The Student Room Group

Choosing a career path

Good evening,
I am finishing my UGCert in Egyptology and have received two offers for a Master's starting this summer. One would be an MSc in Biomedical Egyptology, and the other would be an MA in Egyptology. I am very nervous about making a decision as I can't quite figure out what career opportunities would open up with either Master's. Initially, I started studying Egyptology to work in a museum afterwards. Still, it might be too hard to get into. I was thinking of taking a course in writing to work in the Journalistic field. Still, I think I would need to be more outgoing for this job. Can anyone advise me on other career opportunities I might still need to be aware of? I really need help with how to decide.
Original post by Lia998
Good evening,
I am finishing my UGCert in Egyptology and have received two offers for a Master's starting this summer. One would be an MSc in Biomedical Egyptology, and the other would be an MA in Egyptology. I am very nervous about making a decision as I can't quite figure out what career opportunities would open up with either Master's. Initially, I started studying Egyptology to work in a museum afterwards. Still, it might be too hard to get into. I was thinking of taking a course in writing to work in the Journalistic field. Still, I think I would need to be more outgoing for this job. Can anyone advise me on other career opportunities I might still need to be aware of? I really need help with how to decide.

Hi there, I am currently doing an MA in Egyptology. Where are the MA degrees? And what are you interested in, research-wise?
Reply 2
Original post by Sandtrooper
Hi there, I am currently doing an MA in Egyptology. Where are the MA degrees? And what are you interested in, research-wise?

Hi, Thank you for the reply and the PM. Both master’s are at Manchester. I feel like I would stand out more in the MSc since I am very good at biology, anatomy, medicine, etc. But I can imagine that an MA opens more doors for me. I am not yet sure about the research. What did you/will you choose?
Original post by Lia998
Hi, Thank you for the reply and the PM. Both master’s are at Manchester. I feel like I would stand out more in the MSc since I am very good at biology, anatomy, medicine, etc. But I can imagine that an MA opens more doors for me. I am not yet sure about the research. What did you/will you choose?

Personally I would take a look at what the alumni are doing on LinkedIn, but, on the whole, not that many Manchester MA graduates have gone on to do PhDs, although it is a relatively new course. I chose to do an MA and will be starting a PhD later this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending