The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham - Finance BSc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brianstudy01
Hi there out of your a levels which did you find hardest and easiest in exam and revise and do well
Hey, I took Econ, Socio, Psych , and coming from someone who doesn't mind writing essays, I would say sociology has the easiest exam structure (to an extent) and Economics having the hardest exams.
Sociology is only the easiest exam because the exam technique and structure of essays are personally in less depth - however, it is the hardest out of the three to revise for as there is SO much content - despite it being relatively digestible.
Psychology is the hardest A-level out of those three, as there is more remembering of studies etc - however revision is the most fun and least tedious.
Economics is the easiest A-level for me as I'm most interested in it - plus alot of new material is based on the fundamentals of economics (e.g supply and demand, and its interaction).

Note, the subject material may be easy but the exams may be harder, vice versa - and it comes down to individual differences. (I don't recommend letting my opinion guide your decision)
Hope this helped!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hey, I took Econ, Socio, Psych , and coming from someone who doesn't mind writing essays, I would say sociology has the easiest exam structure (to an extent) and Economics having the hardest exams.
Sociology is only the easiest exam because the exam technique and structure of essays are personally in less depth - however, it is the hardest out of the three to revise for as there is SO much content - despite it being relatively digestible.
Psychology is the hardest A-level out of those three, as there is more remembering of studies etc - however revision is the most fun and least tedious.
Economics is the easiest A-level for me as I'm most interested in it - plus alot of new material is based on the fundamentals of economics (e.g supply and demand, and its interaction).

Note, the subject material may be easy but the exams may be harder, vice versa - and it comes down to individual differences. (I don't recommend letting my opinion guide your decision)
Hope this helped!
Which exam is the easiest
Which is harder out of sociology and psych then compare it to econ and also what are your gcse and examboard and grade thanks???

Hope this helped!
I’ve heard that psych has lesser content then sociologist btw how much psychologist theorists and sociologist have to learn if pick either compare it to what you do in econ need to know
Depends on alot of variables - they are all essay based so on par. For me the easiest was sociology. But only marginally if your aiming for A/A*
Depends on alot of variables - they are all essay based so on par. For me the easiest was sociology. But only marginally if your aiming for A/A*
Does it have more content then psych tho and thoughts on psych like say if had to pick your subjects again would you pick what you currently picked or change and what would you change it to and why thanks???
Does it have more content then psych tho and thoughts on psych like say if had to pick your subjects again would you pick what you currently picked or change and what would you change it to and why thanks???
Yeah, so I'd say if you were to systematically keep on top of work - the difference in difficulty will not be noticeable. However, I'd say Sociology is marginally easier as you moreso need to understand purely theory with a few studies (catchy ones for that fact-easier to remember), whereas in psych there is a lot of studies(majority not necessary to learn in great depth), which can be easy to mistake names for each other - if you didnt systematically revise like me.
I think if your considering which one - look at course syllabus- which do you find more interesting - makes ur revision and lessons better.

I'm looking to study finance next year. I would repick Mathematics, Economics and Psychology. (My college didnt offer Business). But for quantitative social sciences (even psychology) math at alevel is a helpful when applying.
Yeah, so I'd say if you were to systematically keep on top of work - the difference in difficulty will not be noticeable. However, I'd say Sociology is marginally easier as you moreso need to understand purely theory with a few studies (catchy ones for that fact-easier to remember), whereas in psych there is a lot of studies(majority not necessary to learn in great depth), which can be easy to mistake names for each other - if you didnt systematically revise like me.
I think if your considering which one - look at course syllabus- which do you find more interesting - makes ur revision and lessons better.

I'm looking to study finance next year. I would repick Mathematics, Economics and Psychology. (My college didnt offer Business). But for quantitative social sciences (even psychology) math at alevel is a helpful when applying.
So from what I said and you which do you think would suit better I don’t wanna memorise toons of names and cases wants a good way to do well and get good grades by understanding which will take time but if I am wanting to do something I am passionate ygm
So from what I said and you which do you think would suit better I don’t wanna memorise toons of names and cases wants a good way to do well and get good grades by understanding which will take time but if I am wanting to do something I am passionate ygm
And are you finding sociology easier then econ know you find psych hardest a level for you?
And are you finding sociology easier then econ know you find psych hardest a level for you?
I find econ easier, simply because I enjoy it the most. But most my friends who take both find sociology easier. Figure out what you enjoy the most by looking at the syllabus watching and reading the subject more. Let that guide ur decision, not smn else opinion.
what are you looking to study at uni? I was unsure in yr 11 n 12 tbf
I find econ easier, simply because I enjoy it the most. But most my friends who take both find sociology easier. Figure out what you enjoy the most by looking at the syllabus watching and reading the subject more. Let that guide ur decision, not smn else opinion.
Do they do aqa for econ and aqa for sociology and do they also do psych and find it harder then econ and sociology thanks??
I also dont take A-level Math (Econ, Socio, Psychology (A*A*A predicted)), and only got a GCSE 7 Math (mid GCSE's overall 777766555). I recently got an offer for bsc finance at Durham.
For anyone who is put off from applying owing to not taking A-level Maths or less competitive GCSE's, ensure you have a compelling personal statement which should make it fair game.
Hi, I also recently got an offer for durham undergrad, are you going to go there?, I am also currently not sure because I've got to weigh it up between warwick and exeter.

Quick Reply

Latest