The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Agneisse
So you're a girl (I think they're single-sex on sharing), keen on sharing, and a biologist who should hopefully be going to lectures and more hardworking than me. Assuming I go to Durham, we should share. Or at least be neighbours. At the bare minimum you must come around and bang my door down to drag me to lectures :biggrin:

Haha! Don't count on it! Although yes I do intend to go to lectures...!
It would definitely be cool to share with someone I've already met and spoken to though!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
N1c
Hey guys, I can get some pictures of my moatside room if that's of any use to you?

Unfortunately I don't live in the castle :smile:

That would be great, thank you!!! :biggrin: Any college related pictures would be useful/interesting really
Reply 62
http://s523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/faceman6/durham/

There's a few pics of castle, but I don't really have many of just rooms. The cartoon is sposed to be a moatside room (they're pretty small, but have loads of storage and the block is a really social place).

RE: Sharing. About 1/3 of freshers will probably share, with probably about half of those getting to be in the castle, if not a bit more. No fresher will get a single room in Castle. You'd be surprised how many people actually want to share so if you really don't and specify it on the form then u should be fine. If u do have to share then you can opt to move out to a single after the first term. If u don't share in 1st term then u could potentially have to share for the last 2 terms, but realistically this very rarely happens and if it does then u'll probably get the choice of who to share with. If roommates really don't get on then u can speak to the college and they will try to move u out if there's space. I warn u tho, college next year is at full capacity. They are even having to ask some people who want to live back in to live out next year cos they've already allocated fresher numbers that they have to keep available, so I doubt there will be any empty rooms knocking about.
Reply 63
I don't go to durham uni (a local) however i wandered into here by avoiding exam revision and work at the castle during vacation time (its a bed and breakfast using the student rooms) and just thought id share the little info i know (its not in regard to being a durham/university collage student though so others will know more about this)

Most of the rooms in the castle that are used for students are in the keep (if you look in pictures its the "towery" bit on the hill) Id say there about half and half single and twin (although iv heard something about 3rd years picking their rooms before freshers get placed?) It can get quite high up there and i personally would hate to move in/out (were taking over 150 steps to the top) but they do have fantastic views. The twin rooms are quite a bit bigger generally than the single and have more than enough room for two. The bar looks really cool (its recently been renovated) I don't know how it works in term time but "Hall stairs" (the H rooms although there are only about 14) it seems there are no showers in the female toilets which i think is really weird (but for all i know it is all male/the signs are ignore lol)
Oh go visit if you want a look at easter or the summer (£28.50 single or £51 per room twin) but remember they may but you in rooms that arn't genaral student rooms (eg norman gallery) if you phone ask for fresher rooms. Owengate is just off saddler st going up to palace green and baily court is just behind the cool 3 storey georgian house on palace green. It has a weird system of the stairs are outside so each of the corridoors you have to go outside to go to a differnt floor.

Laura xx
Reply 64
If I was to copy the Trevs thread and create a facebook group for prospective Castle freshers, would anyone else be up for joining it (or would I be left on my own.... :erm:)

That way people who don't use TSR could meet and chat?
im in!!!!! haha we are way too keen you know!
Reply 66
I think creating such a facebook group is a good idea and I would definitely join it.
(If I'm allowed to do so although not being totally sure whether to choose Durham as my firm...)
Reply 67
Awesome, I shall do it then :biggrin:
Reply 68
Ok, I just went to do it..... but what should I call it?! :s-smilie:
"Castle Freshers 2009" or "University College Durham Freshers 2009"
The first is friendlier but the second is more accurate and so more likely to appear when someone searches for it.....

Dilemma......:dontknow:
Reply 69
Hey guys, sorry I haven't followed up with any photos. Assignment has been due in and I've been busy and my rooms a tip, if you make a facebook group give me a shout and I'll join and add some photos :smile:
Otherwise I'll get on with tidying my room and get you a link :smile:
Reply 70
Tallulah G
Ok, I just went to do it..... but what should I call it?! :s-smilie:
"Castle Freshers 2009" or "University College Durham Freshers 2009"
The first is friendlier but the second is more accurate and so more likely to appear when someone searches for it.....

Dilemma......:dontknow:

Castle! UC-D sounds stuffy =/ Besides, I'm sure people would try both combinations, it's what I'd do :biggrin:
Reply 71
It is done... voila!

Join away :smile: (Please don't leave me on my own!)
Reply 72
N1c
Hey guys, sorry I haven't followed up with any photos. Assignment has been due in and I've been busy and my rooms a tip, if you make a facebook group give me a shout and I'll join and add some photos :smile:
Otherwise I'll get on with tidying my room and get you a link :smile:

That's ok! Thank you for even offering!! :smile: The link's in my above post for whenever you get a chance

PS. your room can't be nearly as tippish as mine so don't worry!!!!!
Reply 73
I know this wasn't particularly far down the page but I feel like giving it a bit of a bump.... I got my open day confirmation today :woo: so excited!!!

Anyone else got Castle offers recently?
Reply 74
Hey all,

Got my offer from Castle about a month ago now, applied with my grades so I have an unconditional to study Law there.

Definitely plan on taking it! It looks absolutely beautiful!
Reply 75
Cool which open day are you planning to go to ??
and i have joined the facebook group so can everyone else join too so it seems a decent size LOL i think there are only about 7 members at the moment. :smile:
w4edrft7gyhuijkolplmnhbgv I WANNA GO NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

*cough*
errrr
my bad
Reply 77
piiineapple
w4edrft7gyhuijkolplmnhbgv I WANNA GO NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

*cough*
errrr
my bad

Haha!! I know that feeling!
At least you're still at college so have things to do - I'm an umemployed gap year student with no money and nothing to do but sit on the internet all day memorising the Durham website, thereby making myself even more desperate to be there right now!!
Reply 78
so.. you guys actually live IN the castle?!?!? :eek:
Reply 79
emioly
so.. you guys actually live IN the castle?!?!? :eek:

If we're lucky!!
Lol, but probably not - most of the accomodation is in buildings just outside the castle

Latest