The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

I was just wondering what your opinions are on this issue, because I'm sure most of us have experienced students who plain and simple aren't interested in learning and so stop everyone else from learning. I mean personally I think if someone doesnt want to learn and has demonstrated this fact they should be taken out of education as they're a detriment to people who want to learn. Although I do see that there may be some issues with this.

Anyway I was wondering what other students opinions were.

Scroll to see replies

Nothing should be done! You have to learn to deal with people, to not expect everything to be perfect and sterile. :h:

What I'm saying is, nothing further should be done. People who really do have detrimental impact on students education are punished. You'll just have to learn to deal with those who are merely annoying because they chat and may be inclined to pissing about. :u:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Expulsion - no need to educate people who don't want to be, its a waste of time and is detrimental to others learning
Maybe put them in a differently orientated school, different environment where they can learn instead.
Reply 4
if they don't want to learn do they really deserve to live?
Original post by Reml
Expulsion - no need to educate people who don't want to be, its a waste of time and is detrimental to others learning

Extreme but very very logical.
I hate people that are ignorant of this privilege
Reply 6
I don't really understand why people put up with it. I often find 'can you shut up please, I'm trying to learn' works quite well.

Why they are there is another story....
Reply 7
I'm looking forward to going to the new sixth form college being built for year 13. I'm at the sixth form at my old high school plus another. But the other school has good teachers (well mine are) but kids from rough areas (well rough for suffolk) and we're always getting disruptive lower school kids being put in our lessons.

One time one of them was nearly crying and promised to behave herself because they were scared of us sixth formers and didn't want to come inot our classroom especially seeing as we had bunsen burners and chemicals out.
Reply 8
Make them sit in the 'naughty corner' wearing a Dunce cap
Reply 9
Original post by zazamak
Extreme but very very logical.
I hate people that are ignorant of this privilege

Privilege? When i walk past the bottom, bottom set of science GCSE, it sounds soooooooooooooooooooooo boring. If i was in their position, all i would do is mess about!

I hated school education untill gcse/sixth form.
Education is a privilege, not a right. If you can't behave yourself like a civilised human being then why should you gain the privilege of education?

We worry far too much in this society about helping the"poor little darlings" who can't/won't behave themselves. Lets concentrate on helping the people that actually want to help themselves instead.
Reply 11
Inspire them. Find out why they're disruptive, 9/10 it'll be because they're bored. In which case, because I think my subject is pretty fundamental to them I would get them to see why it's important and teach them the fun/interesting bits. If I taught a subject that I didn't see a point in for them then I'd tell them to shut up and get on with something else in the corner, then do fun stuff with the rest. If there's another reason they're kicking off then I'd help them figure it out/point them in the direction of people that can.
Reply 12
I think it depends on the age group really.

I know the younger years for example Year 1....a simple threat to remove their break from them or their lunch is enough to make them quieten down and listen. If they're persistent in being disruptive them sending them to another class normally does the trick because they come back realising it's best to learn with their class rather than sit at the back of a strange one isolated!
Original post by Reml

A good idea, but schools will not do this as they spend funding right up to what they get for the last pupil.

What they need to do is stream them, right from Year 8 (people like this never change) into their own form and should be taught seperately in every subject. They should get all of the rubbish teachers, freeing up the good ones for those who want to learn.
Original post by d4nny
A good idea, but schools will not do this as they spend funding right up to what they get for the last pupil.

What they need to do is stream them, right from Year 8 (people like this never change) into their own form and should be taught seperately in every subject. They should get all of the rubbish teachers, freeing up the good ones for those who want to learn.

What elitist bull****

Some kids mess about because they just don't understand the lessons. Giving these kids **** teachers will be detrimental.
Obviously TSR is full of the geeks who don't have much fun in school and went to learn. I used to be a **** student and I think the best thing to do to people like that is put in isolation and force them to do work.
Let their parents know as well.
Expulsion is a ridiculous idea as all that does is add one more person to the line of uneducated masses Britain already has.
Slap around the face with a dead rat - see who carries on talking after that.
Thing is, it holds back the rest of the class. Either way, it's harming other students' learning.
Original post by rugbyladosc
What elitist bull****

Some kids mess about because they just don't understand the lessons. Giving these kids **** teachers will be detrimental.

Wait a second, just because you do not understand, it does NOT give you the right to mess about.

You shut up and ask for help.

Why the **** should a teacher help someone who misbehaves?
Cane them; cane them all. :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending