The Student Room Group

The Newham Collegiate Sixth Form

I am thinking about applying to NCS, (ik i probably wont get in) and I was wondering about a few things. in the mocks we just did i got A in further maths, a 9 in maths and all 8's in everything apart from english lit and lang, in which i got 5's. I am planning on studying maths, further maths, physics and biology.

1- is it worth a 50 minute commute?
2- is there a uniform, or is the dress code business/formal?
3- is it difficult there, like are they very strict and do they put an overwhelming amount of pressure on you? do they overwork you?
4- what time does school start and end, and can you leave school at lunch or during frees?
5- how many students are in each cohort?
6- is there any other schools in London (preferably near SE) i should apply to that are good for stem subjects?
7- does the fact that i do combined science put me at a disadvantage as i would like to study two sciences at a-level?

thank you :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by apples983
I am thinking about applying to NCS, (ik I probably won't get in) and I was wondering about a few things. in the mocks we just did I got an A in further maths, a 9 in maths and all 8's in everything apart from English lit and lang, in which I got 5's. I am planning on studying maths, further maths, physics and biology.

1- is it worth a 50-minute commute?
3- is it difficult there, like are they very strict and do they put an overwhelming amount of pressure on you? do they overwork you?
4- what time does school start and end, and can you leave school at lunch or during frees?
6- is there any other schools in London (preferably near SE) I should apply to that are good for stem subjects?
7- does the fact that I do combine science put me at a disadvantage as I would like to study two sciences at a level?

Hey, I am a last year student at NCS and I want to say you will probably get in if you get what you got in your mocks:smile:
Anyway, answering your questions:
1 - For me, I have to travel for 1 hour to get to NCS (I live at Dagenham)
2- There is no uniform and no dress code. You can dress as you want.
3 - Is not difficult I am ofc speaking in my experience with the teacher I have for my course. But they are very helpful, they don't put pressure on you at all. If you need help they will gladly help you out:smile:
4 - It really depends. For example, for me I start at 9:00 am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesday I start at 10:25 and on Thursday at 11:50. While two days I finish at 3:10pm and the other three days at 1pm. It really depends on your timetable and if you are lucky:smile:
5 - Do you mean in each classroom? Sorry, Idk what 'cohort' means. If you mean classroom then I think around 20 - 25 students (it always depends on how people enrolled in the subject
Question 6 & 7 - idk
Sorry if I wasn't that much of a help :redface:

P.S. One thing that I think you should know about NCS that I feel is an disadvantage is that the communication skills that the college have for communicating to students any update or other stuff is VERY VERY LOW. Just thought I should let you know, if you think of applying there.
Reply 2
Original post by kate_bechett02
Hey, I am a last year student at NCS and I want to say you will probably get in if you get what you got in your mocks:smile:
3 - Is not difficult I am ofc speaking in my experience with the teacher I have for my course. But they are very helpful, they don't put pressure on you at all. If you need help they will gladly help you out:smile:
4 - It really depends. For example, for me I start at 9:00 am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesday I start at 10:25 and on Thursday at 11:50. While two days I finish at 3:10pm and the other three days at 1pm. It really depends on your timetable and if you are lucky:smile:
5 - Do you mean in each classroom? Sorry, Idk what 'cohort' means. If you mean classroom then I think around 20 - 25 students (it always depends on how people enrolled in the subject
Question 6 & 7 - idk

P.S. One thing that I think you should know about NCS that I feel is an disadvantage is that the communication skills that the college have for communicating to students any update or other stuff is VERY VERY LOW. Just thought I should let you know, if you think of applying there.

omg thank you sm this helped a lot :smile: on number 5 i meant like how many people in a year (like how many people in year 12?) idk if that makes sense but yeah. i was wondering which subjects you take? and do you enjoy going there? sorry for so many questions lol
omg thank you sm this helped a lot :smile: on number 5 i meant like how many people in a year (like how many people in year 12?) idk if that makes sense but yeah. i was wondering which subjects you take? and do you enjoy going there? sorry for so many questions lol

Hey, no is not at problem 😊 you can ask as many questions as you want. For question 5, no I understand what you mean now, but unfortunately I don't how many students 😅 sorry x. I study BTEC Health and Social Care Level 3. Yeah I enjoy, you can say that 😂 I mean it was not my first choice but this course was the only one close to the subjects that I want it to study so I had to choose it. But the teachers are great and really helpful so it takes some pressure off 🙂
Reply 4
Hey, no is not at problem 😊 you can ask as many questions as you want. For question 5, no I understand what you mean now, but unfortunately I don't how many students 😅 sorry x. I study BTEC Health and Social Care Level 3. Yeah I enjoy, you can say that 😂 I mean it was not my first choice but this course was the only one close to the subjects that I want it to study so I had to choose it. But the teachers are great and really helpful so it takes some pressure off 🙂

I swear NCS doesnt offer BTECs??? How are you doing that
Reply 5
I am thinking about applying to NCS, (ik i probably wont get in) and I was wondering about a few things. in the mocks we just did i got A in further maths, a 9 in maths and all 8's in everything apart from english lit and lang, in which i got 5's. I am planning on studying maths, further maths, physics and biology.

6- is there any other schools in London (preferably near SE) i should apply to that are good for stem subjects?
7- does the fact that i do combined science put me at a disadvantage as i would like to study two sciences at a-level?

ive heard newstead wood is good even tho idk much about SE. and no you shouldnt be at a disadvantage for combined science
Reply 6
Question 6 & 7 - idk

also there is a school uniform??? its like a suit and tie for male and something similar for females?? and around 300 people enrolled in august 2021
Original post by kk15405
I swear NCS doesnt offer BTECs??? How are you doing that

No, it does offer BTEC. I done also Level 2 of BTEC Health and Social Care. There is also Applied Science and other subjects that are BTEC.
https://sixthform.london/curriculum-will-study/

A quick look at this link shows that there are no BTECs... Also I'm worried that you don't understand what cohort means when it is a tab on the website of said school...
Reply 9
No, it does offer BTEC. I done also Level 2 of BTEC Health and Social Care. There is also Applied Science and other subjects that are BTEC.

Are you sure you are talking about Newham collegiate sixth form and not newham sixth form college? They are 2 different schools, the latter offering BTECs but definitely not newhan collegiate.
Reply 10
Original post by kk15405
also there is a school uniform??? its like a suit and tie for male and something similar for females?? and around 300 people enrolled in august 2021

thank you for this! :smile:
thank you for this! :smile:

no worries you should check the school website out all the info is there
Reply 12

The other guy probably goes to newvic or newham college because NCS doesn't do BTECs.

1. It takes me an hour to get to NCS but it is pretty chill in the morning and you get mentally prepared.
2. No uniform but the dress code is business/formal.
3. They are not strict on you but you will feel the change from GCSEs to A-Levels because since the early stages the mocks will be marked as if it was an actual paper and it is on NCS standards. It may be hard at first as you would feel like they give too much hw, but most of your revision is your hw (which is a lot) and it will help you. You will get used to it after a month.
4. School starts at 8:30am Monday to Friday and finishes at 3pm. Break is from 10:30 to 10:50 and lunch is from 1:10pm to 2pm Monday to Wednesday, except for Thursday when lunch is an 1h and 10 mins (20min extra). One good thing is that friday there is no period 5 which means you finish at 1pm.
5. We have around 300 students per year group
6. Brampton and LAE are also good.
7. Nah bro, i did combined science, it doesn't matter at all, just make sure to meet the entry requirement and get grade 89 and over. At the end is all about the total points your best 7 gcse's add up to. The higher the chance, the earlier your slot will be on results day, so you get enrolled before, as it is first come first serve. I got 71 or 72 points, which is pretty high, and my slot was from 9am to 11am, i went there around 11 and there was a massive queue with around like 300 people in front of me, i was allowed to jump the queue cause the headteacher came and took the students with higher points.

Ask me any more questions if you want to know more.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by BMH_561
The other guy probably goes to newvic or newham college because NCS doesn't do BTECs.

1. It takes me an hour to get to NCS but it is pretty chill in the morning and you get mentally prepared.
2. No uniform but the dress code is business/formal.
3. They are not strict on you but you will feel the change from GCSEs to A-Levels because since the early stages the mocks will be marked as if it was an actual paper and it is on NCS standards. It may be hard at first as you would feel like they give too much hw, but most of your revision is your hw (which is a lot) and it will help you. You will get used to it after a month.
4. School starts at 8:30am Monday to Friday and finishes at 3pm. Break is from 10:30 to 10:50 and lunch is from 1:10pm to 2pm Monday to Wednesday, except for Thursday when lunch is an 1h and 10 mins (20min extra). One good thing is that friday there is no period 5 which means you finish at 1pm.
5. We have around 300 students per year group
6. Brampton and LAE are also good.
7. Nah bro, i did combined science, it doesn't matter at all, just make sure to meet the entry requirement and get grade 89 and over. At the end is all about the total points your best 7 gcse's add up to. The higher the chance, the earlier your slot will be on results day, so you get enrolled before, as it is first come first serve. I got 71 or 72 points, which is pretty high, and my slot was from 9am to 11am, i went there around 11 and there was a massive queue with around like 300 people in front of me, i was allowed to jump the queue cause the headteacher came and took the students with higher points.

Ask me any more questions if you want to know more.

Yeah I have a question, do they have PE lessons there firstly and also if you have free periods what are you allowed to do in them? The fact you do 4 a levels (correct me but im pretty sure NCS makes you do 4 at the start) and you only get to leave school early on a Friday doesn't seem right Also what time does NCS finish on a normal school day
Reply 14
Original post by kk15405
Yeah I have a question, do they have PE lessons there firstly and also if you have free periods what are you allowed to do in them? The fact you do 4 a levels (correct me but im pretty sure NCS makes you do 4 at the start) and you only get to leave school early on a Friday doesn't seem right Also what time does NCS finish on a normal school day

Nah there's no PE lessons but there are some clubs that you can attend to do sports like football, basketball, tabletennis etc, but is currently down cuz of covid. Yh so you do have free periods but in these free periods you have something called private study, in that hour you can do hw, revision, etc. It is basically a hall in which there are other people and you sit on your desk and do your independent studies.

Everyone that does 4 A levels at the beginning, have like 3 private studies weekly on period 5, which is very useful for the hw they give. And if you drop a subject ( I dropped mine 3 weeks ago), you get 5 extra private study one each day, so basically i have 8 private studies right now, and I can get my work done easily.

On a normal school day you finish at 3pm.
i am also applying there. what would you say is a good average point score? and if u dont mind what did u get in gcses (for a rough idea)
for NCS, what is the style of teaching for Maths, Physics and Chemistry?
Original post by sabihaa06
i am also applying there. what would you say is a good average point score? and if u dont mind what did u get in gcses (for a rough idea)

at least 63 points overall in your top 8 GCSEs including maths english and science and you should be good generally. if you want to 100% secure a place id say 68%. not sure about an average point score, my average was 7.2 and i didn't get in.
thank u, my average score rn is 7.78, but with my predicted
Original post by sabihaa06
thank u, my average score rn is 7.78, but with my predicted

that should be fine as long as the subjects you want to do at a level you are at grade 8/9 in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending