The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 1
Fran Katzenjammer
I've applied to do English without knowing too much about the uni, except that I've seen some great pictures, student satisfaction is high, it's going up in the league tables and it's good for English.

If you're a student there, what do you like about it? How's the atmosphere? The entertainment? The campus? The architecture? The teaching?

Hi.

I'm studying a different subject but my experience at Leicester has been fantastic really. The atmosphere is brilliant if you are looking for a campus university with the close welcoming feel.

Although the student village is 20 minutes away from the bus. You'll find that this creates a bubble effect which is handy for meeting people in your area (It helps that there are bars closeby, even if you don't drink.) I get the impression that those who live close by to the university mostly meet people through their course or through societies, the options are much more limited.

Meeting friends has definitely contributed a large percentage to how much I'm enjoying university life, and many seem to agree with me. I guess this is why Leicester has such a high student satisfaction rate.

If it helps - I was catered. The food isn't terrible, although I suppose that depends on how high your standards are. What would you aim for? Self-catered?

Moving onto the more objective stuff.
Campus - Most things are within 5 minute walking distance. You'll mostly use the Library, the student shop and where you study. There are places to eat cooked food but I find these places rather costly apart from the breakfast maybe (It's not something you want to be doing everyday.)

Come give Leicester a visit. You'll get the feel for the place and know whether it's for you. My first time visiting Leicester was...

"Some outskirts of the town look a little run down however I can see myself studying here in this department"

You aren't really going to be visiting those part of the towns that often though, most of the bars and stuff are either at the university or the town central which has been improved much since my first impression. I don't actually know too much about the bar/clubbing scene since I'm not into that sort of thing but yeah... still had a brilliant social time :yep:

Hope that answers most of the questions.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Thanks for your input :smile:
I'd like self-catered, and I'm not into bars or clubbing either.
Reply 3
Leicester university is the best thing to ever happen to me
Reply 4
Usman938
Leicester university is the best thing to ever happen to me

really?! in what way? I want to go their next year btw. :biggrin:
Reply 5
You know Hell? All those descriptions of fiery torment?

Based on Leicester.
Reply 6
punktopia
You know Hell? All those descriptions of fiery torment?

Based on Leicester.

If you have nothing constructive to add, please show yourself out of this forum.
Reply 7
trm90
If you have nothing constructive to add, please show yourself out of this forum.

If it saves some innocent soul from wandering into Leicester, it's constructive. And I'm being serious.
Reply 8
punktopia
If it saves some innocent soul from wandering into Leicester, it's constructive. And I'm being serious.

Suit yourself, I suppose it's the applicant's fault that they'd be foolish enough to listen to the opinion of a pessimistic man who hasn't even been a student at Leicester.

Also:

Where else other than TSR will you find an anonymous, borderline psychopathic neg rep? :top:
Oh, they only hate Leicester because they live there.
I have a friend who described Sheffield as the "seventh circle of hell", (grew up there) whereas I thought it was fine.
Reply 10
university life at leicester is like a surreal dream on the borderline of heaven
Reply 11
Usman938
university life at leicester is like a surreal dream on the borderline of heaven

hey :biggrin:

what makes you say this :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have an offer, and I might take it over Queen Mary UoL :biggrin:
find Jonah Ramone/ JR
he should be in chat somewhere
hes an english student at Leicester, he'll tell you all about it
Reply 13
Yeah the actual Uni Life here is pretty great.
will1989
really?! in what way? I want to go their next year btw. :biggrin:

Oh you get 72 virgins on arrival...

Oh wait wrong prospectus.

The only thing the Uni is lacking is a place to eat your sodding sandwiches from the shop. The new SU building revamp should take care of that.

Latest

Trending

Trending