The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

How leanient is Cardiff Uni with grades?

Okay, I have an offer for Cardiff Uni Journalism, Media and Social Policy for ABB in September. It's the least applied for out of the journalism courses and I'm sure it's what I want to do. I do R.E/Philosophy, Drama and Politics, I'm thinking that I can get an AAC/AAD/ABC - how leanient would they be with letting me in?

I'm really struggling with politics, if turned down on the day would it make any difference if I told them I would of had work exp with the BBC this summer and I was also offered a 4 week paid placement in London with Now magazine based on my writing style shown in my blog (and previous school achievements) but with no other work exp? (P.S the only reason I won't be taking this up is because I don't have the finance availiable atm but will hopefully be doing so next year.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Kate
Reply 1
plzzzzzzzzzzz
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
???
Cardiff are very lenient, but only if they have room for you. If their course is full they won't be able to give you a place, but at first they won't be sure because they'll need to wait for the people who put them as insurance to be rejected because they've got their firm. Basically, ring up as soon as you know your grades, make your case, then you'll be put on a waiting list in which your position will depend on what grades you got. If not, you might be offered an alternative course from the same department or a deferred place.
Reply 4
RightSaidJames
Cardiff are very lenient, but only if they have room for you. If their course is full they won't be able to give you a place, but at first they won't be sure because they'll need to wait for the people who put them as insurance to be rejected because they've got their firm. Basically, ring up as soon as you know your grades, make your case, then you'll be put on a waiting list in which your position will depend on what grades you got. If not, you might be offered an alternative course from the same department or a deferred place.

Thankyou! :smile: Fingers crossed! My insurance is Social Policy in Cardiff too lol.
Reply 5
I'm a 2nd year journalism student, I think Cardiff in general are quite leanient - but journalism courses across the country are very competitive and I haven't met anyone here with lower then ABB - although some people have AAC for example, Good luck.
Reply 6
raziell
I'm a 2nd year journalism student, I think Cardiff in general are quite leanient - but journalism courses across the country are very competitive and I haven't met anyone here with lower then ABB - although some people have AAC for example, Good luck.

Ahh youve scared me now! Where are the revision books! Haha. Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Katieloula
Ahh youve scared me now! Where are the revision books! Haha. Thanks :smile:

People don't generally discuss grades, im sure some of them got in with lower then the requirements - you'd probably have a good shot with BBB/ABC. No problem :smile:.
Reply 8
Just out of interest, how competitive are the business related courses? I'm in a similar situation to Katieloula. My predicted grades were ABC, yet Cardiff gave me an offer of ABB. So, I think I've seriously messed up my English Lit, so I'm looking at either AAC or ABC. I'm hoping I still have a chance of getting in! I'm going to be such an emotional wreck the night before results come out :s-smilie:

Ps. Katieloula - If you don't mind me asking, what's your blog like?! I've always been interested in things like that i.e. blogging etc.
Reply 9
Wondering the same thing... Put Cardiff as my insurance, and need ABB for business management.
I'm pretty sure i'll get it, but just in case i'm wondering this...
Reply 10
Just been looking at some of threads in here, an awful lot of people have applied for Business Management.I have too!
In a way this is good cause I can meet lots of different people but a little scared at the same time cause it just shows how competitive the course is!
Anyone already in Cardiff uni had an experience where they got a little less than their offer but still got in??I am predicted ABB but I think I will get either ABC or ACC!
Let me put it this way; if you miss your offer, it's quite likely you won't get a place. Not because that's their policy, but because there probably won't be room. Furthermore, until results day no one, not even Cardiff, will have a clue what the likelihood of there being spare places is, so speculating about it is rather pointless.
I was asking the exact same question. I've applied to do Sociology and I've been asked to get BBB. However, I looked on UCAS Extra and there are still spaces on there for Sociology. Does this mean they'll be more leniant with my grades?
lady_leon
I was asking the exact same question. I've applied to do Sociology and I've been asked to get BBB. However, I looked on UCAS Extra and there are still spaces on there for Sociology. Does this mean they'll be more leniant with my grades?

Maybe, but it's possible that the listings are out of date or will be filled by Results' day.
Maybe. But I've heard Cardiff is most recognised for the business/science students - so I don't think Sociology is particularly popular there.
Reply 15
lady_leon
Maybe. But I've heard Cardiff is most recognised for the business/science students - so I don't think Sociology is particularly popular there.

It came top for social sciences in the UK last year they said at the open day. A woman said to my mum at the open day that crimonology is the flavour of the year atm, and so that will be v competitive. Thankfully she said they havent had many applicants for social policy so i have a good chance of getting in with lower grades than even BBB! Soc Pol on its own is my insurance, maybe if u get turned down for sociology you could ask for an alternative course, btw how do you view extra on ucas?
Reply 16
I'm in a similar boat- Cardiff is my only and firm offer, I was predicted AAB, yet my offer for economics is AAA, if I get my predicted AAb are they going to reject me? I do hope not as I'm majorly excited about the Uni and the city. AAAAaaarrrhhh this system is horrible.
Reply 17
I also applied for Journalism, but the media and film one, which is also ABB and i think i will get BBB so im in a similar boat...worried times
Hey Katie,

I'm literally exactly in your position today, could you let me know how it went for you? Did you get in?

Thanks
Original post by livvyveale
Hey Katie,

I'm literally exactly in your position today, could you let me know how it went for you? Did you get in?

Thanks

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for reply: she hasn't logged in for more than four years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending