The Student Room Group

I was given an offer of employment letter for an apprenticeship, should I sign it or

Not? I am applying for other roles that I may like more because they aren't male dominant and they are closer to home, with a lower wage but that's fine. The location for the one I have is easy to get to as well though.

Scroll to see replies

I start on 3rd April 2023 and I was hoping saying yes to the training provider gives me a lot of time to change my mind without signing anything, but on Friday they gave me documents and things to do to sign up and I need to make up my mind of whether to sign it or not, I was hoping I wouldn't commit to anything and I could go for interviews and see if I get one because it's not guaranteed that I will get one.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
You have to strike a balance between looking after you’re own interests and doing as you would be done by. It’s not unreasonable to ask you to sign for something starting in a couple of weeks. Perhaps read what you’re committing to by signing, to see what the situation is if something you prefer comes up and you want to leave. Or speak to the apprentice provider about your concerns on gender diversity and agree a latest decision date. I would also assess how much you want the apprenticeship and if you’re lukewarm let it go and keep hunting. Something else will come up
Original post by Zarek
You have to strike a balance between looking after you’re own interests and doing as you would be done by. It’s not unreasonable to ask you to sign for something starting in a couple of weeks. Perhaps read what you’re committing to by signing, to see what the situation is if something you prefer comes up and you want to leave. Or speak to the apprentice provider about your concerns on gender diversity and agree a latest decision date. I would also assess how much you want the apprenticeship and if you’re lukewarm let it go and keep hunting. Something else will come up

As it's a construction site it's going to be male dominated. They advertised for it to be in Aldgate but the site is not made so I have to go to a different site a bit more into the city and it's a push for me considering I only travel with only one bus and that's it but this requires 2 buses, still easy and the area seems safe.

The training provider said I can leave whenever I want, ideally give it a month and give my notice and leave. Sometimes I think what if I go there for a day and absolutely hate the environment (I am an administrator and it's not in an office) because of the male dominance and men making their wardrobes and kitchens in a different department what if I want to leave after a day? What if someone attacks me? I don't want to have to leave after a day because the training provider wastes their money on paying for the qualification when I didn't start it. The manager has made an adjustment for me and said I don't need to go to Kent like the other apprentices which speaks volumes.

I feel like I don't really want the apprenticeship because of male dominance and location for now in a different site but I can handle the new site it's just male dominance. Every job I apply for or every apprenticeship has its drawbacks and I look at other opportunities and think should I let this one go because these opportunities are better suited to me? Or should I keep it confirmed and hope something else comes up so I have something to go to? It's not guaranteed I will get the other apprenticeships I am interested in, I may not pass the interview.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Zarek

The training provider have already signed me up for the course without me signing anything and I am not even fully clear on the location of the new site, as 2 people from the training provider say one thing and the manager says another. They are close by to each other and I can get to both.
Reply 5
There’s no easy answer, trust your instincts and follow your heart.
Reply 6
Only you know how being in a male dominated environment will affect you, but it’s not always what you imagine it to be. I did my first graduate job in an industrial flour mill on a dock. I was the only female in a large team and often worked night shifts. The guys were great and really looked after me, helping when I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing and taking the blame when I made mistakes. It’s not because an industry is male dominated that the workforce is definitely sexist. Do what you feel is right for you but don’t write something off due to do preconceived ideas. Things are changing.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Euapp
Only you know how being in a male dominated environment will affect you, but it’s not always what you imagine it to be. I did my first graduate job in an industrial flour mill on a dock. I was the only female in a the team and often worked night shifts. The guys were great and really looked after me, helping when I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing and taking the blame when I made mistakes. It’s not because an industry is male dominated that the workforce is definitely sexist. Do what you feel is right for you but don’t write something off due to do preconceived ideas. Things are changing.

There is no office on the construction site so where would I be? At the reception desk? That's fine because as an administrator I am booking orders and speaking to customers, so surely that means customers are going to come in? I don't want it to be somewhere where no one comes in but by the looks of it people could visit or may not. At the same time it doesn't seem like that because I may not be on ground floor I may be on first floor or something so does that mean I speak to customers on the phone?

I was always immature in school and you could say I am now. People in their teens especially in secondary school get boyfriends/girlfriends, sit next to the opposite gender like it's nothing. Some people were like me, they didn't like sitting with boys. I only had crushes and I am always sick and can't fend for myself because of it so I didn't get a boyfriend and I used to turn away from boys and act like they aren't human in years 7 and 8, saying I am the only girl on the table and it embarrassed me etc. Boy girl boy girl order in mixed secondary schools used to make me feel awkward too. By year 9 I got used to it but it doesn't mean I accepted it.

I know that in male dominant trades they are encouraging women to join, but can you tell me if you know about any female dominated trades?
Original post by Euapp
Only you know how being in a male dominated environment will affect you, but it’s not always what you imagine it to be. I did my first graduate job in an industrial flour mill on a dock. I was the only female in a the team and often worked night shifts. The guys were great and really looked after me, helping when I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing and taking the blame when I made mistakes. It’s not because an industry is male dominated that the workforce is definitely sexist. Do what you feel is right for you but don’t write something off due to do preconceived ideas. Things are changing.

Things are changing but in my religion (Islam) we believe that things like murders and things will increase over time and eventually lead to the end of the world and judgement day. It just worries me. These things can happen anywhere of course.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Anony345533
There is no office on the construction site so where would I be? At the reception desk? That's fine because as an administrator I am booking orders and speaking to customers, so surely that means customers are going to come in? I don't want it to be somewhere where no one comes in but by the looks of it people could visit or may not. At the same time it doesn't seem like that because I may not be on ground floor I may be on first floor or something so does that mean I speak to customers on the phone?

I was always immature in school and you could say I am now. People in their teens especially in secondary school get boyfriends/girlfriends, sit next to the opposite gender like it's nothing. Some people were like me, they didn't like sitting with boys. I only had crushes and I am always sick and can't fend for myself because of it so I didn't get a boyfriend and I used to turn away from boys and act like they aren't human in years 7 and 8, saying I am the only girl on the table and it embarrassed me etc. Boy girl boy girl order in mixed secondary schools used to make me feel awkward too. By year 9 I got used to it but it doesn't mean I accepted it.

I know that in male dominant trades they are encouraging women to join, but can you tell me if you know about any female dominated trades?

Things are changing but in my religion (Islam) we believe that things like murders and things will increase over time and eventually lead to the end of the world and judgement day. It just worries me. These things can happen anywhere of course.

Only you know how you’ll be able to cope in this sort of environment. Either you will continue to feel ill at ease and you won’t thrive, or it might force you to move out of your comfort zone and make you more confident. It depends on the team in place and whether someone decides to take you under their wing. When I worked on the dock I was much younger than the guys working there. Some of them had daughters of my age which helped a lot as they treated me with the respect that they would wish for their child, and made sure that the others did the same.
Only you can choose.
As for industries or job roles dominated by women, they do exist. Nursing is normally female dominated, as is teaching, and the cosmetic industry.
Original post by Zarek
There’s no easy answer, trust your instincts and follow your heart.

I think there is a reason why I am so hesitant to sign the offer letter, because of my disability and not being able to read maps. The location seems easy to get to for normal people but for me I feel it isn't. My mum says it's easy to get to. I don't think it is so I basically have the highest possible chance of getting lost in the City of London because I can't even go to the nearest shop next to the local PFC let alone there. There are times when I can do it, and one time I went 3 stops on a bus and came home on my own, that's a big thing. I can't use train to get to central London because of my fear of stairs and escalators, the only way I can go is bus and with bus it's bloody hard going to get to the new site. If it's the other site in central London it's easier but there's a high possibility that it is where I think it is making my ability to travel there harder. I know I will get lost and my parents will call police, I will be declared missing after 24 hours, if my phone dies when I am outside then there is no way to contact me. Police will either find me or I will be raped and murdered outside.

There is a reason why I am so hesitant. It's not for me. I have applied for other roles and getting some interviews and they are in a much more convenient location. I only applied for the one I got confirmed because it is in Aldgate and I need to be picky about location because of my inability to travel, I wasn't expecting them to tell me to go to central London. I am not a normal person I need adjustments. They already said I don't need to go to Kent for 2/3 times per few months as I have the travelling issue but now it's getting to and from the actual site.

If I didn't have any reservations or I wasn't so hesitant I would happily take the job but I am just so worried so it's not for me.

I was stupid enough to tell job centre that I got something because an appointment clashes, so what I am going to do is say they rejected me, I thought I got it but I didn't. The only reason I told them was because I thought I was going to take it and not leave because they have my ID, but so far they only have my date of birth and NI number.
(edited 1 year ago)
I start on 3rd April 2023 and I was hoping saying yes to the training provider gives me a lot of time to change my mind without signing anything, but on Friday they gave me documents and things to do to sign up and I need to make up my mind of whether to sign it or not, I was hoping I wouldn't commit to anything and I could go for interviews and see if I get one because it's not guaranteed that I will get one.

Read the contract small print. It’ll say in there if there is a penalty to pay for quitting early. There shouldn’t be for an apprenticeship though. If there’s no penalty, then accept, send them paperwork and continue looking. If something better comes up then make your excuses and withdraw from the other role. Eg you could say i found another role I like more, or: I changed my mind and would like to withdraw, or the commute is not viable. Lots of reasons for withdrawing.
Original post by boulderingislife
Read the contract small print. It’ll say in there if there is a penalty to pay for quitting early. There shouldn’t be for an apprenticeship though. If there’s no penalty, then accept, send them paperwork and continue looking. If something better comes up then make your excuses and withdraw from the other role. Eg you could say i found another role I like more, or: I changed my mind and would like to withdraw, or the commute is not viable. Lots of reasons for withdrawing.

I haven't even received the contract, it's just a small letter like one document from the manager saying I have an offer of employment. Read what I said about travelling above if you have time.
I haven't even received the contract, it's just a small letter like one document from the manager saying I have an offer of employment. Read what I said about travelling above if you have time.

Ok just read it. In your case i would speak to the company and see if they can make adjustments to help you manage your disability. If they can and you’re happy with it, you can accept as per before. If they can’t then simple, quit. Then if job centre asks then tell them i tried to make it work but the company could not accommodate my disability.

And for future roles don’t bother applying if there’s something like this that wouldn’t work cos it’s not worth getting stressed over. I admit i’m guilty of applying for jobs I don’t want then i panic when i get offered them and i feel obliged to take them, but im gonna try harder to only apply for stuff i like now.

I hope this helps.
(edited 1 year ago)
Ok just read it. In your case i would speak to the company and see if they can make adjustments to help you manage your disability. If they can and you’re happy with it, you can accept as per before. If they can’t then simple, quit. Then if job centre asks then tell them i tried to make it work but the company could not accommodate my disability.

And for future roles don’t bother applying if there’s something like this that wouldn’t work cos it’s not worth getting stressed over. I admit i’m guilty of applying for jobs I don’t want then i panic when i get offered them and i feel obliged to take them, but im gonna try harder to only apply for stuff i like now.

I hope this helps.

I didn't know they wanted me to go to Kent until the interview stage. I also didn't know that they didn't make the Aldgate site yet. Why advertise it for Aldgate when the building is not made yet and will most likely be made next year?

I have to be quite close with my parents because of my disability and health problems so my mum tells me to tell them if the site is made in Aldgate then to contact me but obviously the job is going to go by then but I don't really care because it's male dominant and I probably won't feel comfortable working with mostly men.
I didn't know they wanted me to go to Kent until the interview stage. I also didn't know that they didn't make the Aldgate site yet. Why advertise it for Aldgate when the building is not made yet and will most likely be made next year?

I have to be quite close with my parents because of my disability and health problems so my mum tells me to tell them if the site is made in Aldgate then to contact me but obviously the job is going to go by then but I don't really care because it's male dominant and I probably won't feel comfortable working with mostly men.

Donno why they do it. Don’t worry about it. You don’t have to explain yourself to me or anyone else on here.

i had a job offer for london but when the contract came through it said welwyn. Really annoyed me. Luckily in the end they don’t make me to to welwyn. I do my office days in london. If the role sounds ok and only the location is an issue you could see by asking if this is something they can compromise on. If they can’t then it’s a non starter tbh, and you should just withdraw/reject them.
Donno why they do it. Don’t worry about it. You don’t have to explain yourself to me or anyone else on here.

i had a job offer for london but when the contract came through it said welwyn. Really annoyed me. Luckily in the end they don’t make me to to welwyn. I do my office days in london. If the role sounds ok and only the location is an issue you could see by asking if this is something they can compromise on. If they can’t then it’s a non starter tbh, and you should just withdraw/reject them.

They actually accommodated to my disability and they said the site I was thinking of is not the right address, they are saying Chiswell Street is in Aldgate, it's not. They combined both addresses and mixed it up. Aldgate is in E1. I know my postcodes even though I can't travel. They said that it's in E1 1ST but offer of employment says Aldgate and then Chiswell Street EC1Y. Even then, it's not in E1 1ST, because the location isn't even on the map as the building is not made. The training provider says Chiswell Street is near Aldgate Station and it's 20 minutes away checking from my house, Chiswell Street is 57 minutes away, Aldgate is roughly 20 minutes away. Then they realised after persisting a lot and speaking to 2 people about it, the manager and the training provider who doesn't live in London. They apologised and they said I don't need to go to Chiswell Street, I go to the other site that is easier to get to but also in central London but that was only a suggestion because they didn't want to delay my apprenticeship but now they said I don't need to go to that either and I can just go to the Aldgate site when it's built so I accepted.
(edited 1 year ago)
They actually accommodated to my disability and they said the site I was thinking of is not the right address, they are saying Chiswell Street is in Aldgate, it's not. They combined both addresses and mixed it up. Aldgate is in E1. I know my postcodes even though I can't travel. They said that it's in E1 1ST but offer of employment says Aldgate and then Chiswell Street EC1Y. Even then, it's not in E1 1ST, because the location isn't even on the map as the building is not made. The training provider says Chiswell Street is near Aldgate Station and it's 20 minutes away checking from my house, Chiswell Street is 57 minutes away, Aldgate is roughly 20 minutes away. Then they realised after persisting a lot and speaking to 2 people about it, the manager and the training provider who doesn't live in London. They apologised and they said I don't need to go to Chiswell Street, I go to the other site that is easier to get to but also in central London but that was only a suggestion because they didn't want to delay my apprenticeship but now they said I don't need to go to that either and I can just go to the Aldgate site when it's built so I accepted.

Good stuff! Glad you got it sorted! Now see what other offers you get if they are closer/better. If nothing else materialises at least u can do this one now! :smile:
Good stuff! Glad you got it sorted! Now see what other offers you get if they are closer/better. If nothing else materialises at least u can do this one now! :smile:

It turns out that the apprenticeship is too good to be true. As I suspected (though they keep saying it is starting on 3rd April 2023 and then revealed further details slowly about meeting my manager then they told me today that I have to go to City Road which is In central London, meeting my manager at the Aldgate tube station and for us to walk together to city road), the Aldgate building is not made yet. Are you kidding me?

The City Road site is still easy to get to and I would rather take 2 buses and walk 3 minutes than go with 1 bus to Aldgate and meet my male manager. I am a female.
(edited 1 year ago)
Honestly, I don't know how you're going to work in the construction field if you're this uncomfortable around men. My field of interest is also male-dominated, and I've been the only lady in a group in 98% of my social interactions. That comes with certain sectors of engineering or construction. It's not going to change for a very long time so I think you should eliminate such jobs from your search pool.

Have you gotten any other offers that suit your interest and aren't in male-dominated fields? I think a lot of jobs in the health field are becoming more and more female-dominated. Is that something you would like? Or you could go for IT jobs. They tend to have a good mix of men and women.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending