The Student Room Group
i may be talking a load of ******** but unpaid could show you're genuinely interested?
Reply 2
A top 15 firm like RSM Bentley Jennison should be paying you to be honest. Disgrace if your not - you have finished your first year of uni not doing GCSEs. However experience is experience. Would say if your interested in doing accounting after uni, having relevant would look more favorable than not. Guess therefore depends how important earning money during the summer is to you.
FHM
A top 15 firm like RSM Bentley Jennison should be paying you to be honest. Disgrace if your not - you have finished your first year of uni not doing GCSEs. However experience is experience. Would say if your interested in doing accounting after uni, having relevant would look more favorable than not. Guess therefore depends how important earning money during the summer is to you.

It isn't that important to be honest. Thing is there is no guarantee I will get a temp job in the City. Basically I did an internship at a bank this easter and am on good terms with the HR person, so she gave me contacts of few recruitment consultants in the City she has a good relationship with. She said just drop them an email to the consultants after you finish your first year exams and they should be able to sort you out with something. Oh yeah this RSM internship is not in this country so it will cost about 1.5 grand for accommodation/transport/food during the 10 weeks.
Reply 4
Well if the money is not important, go with RSM as it is certain rather than trying to get temp work in an already saturated market - you would be competing with people with more experience that are prepared to accept junior roles. Plus recruitment consultants can promise the earth but often deliver very little.
FHM
Well if the money is not important, go with RSM as it is certain rather than trying to get temp work in an already saturated market - you would be competing with people with more experience that are prepared to accept junior roles. Plus recruitment consultants can promise the earth but often deliver very little.

RSM is quite a decent accounting firm right? I dont think they are big in this country but in certain countries like singapore they are the biggest after the big 4. Do you think the hassle of going abroad - living in an unknown country as well as not knowning the language is worth it? Would the RSM brand really look pretty impressive on the CV (obviously less impressive than the top 7 UK accounting firms).
Reply 6
Outwith accounting, they would be fairly unknown. However RSM would certainly be known by everyone you potentially would interview at the big4. Also to be honest working abroad in an unknown country would certainly be very impressive. Certainly more impressive that just working in a regional office in your home city. Go for it!!!
FHM
Outwith accounting, they would be fairly unknown. However RSM would certainly be known by everyone you potentially would interview at the big4. Also to be honest working abroad in an unknown country would certainly be very impressive. Certainly more impressive that just working in a regional office in your home city. Go for it!!!

Wow, I find that really shocking! :eek: I thought getting an internship in London was more impressive than getting one in an unknown non english speaking country (as in first language)?
Reply 8
Can you do a bit of both? If not I guess do the RSM one as long as the lack of income won't be a problem.
Reply 9
me personally i would go for paid..
BJP
Can you do a bit of both? If not I guess do the RSM one as long as the lack of income won't be a problem.

Nah man RSM said a minimum of 8/10 weeks or nothing. :frown:
Reply 11
Yeah it is, but getting the temp role is uncertain - even then, you might only be doing data input. Obviously a big4 internship in London would be better, but that was not what I was comparing it to.
Reply 12
prospectivEEconomist
Nah man RSM said a minimum of 8/10 weeks or nothing. :frown:

ohh :frown:
i guess you can work some nights at Tesco or something to get 'drinking money' etc. if you need it ??
FHM
Yeah it is, but getting the temp role is uncertain - even then, you might only be doing data input. Obviously a big4 internship in London would be better, but that was not what I was comparing it to.

Yeah thats what I thought. And I could always do some paid work in the summer after year 2 of university. Could I ask if you are working in an accounting firm at the moment mate?
Reply 14
Not yet, last year of uni - start pwc in September.

Good luck!
FHM
Not yet, last year of uni - start pwc in September.

Good luck!

Holy fu** thats amazing dude, well done. I dream of being in that position in my final year! Do you think a firm like PWC would appreciate an internship at RSM done in a foreign country? Thanks
Reply 16
lol, not that amazing mate. Yeah, the big4 would def be impressed with someone that has relevant experience but has also shown the initiative and courage to work abroad to broaden their horizons.

Latest

Trending

Trending