The Student Room Group

Psychology related work-experience

I know that Psychology degrees are fairly common, and so getting a job afterwards in the area of psychology can be pretty competitive!

Does anyone know what work experience I can do in my Gap Year, that would be beneficial in aiming towards a psychology career? With only my A Levels (hopefully AAB), what jobs would I be able to do?

Is anyone actually on a gap year (or took one) that was intended to help with a psychology related degree?

Reply 1
Well, I'm still in school- not quite at the gap year point yet. However, I come from a family of psych professors and I plan to work in the psych feild myself one fine day. :biggrin:

It really depends what kind of Psychology you want to work with. For example, if you want to do research working as an intern for a Psych professor at a good University can be useful. Some professors even have summer research plans where they work with interns to conduct research. By the end of the summer you have a co-published study under your belt! But usually as an intern, you don't get to do much of the fun stuff. It usually involves sorting papers and getting coffee- but you learn a suprising amount from being a fly on the wall and if you intern at the right places, it can look really good on paper.

Latest