The Student Room Group

What is a High 2:1?

I'm currently preparing for my postrgrad applications and the High 2:1 requirements are really confusing me.

This is because my uni, LSE, awards degree classification based on the five highest scored modules throughout the course.

If I only take the highest five modules into account my average is 69% while my overall average is 63%.

It does make sense to take all modules into account but on the other hand you can technically still get a first degree at LSE with an overall aveage of 52.5%. (i.e. (70*5+40*7)/12=52.5%)

Also, LSE does not indicate overall average on the final transcript.

In this case, what will be considered as my average percentage?

Oxbridge, LSE, ICL, UCL, LBS all require at least a high 2:1 and I am not sure how confident I should be with my grades when applying to these top tier postgrad courses. :frown:

Please Help!
(edited 9 months ago)
Depends on the method used by the uni you are applying to.

Some will just go with whatever overall mark is on the transcript, (as you note, not al UK unis state one), others will average your year 2 & 3 marks as that is consistent with how other unis classify.

It's worth picking up the phone to Master's recruitment teams as it is a common question. Or if you are not in a rush, email :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending