The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
1001 Chiko
I went all out and said "...I find it impossible to see myself as anything but a doctor." Picked up in interview at Newcastle and after a bit of brief explanation they seemed happy. Edinburgh and Aberdeen had both sent me offers by Christmas. Seems to be acceptable.

Precisely my point. You can have a personal pefect career - some people may see being an artist perfect, but then it will always have it's drawbacks, like being an artist may be an unreliable source of income sometimes. Some of the points I put were also picked up on at interviews, it seems a good idea to be enthusiastic.
I'm very much with ferret here.

Who said personal statements had to be realistic though? Delusion and lies will take you further.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Won't they think "Ahh, so she was never that dedicated to medicine if she didn't expect work experience to inspire her..." They might think I was doing medicine for the sake of it and changed my mind after work experience?

I talked about how my work experience confirmed that I wanted to study Medicine. All it shows is that you were realistic and have made your decision for logical reasons.

To say you've wanted to do Medicine since you were 5 and nothing will ever change that simply shows that you haven't given enough thought into your future, as at age 5 you had a very different grasp on the world.

Therefore, it can only be a positive if you can show why you have now applied for medicine, rather than some vague distorted ideal you hold.
It doesn't sound nice, which will go against you, even though I believe it's incredibly harsh to judge people based on that.
Reply 25
I'm going as far as I can to avoid the word "passion," afterall its a personal statement, not a Mills & Boon novel :o:
Reply 26
Perfect career...makes me cringe a bit. It's inviting them to make you pick medcine apart until you realise that it isn't perfect.
1001 Chiko
Sod DoE. I know loads of people, myself included, who had easy conditionals or unconditionals without it. To me it stinks of going into medicine for the wrong reasons and are spoonfed the entire way through admissions.

Unless you just did DofE for the fun of it? I do agree though, it is in no way a necessity although I'd recommed doing it to anyone because it's great fun :biggrin:

OP, I'd go with Chiko's wording of what you were trying to say, or something similar to that.

Latest

Trending

Trending