The Student Room Group

Suspending study

Hi,
I’m not 100% sure where to post this. But earlier this month on the 3rd November, my Grandma passed away. I’m presently doing a Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling and due to the level of introspection it requires, I don’t feel I am in the right headspace for the course.

I know when my maternal Grandma passed I was doing my Level 3 and I tried to push through, but my tutor at the time strongly advised I take a break in study. I did eventually concede it was for the best. This time I decided I wouldn’t fight it and just accept I’m not going to be in the right headspace. Especially when this year I need to consider I will be doing a placement with real clients so it isn’t just my mental wellbeing on the line.

I emailed my tutor and course leader on the 4th November. The course leader got in touch to say it would take 3-5 days to get back to me regarding my request, as he needs to pass it through the curriculum manager.

A week later I’d still heard nothing so emailed and he basically said, he was still waiting on the curriculum manager and would email when he hears back.

We’re now approaching 3 weeks on and additionally, my Advance Learner Loan that pays tuition to the college monthly is still paying out increasing my student debt for a course I presently wish to take a break from.

What should I do about this? I simply want to take a break in study and return next year when I am in a better headspace. And considering I was encouraged to take a break in study like this when my first Grandma passed, I thought they’d be especially understanding when I would have clients this year so wouldn’t just be putting my own mental health at risk.

My college seems to be dragging its heels on my request by not actually really dealing with my request though.

What should I do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending