The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Honestly, I don't think the school can do anything to drastically change the behaviour of a lot of misbehaving students. From my experience, it really is the family that is usually the root of the problem in some way or another.

Having said that, I think a lot of kids are mollycoddled by the system a bit too much...
Original post by arabcnesbit
Education is a privilege, not a right. If you can't behave yourself like a civilised human being then why should you gain the privilege of education?

Devils Advocate. Education is in the UDHR. So it is a right, not a privilege.
Reply 262
Original post by im so academic
Don't play the "family background/home environment" card with me.

Students at secondary school ARE told of the consequences so there is no hiding from them. The information is there for them.

Having studied psychology for 2 years, its abundantly clear that telling people something doesn't work. It's like telling someone climate change is very probably real or that god very probably isn't real.
Reply 263
Why do you think kids in the UK don't see education as a way out of their sh***y home lives?

Because your parents don't care about education.
Original post by Future Doc
Devils Advocate. Education is in the UDHR. So it is a right, not a privilege.

:wink: This old chestnut again. I don't believe you can have a right based on the abuse of another's rights. A right to free education abuses the property rights of other people through forced taxation under the threat of force.

So to me it is not a right, neither is free healthcare or free welfare etc.

Also to make state education compulsory surely is a way of the state indoctrinating it's youth.
Original post by Jacke02

From the age of about 5 you spend more time at school and with your peers than you do with your parents, so are they really the people to blame here? How old do you think you should be to start taking responsibility for your own actions?
:wink: This old chestnut again. I don't believe you can have a right based on the abuse of another's rights. A right to free education abuses the property rights of other people through forced taxation under the threat of force.

So to me it is not a right, neither is free healthcare or free welfare etc.

Also to make state education compulsory surely is a way of the state indoctrinating it's youth.

Can't really argue with that. Although I do see free healthcare as a right, yet I would exclude people who have abused substances e.g. alcohol, drugs, food
Can't really argue with that. Although I do see free healthcare as a right, yet I would exclude people who have abused substances e.g. alcohol, drugs, food

Why should I have to pay for your healthcare?

I thought food, drug and alcohol addictions counted as illnesses these days. Why do these people not deserve medical attention?
Reply 268
From the age of about 5 you spend more time at school and with your peers than you do with your parents, so are they really the people to blame here? How old do you think you should be to start taking responsibility for your own actions?

Nobodies responsible for their actions to a certain extent.

I think your overestimating the freewill of children.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 269
Suspension, followed swiftly by expulsion. Education is a privilege, not a right - and if you abuse it, sod off. And if they complain about not being able to get a job because they have no qualifications, tell them to join the army. Done, and done.
Reply 270
Just a point. While I do sympathise with children with bad home lives. We can hardly blame that on their bad behavior and therefore be of the opinion that there should be no consequences for misbahaving as by that logic if this child were to become an adult and commit a spree of crimes they would be able to get off scot free by blaming their poor home life as a child on their actions as an adult.
Reply 271
fed to the baboons....wait your school doesn't have baboons?
Original post by Jacke02

my mum cared loads about my education, heck, she went to a grammar school!

but she let me make my own mistakes.

and when your on self destruct, and dont care about yourself and what your doing, then quite frankly your not gonna care about a few consequences.

but these are the people that need help, and need to be kept in education so they can turn their lives around, and dont commit suicide...

just thing about it from another point of shoe, and not that prada shoe your wearing [=
Why should I have to pay for your healthcare?

I thought food, drug and alcohol addictions counted as illnesses these days. Why do these people not deserve medical attention?

If you don't want to pay for my healthcare, then do you even want to pay taxes?
Healthcare is right in my eyes because no matter where you come from, how much money you have, you should be able to get treatment for an illness.

Defining an illness is where my problem comes from. I appreciate that people have a extremely different background to me and may force them into drugs etc. so they should be given their first treatment for drugs for free. However if they are a repeat offender and refuse to leave drugs then they aren't entitled to more healthcare.

Same applies to those that want a gastric band to lose weight. Exercise and eat healthily, don't use surgery as a short cut. Also with alcohol, first time is free but if you want an organ transplant then you need to prove you are dedicated. You need to stop drinking and stay clean.
Original post by Jacke02
Having studied psychology for 2 years, its abundantly clear that telling people something doesn't work. It's like telling someone climate change is very probably real or that god very probably isn't real.

Well, if they don't want to take up the opportunity that is education, then so be it.

But they shouldn't try and hinder other people in the process.
Original post by PonchoKid
and when your on self destruct, and dont care about yourself and what your doing, then quite frankly your not gonna care about a few consequences.

Don't care? Then those people fully deserve the consequences, even if they "don't care".

but these are the people that need help, and need to be kept in education so they can turn their lives around, and dont commit suicide...

But for that to happen, they need to respect education.
Reply 276
All lessons held at the bottom of avalanche prone mountains..
If you don't want to pay for my healthcare, then do you even want to pay taxes?
Healthcare is right in my eyes because no matter where you come from, how much money you have, you should be able to get treatment for an illness.

Defining an illness is where my problem comes from. I appreciate that people have a extremely different background to me and may force them into drugs etc. so they should be given their first treatment for drugs for free. However if they are a repeat offender and refuse to leave drugs then they aren't entitled to more healthcare.

Same applies to those that want a gastric band to lose weight. Exercise and eat healthily, don't use surgery as a short cut. Also with alcohol, first time is free but if you want an organ transplant then you need to prove you are dedicated. You need to stop drinking and stay clean.

What if you caught an STD through your own negligence? What about if you got a sports injury? What if you tried to commit suicide? What about smokers?

Slippery slope my friend, slippery slope.

No one wants to pay taxes.
Inspire them, like in that film Coach Carter.

You must enter them through their Hip-Hop glands...

But their behaviour should in no way be tolerated and if they are not willing to comply then yes, they should be thrown out. It's just a waste of taxpayer's money tbh. Sure they may have problems at home but why harm other people's learning? All you have to do is listen and shut up; I see it for myself, it's sad most people are incapable of doing so.

I can understand what you're saying, but should we just "give up" on those kids who are like this? Keep in mind that our environment and nurturing shapes our surroundings, effectively putting the blame on this type of behavior on the parents and the place the students grow up in.

It's pretty easy to go to school, get what you need to done, and go off to college when you're living in a comfortable environment around people who have been doing this for generations, however everyone doesn't have that luxury.

It is true that they have the choice to just sit down, shut up, and learn as you have suggested, however just because they don't doesn't mean their mentally less capable than everyone else; the problem is the environment and whatever occurrences in their life that happen that persuade them to think this way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending