The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham shared rooms

What does it mean by ‘shared rooms’? Does this mean I will share an actual bedroom with someone else? Very off putting if so !
Original post by Anonymous
What does it mean by ‘shared rooms’? Does this mean I will share an actual bedroom with someone else? Very off putting if so !

Yes, some colleges have shared rooms meaning that you could share a room with someone else
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Most people who share a room do end up liking the experience though. It means you have a built in friend (especially in those first weeks) to go to eat with or attend events.

If the thought is too horrendous though, some of the newer colleges would be the ones to go for because they tend to have fewer shared rooms.

Hiya

It does mean you will be sharing an actual bedroom with someone else i.e., two beds in the same room. You will each have your own study desks, cupboards and sinks as well. Here's a video of a shared room in Cuths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qazKObV54DM

It can actually be a quite nice experience as you already have a buddy to hangout with at meals or during freshers. You will be asked to fill up a form telling your preferences and your daily habits and the college will match you with the person who shares the most similar characteristics with you. I know @ajl1972's son has liked his experience of a shared room at Trevs as well. Hopefully, she can tell you some more about it to put you at ease.

Also here is a blog by Amy sharing her experience of a shared room at Grey: https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/let-me-tell-you-about-grey/ and this one by Rosie: https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/whats-it-like-sharing-a-college-room-2/ :smile:

-Himieka
Reply 4

Hi , I have been mentioned, as my son shares a room in Trevs, and he has found it a positive experience. Yes you do share a actual room. My son initially did not want to share a room, however at the offer holders day, numerous students were singing the praises of room sharing, and he was kind of won around. Before he arrived at Trevs, he filled in a questionnaire asking how much he wanted to share a room, 1 not at all, or 6 really wanted to. He put 5 as did most of the others sharing at Trevs. My son is in one of the refurbished rooms in Trevs, and the new design is perfect as there is a small dividing wall in the middle and the beds are back to back against this stud wall. There is a sink on 1 side of the room. They ask you what you are looking for in a room mate, and what time you go to bed and get up so you can be matched. The lad my son shares with is doing a completely different course and they have different interests, but they get on very well, and importantly go to bed and get up at similar times. My son is quite introverted, and honestly sharing a room has really helped him come out of his shell. He had a ready made buddy in freshers week for the events, and someone to go to meals with. Many of the friends he has made have been through his room mate, and I honestly don't think he would have as many friends had he not shared a room. He hasn't felt lonely like my other son did at uni. He and his room mate do give each other space, and they do have alone time when one of them is at lectures or out at clubs and societies. Honestly don't rule it out!
Thank you for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest