I've also applied for a tv and film production course at Aberystwyth. I'm just wondering if you ever went through to Aberystwyth, what was it like?
Hi! I am a current student at Aber if you have any questions! I don't study your course but could answer any general uni life questions you have :smile:
Original post by sophthedino
Hi! I am a current student at Aber if you have any questions! I don't study your course but could answer any general uni life questions you have :smile:

Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing any positive and negative aspects you've experienced with the uni, like did you have any difficulties meeting new people?
aside from that, i haven't got any really specific questions atm, but an overview is always appreciated :smile:.
Original post by ZoinkMan32
Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing any positive and negative aspects you've experienced with the uni, like did you have any difficulties meeting new people?
aside from that, i haven't got any really specific questions atm, but an overview is always appreciated :smile:.

Hey!

If I’m completely honest, I haven’t experienced too many negatives!! Shopping can be a bit of a nightmare if you don’t drive as all student accommodation (university owned) is at the top of the hill and town at the bottom haha. Taxis are very easy to come by though and it costs anywhere between £5-£6.50 depending on time of day and the company you use to get up and down. Circuit laundry is a NIGHTMARE but that’s the same at every university.

There are so many positives! Accommodation is great and has everything you need. There are so many societies and sports teams etc. All of my lecturers are lovely and really supportive, and they are more than happy to answer emails or questions about anything for you!

I completely understand the worry about meeting new people but it’s honestly easier than you think! My biggest advice would be to join all the Aberystwyth Freshers 2023 groups on Facebook and find the links to WhatsApp and Snapchat groups - I met my current flatmates in one of those groups! Freshers week is a great place to meet people but if you have spoken to people in group chats before moving day, you’ll feel more at ease as you’ll recognise some faces!

Societies are always a fab way to meet people too! Keeping your door open when you first move into halls is also a great idea as you can invite people in or say hello as they walk by! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest