The Student Room Group

Is taking a gap year acceptable?

I'm taking a gap year, and possibly applying to Oxford depending on my final A-level grades. Just wondering whether having a gap year is okay when applying to Oxford or Cambridge (if you use the time well and aren't applying for maths). Is there anyone on here who applied to either university after A-levels? Will it increase or decrease an applicant's chances, or does it not make any difference?
i applied for deffered and got in.

as long as your using your gap year to do something constructive, and obviously if you are applying post a'level, they will expect you to have a better understanding of the subject that if you were applying before you had finished them
Reply 2
Yes
Reply 3
didgeridoo12uk
i applied for deffered and got in.

as long as your using your gap year to do something constructive, and obviously if you are applying post a'level, they will expect you to have a better understanding of the subject that if you were applying before you had finished them

That's cool, well done for getting in. Thing is, since I'm not applying for deferred entry, do you think they'll question me as to why I haven't applied this year for deferred? It's mainly because I just want to see what my A-level grades are before applying to university, but I hope they don't see this as me trying to 'play the system' or something.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the information.
SylverStrike
That's cool, well done for getting in. Thing is, since I'm not applying for deferred entry, do you think they'll question me as to why I haven't applied this year for deferred? It's mainly because I just want to see what my A-level grades are before applying to university, but I hope they don't see this as me trying to 'play the system' or something.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the information.

just make something up like saying you weren't sure which subject to apply to last year, so wanted to take a gap year to explore different options and help you decide, or something along them lines... i have no clue tbh, someone else is bound to come up with something good though
Reply 5
didgeridoo12uk
just make something up like saying you weren't sure which subject to apply to last year, so wanted to take a gap year to explore different options and help you decide, or something along them lines... i have no clue tbh, someone else is bound to come up with something good though

Okay, thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 6
My boyfriend is on a gap year now with no real reason to be and he's just returned from his Cambridge interview - they clearly don't care if you take one! and he's just bumming around!
i dropped out and now im on a gap year working for sainsburys which ill tell the unis
Reply 8
Yes.
Reply 9
Nina
Yes.

This.

Latest

Trending

Trending