The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham university rumours

Hi, I'm an international student from the EU and I've gotten offers from Durham and Exeter and wanted to know more about the student life there. I'm more inclined towards Durham because I really like the collegiate system and the town.
My question is, are all the rumours about Durham true or is it just getting a bad reputation online? I had heard about its prestige and its investment in sports as well, so I really love it on paper.
I was so so excited about my offer until I read some things online.
I come from a comfortable family but am in no way posh. I'm scared that there will be a strange social divide once I get there, which I am not used to at all. I gravitate towards down to earth people who are open, regardless of their social status or race.
Could anyone give their two cents on this, having been to Durham or heard loads about it from someone who attended the university? Thanks :smile:
Hi there! I have a fair number of friends from Durham who aren’t from particularly posh families, and I’ve only heard good things from them about the university so far!! They’re all international students and had no difficulty in settling in and making new friends with people from similar backgrounds as them. While there will definitely be some posh students at Durham, this is common for many other universities as well and I’m sure you’ll be able to find someone that you feel comfortable being friends with!! Don’t be too affected by what you see and read online, I’m sure Durham is an amazing university xx
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by meowzzi
Hi there! I have a fair number of friends from Durham who aren’t from particularly posh families, and I’ve only heard good things from them about the university so far!! They’re all international students and had no difficulty in settling in and making new friends with people from similar backgrounds as them. While there will definitely be some posh students at Durham, this is common for many other universities as well and I’m sure you’ll be able to find someone that you feel comfortable being friends with!! Don’t be too affected by what you see and read online, I’m sure Durham is an amazing university xx

Thank you so much for your response! That’s very reassuring:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm an international student from the EU and I've gotten offers from Durham and Exeter and wanted to know more about the student life there. I'm more inclined towards Durham because I really like the collegiate system and the town.
My question is, are all the rumours about Durham true or is it just getting a bad reputation online? I had heard about its prestige and its investment in sports as well, so I really love it on paper.
I come from a comfortable family but am in no way posh. I'm scared that there will be a strange social divide once I get there, which I am not used to at all. I gravitate towards down to earth people who are open, regardless of their social status or race.
Could anyone give their two cents on this, having been to Durham or heard loads about it from someone who attended the university? Thanks :smile:

Hi there

I know what dilemma you're experiencing, I went through the same when deciding whether or not to accept my offer with Durham. It's very true that negative experiences tend to get highlighted online more than positive ones and can be quite deceptive as to the overall picture. In my experience, not everyone at Durham is the way people are discussed to be, I have made some really good and down-to-earth friends irrespective of their background. The collegiate system really allows you to meet a large number of people in a more intimate setting compared to a non-collegiate university, so you have a higher chance of finding people you feel comfortable with. Yes ofc there are rude people as well, but I don't think that's something peculiar to Durham or any other place in the world for that matter. It can be a matter of luck sometimes who you come across but it's absolutely your decision who you want to keep around.

Hope that helps but feel free to ask more questions :h:

-Himieka
Original post by Anonymous

Definitely posher than many other UK unis, but I don't think there is a class divide by any means. You will make friends regardles of any variable factors - just put yourself out there!

Quick Reply

Latest